Hypothetical re Gutho

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

which back would you drop to retain Gutho?

• Hiku

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Jorge

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Lyon or Matai or Snake

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • other

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • no one

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Alby

Reserve Grader
Ok so Gutho is gone now. Hypothetically, if you were to have dropped someone in first grade to retain him, who would it be?

Leary or T Red are expendable now with all the tweener back rower signings.

If I'm dropping anyone it's to bring the Tourist Trophy man in, not Morrissey. Gutho isn't in our first 18.

If I'm dropping anyone, it's the bloke that cut Gutho's hair. I'd put one on the jaw of that prick so hard he'd spin 3 times before hitting the deck.

Of course....I'm just jealous because I am forced to sport a 2V special. Feckin young blokes and their hair cuts give me the sh1ts! Lucky bastards.

Jorge drives me crazy - he is a Trex on the wing - has all the skills but zero sense of awareness of when to help our exhausted forwards with a few nippy hit ups.
His first attempt at a tackle fails, and he bloody stops and lets others chase down the attacker - not a Fan :mad:

Watching the Finals has shown up how much workload other centres and wingers do in the game. Keeps their forwards fresher. Ours a great at scoring and that's it.@:rolleyes:

Jorge drives me crazy - he is a Trex on the wing - has all the skills but zero sense of awareness of when to help our exhausted forwards with a few nippy hit ups.
His first attempt at a tackle fails, and he bloody stops and lets others chase down the attacker - not a Fan :mad:

Watching the Finals has shown up how much workload other centres and wingers do in the game. Keeps their forwards fresher. Ours a great at scoring and that's it.@:rolleyes:

Can't agree with all of that, Taufua was one of our best this year and some of the areas criticised are a touch unwarranted, there would be quite a few that he has hit whose bodies would say the 1st up tackle is pretty strong. And I'd never accuse Matai of shirking his work and not helping out enough when we need tough yards made

Last edited:
If I'm dropping anyone, it's the bloke that cut Gutho's hair. I'd put one on the jaw of that prick so hard he'd spin 3 times before hitting the deck.

Of course....I'm just jealous because I am forced to sport a 2V special. Feckin young blokes and their hair cuts give me the sh1ts! Lucky bastards.
Funny, I always imagined you with hair

Can't agree with that, Taufua was on of our best this year. And I'd never accuse Matai of shirking his work and not helping out enough when we need tough yards made
Disagree about Jorge's commitment to work, we all yell at him from the Try Stand like we did with Trex :mad:

I'm not accusing Matai of shirking anything.
The reality is that he is physically limited now, whilst Jorge is able bodied but lethargic.

Matai's issue is his physical inability to raise his heavily bandaged arms.
Whilst his heart is in it, his flaying arm on the defensive line does not stop anybody.
Matai still defends well coming out of the line. But he never stops anyone running to his sides now - especially to his right @:cool:

Lets hope Baz has them all practicing catching a bomb, as well as a regather of a short kick off - ASAP @:cool:

That was the 2014 version of Taufua, who was playing injured all year.
He was great, and back to his best, this year IMO

G'day all,Don't forget the fullbacks either.Look at Boyds intercept the other night and his involvement throughout the game,the young bloke Munster in a losing Melbourne team ,the same with Tuivasa for the chooks and and Dugans efforts for the Dragons and even Gordon for the sharks.All should be on notice that this is what's expected.
cheers mike

So why did he sign earlier in the year?

'Whilst the club is reluctant to let Clinton go, we recognise the importance of his development at this stage of his career...'

I don't know. Make of that what you will. I personally don't think he'd be fond of remaining in reserves, unsure when he'll get a starting gig in first grade.

It was probably a mutual decision behind closed doors.

I think it's a really good question to ask, ok we want to keep him, but who does that mean is left out. It's like everywhere when people talk about the Top 8 and they name 12 teams to make the 8. For someone to make it, someone has to miss out.

Now having said that I'm going to contradict myself (a bit). I think the reality is we have 3 back who are ageing and the reality is they will rarely be on the field at one time in 2016. I would also have Killer at 5/8. But assuming people stay on the field its 1. Snake, 2. Tommy T, 3. Hiku 4. Matai 5. Gutho. So it's Taufau for me that misses out. I think Tommy T and Gutho would have added a lot of speed and x-factor, and a lot of enthusiasm.

Maybe Gutho's injury hasn't responded as expected and will not return as good as before, just a thought as we never get injury updates. Seems a strange decision if he is back to 100% since we have a few aging players

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6