I hate origin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

xavier

I hate the hype. I hate the quasi religious overtones, the gladatorial video montages in slow motion, the embarressing channel nine promos, the endless pontifications of phil gould, the mindless parochialism, the fact that it has always been driven by queenslands ingrained inferiority complex with NSW. I hate the fact that NSW has now fully bought into the Uber hype/parochialism. I hate those stupid blue wigs. I hate the way the NSW coach, no matter what (including if he is ricky stuart), gets framed every year as some sought of messiah/genius. I hate the blanket media coverage. I hate Josh Reynolds. I hate the fact we've now lost Watmough for 4 games and DCE's knee is probably f.cked.

I don't care that I'm a new south welshman, i don't identify to anyone as such, and take no pride in us beating our slack jawed cousins up north. I would take one premiership for manly over 20 consecutive NSW origin wins.

Above all, I hate the way origin trashes the premiership, takes a huge chunk out of the middle of the season, drains it of all its intensity, penalises the top teams, and leaves them with injured, suspended and chronically drained personnel.

Fire up Xavier. :p

I acknowledge your points mate, and some are very valid and I agree with.
I too would take a Manly premiership over a SOO series win any day of the week, but I love SOO and I love Manly.
I think they are both awesome concepts.
Injuries happen in SOO but they happen in club land too. Remember DCE had the injury before SOO.
And whilst I'd love to have Choc in our team over the next four weeks, especially with Gift out, I think we will see the benefits of this forced hiatus in August/September.

xavier said:
I hate the hype. I hate the quasi religious overtones, the gladatorial video montages in slow motion, the embarressing channel nine promos, the endless pontifications of phil gould, the mindless parochialism, the fact that it has always been driven by queenslands ingrained inferiority complex with NSW. I hate the fact that NSW has now fully bought into the Uber hype/parochialism. I hate those stupid blue wigs. I hate the way the NSW coach, no matter what (including if he is ricky stuart), gets framed every year as some sought of messiah/genius. I hate the blanket media coverage. I hate Josh Reynolds. I hate the fact we've now lost Watmough for 4 games and DCE's knee is probably f.cked.

I don't care that I'm a new south welshman, i don't identify to anyone as such, and take no pride in us beating our slack jawed cousins up north. I would take one premiership for manly over 20 consecutive NSW origin wins.

Above all, I hate the way origin trashes the premiership, takes a huge chunk out of the middle of the season, drains it of all its intensity, penalises the top teams, and leaves them with injured, suspended and chronically drained personnel.

Well put, I heartily agree. It surprises me when I travel interstate that the denizens of those regions strongly identify with their states, and consider it a badge of honour to get one up over NSW. Inferiority in action I suppose. I consider myself an Australian.

Have any of you be in QLD during the series?

I have and took great pleasure in winning this one.

Also what about the quality of the game. Granted game 2 was not great (for drama not quality) but I would struggle to find a better game than the forst. I have a heap of non league mates who watched game 2 after hearing about game 1...and will be joining me at a Manly match.

I ****en love SOO!! I think it's the best thing going. The only down side is the no punching rule. There would be not as much niggly sh1t in the game if you could smack someone in the gob. I'm a slack jawed Qld cousin though. We revert to these tactics because we are inherently inferior to the other highly intelligent States.

SOO didn't instruct Choc and Tamou to perform that tackle in the style they did. DCE wasn't forced to take the field either.

One thing that fans never ever, or very rarely take into account is the fact that the PLAYERS themselves LOVE SOO. They want to be picked, they want to play. They WANT to represent their State with pride. And good on them for that!

To call Qld and her people inferior, hillbilly, slack jawed or backwards screams volumes about your own mindsets. You believe you are better, so why hide behind the old, "I don't care where you come from, because it doesn't bother me where you are from", tough man comedy routine?? Or does that only apply to rugby league players, and fans?

I don't know....I think you are just confused in general.

mozgrame said:
I ... love SOO!! I think it's the best thing going. The only down side is the no punching rule. There would be not as much niggly sh1t in the game if you could smack someone in the gob. I'm a slack jawed Qld cousin though. We revert to these tactics because we are inherently inferior to the other highly intelligent States.

SOO didn't instruct Choc and Tamou to perform that tackle in the style they did. DCE wasn't forced to take the field either.

One thing that fans never ever, or very rarely take into account is the fact that the PLAYERS themselves LOVE SOO. They want to be picked, they want to play. They WANT to represent their State with pride. And good on them for that!

To call Qld and her people inferior, hillbilly, slack jawed or backwards screams volumes about your own mindsets. You believe you are better, so why hide behind the old, "I don't care where you come from, because it doesn't bother me where you are from", tough man comedy routine?? Or does that only apply to rugby league players, and fans?

Thanks for sorting me out and putting me straight mozgram. You've drilled down and found my essential problem: I am indeed often "confused in general". I also have a massive propensity for whingeing and a tendency to crudely stereotype whole states of people. I blame my parents of course.

I have been told many times that queenslanders are no more lacking in the jaw department than people from other states. Its also apparently not true that there are some people up there with two heads. I usually try to keep my posts as factually sound as possible. Thanks for clearing up the misrepresentation.

xavier said:

Don't agree - BUT I LOVE YOUR POST!!!

Manufactured rivalry, enjoyed it as a kid but after SuperLeague have no interest.

