Humble pie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

king2213

Reserve Grader
Last night was the Manly of old !

Aggression, hunger & commitment !

We could be a smokey if we can stay healthy !

Jamie Buhrer ( my hero )
DCE ( improving )
NATE MYLES ( Damages opponents in defence )
Tom Turbo ( killing it on the edge )

We now have some depth in the forwards and backs !

If we continue with that intensity with more discipline we could give the competition a rattle !

If we can stay injury free ! I will be getting into more fights at the pub :)

Jamie Buhrer ( my hero )
DCE ( improving )

If we continue with that intensity with more discipline we could give the competition a rattle !

In regards to the 1st half I must have watched a different game to you. Don't think I've seen a more disgraceful attempt at playing a game of footy in my life. Dropped ball, stupid lazy penalties, no direction, meaningless passes in our red zone, next to no kicking game and definitely no game plan. 2nd half seemed like a completely different team had run on the field but the damage had been done. Surely if the spend the entire week at Narra doing drills etc, why don't we see them on the field?

Barrett comes out every week and says "We need to fix our starts" and then we get spanked at the start of the game and have to play catch up all the time. Our attack still looks incredibly clunky, no-one seems to know what their role is.

Its easy to sit back and predict that we will come 2nd last this year based on current form. A lot on this board seem resigned to that. Its the popular vote. But we might not be too far away from 'clicking'. And once we click we can match any team on our day. Stay open minded people, the boys are working hard, we may not be far from turning the corner. We are distant spectators, watching from afar and dont truly know what the energy is like within the team

How good was Jamie Buhrer.

Didn't see the game but not surprised to hear he had a good game. He's a great player, love him to death and hope like hell he stays injury free. Don't forget the "brains trust" at our club was apparently shopping him around at the start of the year, hoping to offload him, probably so we could bring somebody like Robbie Rochow to the club. Geniuses…

Yeah Buhrer really stands out because he is an original Manly player. He just runs great lines, executes perfect tackles and shows great commitment. But he is doing what he always did. In the Manly of old he didn't stand out but now he does.
All these new ex-Penrith, Gold Coast and Souths players invaders we brought in are yet to be developed into the quality that Buhrer is. When and if they get there we will have a Manly team.

Its easy to sit back and predict that we will come 2nd last this year based on current form. A lot on this board seem resigned to that. Its the popular vote. But we might not be too far away from 'clicking'. And once we click we can match any team on our day. Stay open minded people, the boys are working hard, we may not be far from turning the corner. We are distant spectators, watching from afar and dont truly know what the energy is like within the team
The only thing clicking this season is snakes knees, turbo's ankle & matai's shoulder joints :)

Jamie Buhrer ( my hero )
DCE ( improving )

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is no Manly team. Our team from just 2 seasons ago would have destroyed this team. The 2011 premiership team would have put 50 on them.

I'm glad to see Burhere back, and hope to god he stays injury free... DCE improving?? He's on a million bucks a year: I expect better, and his game does not reflect the amount of cap space we spend on him at the moment. Myles? Oxygen thief. Nothing more to say. Tom is going well but I reckon he's still carrying that ankle injury..

Honestly there's no comparison to Manly team's of old. There was an aura of invincibility that they carried: you always knew we were in a game, and opposition teams knew they could not ever relax against us. Now we aren't even a blip on the radar. If, and it's a big if, we make the 8, we will be nothing but cannon fodder.

Storm, Donkeys, Cows will eat us for breakfast: I don't rate the Sharks, they are not particularly good IMHO and should have spanked us by more last night.

I'll be happy to eat my words if we turn it around but it's not gunna happen. We are soft in defense and our attack is stilted, occasionally showing some brilliance but generally throwing the same old plays in the same old way and not looking at all dangerous.

I'm sick of the pity party and really want to get back to being hated. Currently we are not good enough. Simple as that.

In regards to the 1st half I must have watched a different game to you. Don't think I've seen a more disgraceful attempt at playing a game of footy in my life. Dropped ball, stupid lazy penalties, no direction, meaningless passes in our red zone, next to no kicking game and definitely no game plan. 2nd half seemed like a completely different team had run on the field but the damage had been done. Surely if the spend the entire week at Narra doing drills etc, why don't we see them on the field?

