How to Use Silvertails

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

I figured it is about time we started putting together a bit of a small tutorial/HowTo: on using Silvertails and some of it's quirks and features.

1 - The dual Logins
The dual logins no longer exist anymore. Whilst we still run off of two different platforms, there is by and large no need for you to login to the front-end of the site as the only operation you will often need on there is reading articles. You can submit articles via the forums which means logins are irrelevant. You can however still login to the front page should you so wish

2 - The Tagging System
The website, or the forums have a "twitter style" tagging system, where you can mention other users in your post, the user will then be alerted with a notification in the notification menu (see below). This is useful if you want to bring a post or thread to someone's attention. It is simple to use, there are really only two rules to follow
1 - Put an @ before the name of the user - no space between @ and username
2 - If the user has a space in their name you must surround the name in double quotes "

For example username and "user name"

3 - The Alert/Notification system
We have implemented a notification system which allows you to be alerted when certain actions take place, these range from when someone replies to one of your threads, to when a subscription is updated and when someone mentions you.

The settings for this can be found under your User CP (user control panel) You can access these and switch on or off any notifications you wish to receive. This system is fairly new and more options will be added as we go. We will be bringing the tipping competition over to the new site and alerts will be tied into this as well.

When you receive a notification you will see a menu in the top right, before "search" labelled "notifications(1)" if this is red and there is a number in the brackets, then you have a notification, simply click on this menu and you can see the notifications that are available.

More to come, please reply with topic suggestions or edits you would like to see

For those wanting to change their passwords I'll try to explain how to do that. Remember there are two "log ins" for Silvertails, so it would be easier all round to keep the same password for both.

A) Your main log in which gets you into the front page of the site and opens up all the parts of the site you are able to access (Forums, Tipping Comp etc)

B) Your forum log in which gives you access to the forums and allows you to post

Forum Log In:

Do this one first as it is more complicated and you can match you Main log in password to suit.

Go to User CP (Control Panel) at the very top of the page next to your name.

User CP ---> Your Profile (LHS of Page) ---> Change Password ---> then you need to enter your current password, your new password and verify your new password.

Unfortunately there are minimum security standards required for password "strength" now, so you will need to include a lower case letter, an upper case letter, and a number before it will accept your password.

Main Log In :

Go to the very top of the page under Silvertails logo and click "Home", this will take you to the front page. Then if you look along that same top banner you will see "account", mouse over that and you will see a drop down option "edit profile". Click on that and then you can enter a new password and verify it.

Once you change your passwords I would suggest logging out and clearing your cache (history/cookies/ etc) and then logging back in.

Hopefully the above will explain, but if you have any questions post them here.

Dan said:
@globaleagle was it Jatz or Jethro? Either way this thread is above the law in that regards, but I will be adding your post to this post so sit tight :)

I will add user editing too

Yeah, I have moved threads to more relevant forums before (usually the political ones to the General Discussion forum) but I'm not the only one who has moved threads either. Whether it was Jatz or not, I couldn't tell you.

all good I was just toying with @globaleagle :)

I'm just a plaything to y'all! :(

Q: Will the spoiler button be re-introduced?

Love ya work Dan getting the site back up & running :D

Now that Tapatalk had gone the way of the Dodo bird will the Silvertails mobile version be coming back ? :)

Mals said:
Love ya work Dan getting the site back up & running :D

Now that Tapatalk had gone the way of the Dodo bird will the Silvertails mobile version be coming back ? :)
Eventually yes. Probably sometime before the end of the week or early next week

globaleagle said:
I'm just a plaything to y'all! :(

Q: Will the spoiler button be re-introduced?

Not unless I can find a secure version

Using CTRL + F for finding links and content on a webpage

globaleagle said:
Hiya guys and gals.

Here's a computer tip bought to you buy Globaleagle loves you (for a) long time.

If you are trying to find something on this forum page (or any computer page/site really)..

Press Ctrl and then, leaving your finger on the ctrl button, press the "f" key. Usually written as Ctrl+F

A little drop down box will appear on your screen. For me it appears at the top right hand side of the page, just under my web site address bar.

NOW: Type in the word you are looking for and the computer will highlight the word! If there is more than 1 of the same word, it will highlight them all.

FOR EXAMPLE:

You want to know where the word "User CP" is on the page.

1) Press Ctrl+F keys
2)Type User CP in the drop down box
3) See the highlighted words on the page (mine highlights in orange).

Try it out! And you never have to wonder where things are on your page again.

Eg: I just typed User CP whilst typing this and it not only highlights the word near the top of my page, but also where I have typed user cp in the above post!!

TOTALLY COOL HUH!!!!!!

This is a great little feature that will make you look uber kewl to your kids/grandkids (unless you say the words uber kewl)

Thanks for reading.

:)

Changing usernames is currently not possible. Watch this space as it will be soon

Dan said:
Changing usernames is currently not possible. Watch this space as it will be soon

Is this a feature intended for Cam or Darren ;) [joking]

@Dan I know you're omnipotent and that's why your name is in green but here's a suggestion anyway m'lord.

Can url links be in a slightly more obv colour? I completely missed one from VFTH in post 112 in this thread:

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-NRL-NSW-Blues-Team-SOO-1?pid=503648#pid503648

They look almost like the normal text. (as does tagging etc. Dark maroon = almost black)

I missed the link initially and wouldn't mind it being in a more obv colour so vfth doesn't think I was being rude.

Too hard/don't care = no probs! (obv)

@globaleagle for you? no...

just kidding, mobile version or main version

Dan said:

lolsnort

Just the main version.

- I don't know about the mobile version.....I don't have a mobile!

People can contact me via carrier moose.

@Dan

globaleagle said:
Dan said:

lolsnort

Just the main version.

- I don't know about the mobile version.....I don't have a mobile!

People can contact me via carrier moose.

@Dan

With antlers that big, they get good pretty good reception

Nice!

Although the reception under a carrier moose isn't that crash hot.

@globaleagle I sent a moose to you, but it kept going on about episode renewals and rabbits and hats, couldn't make sense of it.

Anyway basically it was supposed to tell you that links have been bolded

Actually it completely screws with the design so I pulled the pin I will work on a better method

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4