I agree with the first half etc ! The thing that was important to me was the attitude change ! Aggression, Commitment, and Hunger !

Still plenty of work to do ! i agree ! but was happy with the attitude !

that 20 minutes after half time was the manly of 08 type stuff. The question is will the players and staff realise this and learn/expand on it or return to where they were?

Will Taupau be given a spell and used like Tamaloulo when he returns knowing that Buhrer and Brown can play 80 minutes elsewhere.

One thing though, about the 'stupid, lazy penalties' - why is it that every game, Manly are guilty of them early on, but seem to magically learn some discipline during the half time break. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the opposition are perfect models of angelic discipline in the first half, but somehow start lying all over the ruck and putting their grubby paws on the ball once they've had their oranges? (Which strangely also seems to coincide with the scoreboard ticking over and the penalty count getting lopsided).

It's a really strange phenomenon in the modern game. Most penalty counts end up roughly even at the end of the match, but one team is more naughty in the first half and then they swap over. Got me baffled, that one...

We lose the opening exchanges and struggle to contain fresh hard running forwards is the belief refs have before the game is started and that is why we get penalized more so early on.

Conversely it evens up when the game slows up and we are seen to be handling the impact better with less need to slow the play the ball down and the perception is bigger forwards struggle to get off the tackled player later in games.

Not saying the above two statements are always the case but perception is reality and until we compete in the impact and start to show some sort of dominance or at the very least "get in the grind" in the early exchanges more often than not we will continue to be targeted.

One thing though, about the 'stupid, lazy penalties' - why is it that every game, Manly are guilty of them early on, but seem to magically learn some discipline during the half time break. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the opposition are perfect models of angelic discipline in the first half, but somehow start lying all over the ruck and putting their grubby paws on the ball once they've had their oranges? (Which strangely also seems to coincide with the scoreboard ticking over and the penalty count getting lopsided).

It's a really strange phenomenon in the modern game. Most penalty counts end up roughly even at the end of the match, but one team is more naughty in the first half and then they swap over. Got me baffled, that one...

It must be a modern day coaching technique.

Whilst munching down on the oranges Flannagen would have been shouting that he wants more penalties I bet......

Friday nights game had a plethora of indiscretions we normally get pinged for get missed. Funnily enough with 2 of the NRL/9 darlings on show. What happens is a good game of footy where the players are relied on to work out who will win. A rarity in todays game.

Jamie Buhrer ( my hero )
DCE ( improving )

The Manly of old rose above adversity and won those tight games feathered friend

We lose the opening exchanges and struggle to contain fresh hard running forwards is the belief refs have before the game is started and that is why we get penalized more so early on.

Conversely it evens up when the game slows up and we are seen to be handling the impact better with less need to slow the play the ball down and the perception is bigger forwards struggle to get off the tackled player later in games.

Not saying the above two statements are always the case but perception is reality and until we compete in the impact and start to show some sort of dominance or at the very least "get in the grind" in the early exchanges more often than not we will continue to be targeted.

We're being denied the opportunity to show any dominance or get into the grind early on, precisely because the officials are penalizing us for the EXACT same things they are not penalizing the opposition for. Seriously - next game, try doing the '1-2-3' count on each tackle. Manly are being given less time to get off the tackled player than the opposition are, and it's part of the reason we are playing catch-up every week.

We're being denied the opportunity to show any dominance or get into the grind early on, precisely because the officials are penalizing us for the EXACT same things they are not penalizing the opposition for. Seriously - next game, try doing the '1-2-3' count on each tackle. Manly are being given less time to get off the tackled player than the opposition are, and it's part of the reason we are playing catch-up every week.
Dominance comes during the initial impact not the slowing element of a tackle, if the perception is you are struggling to contain a forward pack in the impact you will receive less latitude in slowing it down.

I'm saying this is the reasoning behind the bias counts, i'm not saying it is always a fair perception to have of Manly--- but over the last few years we are not dominating or containing larger mobile packs as good as the past.

I would prefer to change the perception and "somewhat" control our destiny than hope Refs better judge each tackle which is out of our control.

Along with other teams that are better in slowing down the play the ball in less obvious ways with better techniques.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2