To me the home of Origin is QLD and the home of the NRL is NSW this is why NSW does not have as much passion for the series as QLD.

The players buy into it as it is in their interest to do so---nothing wrong with that as it feeds the manufactured passion over and over to the point it eventually becomes a culture.

The series will so easily die if money is not poured in to manufacture the hatred as was almost the case during the SuperLeague years and the 5-7 years after.

The best thing that happened to the series is QLD having a dominant period which refueled the passion in NSW to care about the concept again.

Don't agree - watching two of the strongest RL Teams contest a series is the best.
Especially as there are limited Manly Players to worry about getting injured :angel:

Whilst the Internationals remain easy beats, there is nothing better. :)

Its these games that Players measure themselves against :cool:

xavier said:
mozgrame said:
I ... love SOO!! I think it's the best thing going. The only down side is the no punching rule. There would be not as much niggly sh1t in the game if you could smack someone in the gob. I'm a slack jawed Qld cousin though. We revert to these tactics because we are inherently inferior to the other highly intelligent States.

Thanks for sorting me out and putting me straight mozgram. You've drilled down and found my essential problem: I am indeed often "confused in general". I also have a massive propensity for whingeing and a tendency to crudely stereotype whole states of people. I blame my parents of course.

I have been told many times that queenslanders are no more lacking in the jaw department than people from other states. Its also apparently not true that there are some people up there with two heads. I usually try to keep my posts as factually sound as possible. Thanks for clearing up the misrepresentation.

No worries mate. Anytime. LOL!! I on the other hand, would never assume a NSW born resident is inferior in any way. Particularly with spelling for instance. I find it abhorrent that people take the time to correct others for the smallest of mistakes. Being a Qld native, it would be ridiculous of me to think of myself on an equal academic level to higher beings. No Sir..I know my place.

Cheers
Mozgram(e)

PS...It's all tongue in cheek Bro!! Right?? I hope those that agree with you realise you were joking, other wise, they may appear a little silly. :p

As a South Aussie I have no vested interest either way in Origin other than hoping any Manly players selected play well and don't get injured or suspended. But since I saw my first game in 1991 (that's when they first televised the games in Adelaide) I do like watching the games.

I just wish they would drop this no punching BS, and not just for Origin. Even Joey said it on The Footy Show last night, a punch-up in the first 10 minutes on Wednesday night would have got out most, if not all of the tension and niggling and the game itself would have been better for it.

No punching rule or not, it might have been worth 10 in the bin to start throwing a few. After all, they aren't going to send every player on the field to the sin bin are they. They'd be left with nothing but wingers :p

mozgrame said:
xavier said:
mozgrame said:

No worries mate. Anytime. LOL!! I on the other hand, would never assume a NSW born resident is inferior in any way. Particularly with spelling for instance. I find it abhorrent that people take the time to correct others for the smallest of mistakes. Being a Qld native, it would be ridiculous of me to think of myself on an equal academic level to higher beings. No Sir..I know my place.

Cheers
Mozgram(e)

PS...It's all tongue in cheek Bro!! Right?? I hope those that agree with you realise you were joking, other wise, they may appear a little silly. :p

Your chips showing again moz(e). Just as well you're a manly supporter.

xavier said:
mozgrame said:
xavier said:
mozgrame said:

Cheers
Mozgram(e)

LOL!! It's Chip's as in, my chip's the same size as your chip. Lucky you're a Manly supporter. :D:p:angel:

Have a great weekend buddy!!! GO MANLY!!!! :cool:

mozgrame said:
xavier said:
mozgrame said:
xavier said:
mozgrame said:

Cheers
Mozgram(e)

LOL!! It's Chip's as in, my chip's the same size as your chip. Lucky you're a Manly supporter. :D:p:angel:

Friendly banter :) this threads a lot more fun than that other thread

Clint said:
Friendly banter :) this threads a lot more fun than that other thread
Stop whingeing about that other thread for pity's sake !. Ohh, If there's one thing a can't stand, its ppl complaining about the threads that seem too serious. :). They're not, OK?

Technical Coach said:
Manufactured rivalry, enjoyed it as a kid but after SuperLeague have no interest.

To me the home of Origin is QLD and the home of the NRL is NSW this is why NSW does not have as much passion for the series as QLD.

The players buy into it as it is in their interest to do so---nothing wrong with that as it feeds the manufactured passion over and over to the point it eventually becomes a culture.

The series will so easily die if money is not poured in to manufacture the hatred as was almost the case during the SuperLeague years and the 5-7 years after.

The best thing that happened to the series is QLD having a dominant period which refueled the passion in NSW to care about the concept again.

TC, you obviously have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the history of SOO. What astounds me is your abilitity to pontificate as expert in topics in which you are devoid of any knowledge whatsoever.

To suggest the rivalry was manufactured, and the players "buy" into it is ridiculous. To suggest the hatred was somehow created by an advertising guru is to display an ignorance of the facts which is breath taking.

For 70 years Qld players, playing in the Syd comp had to play for NSW. And for 70 years NSW flogged QLD and weren't backward about boasting who had the strongest comp. Arthur Beetson was forced by the eligibility rule to play for NSW for 10 years and even Captained NSW to victory. When in 1980, given the opportunity to prove what they had always believed, that they were as good if not better than NSW they grabbed it with a passion and fervour that has taken NSW 3 decades to match.

In the late 70's I played a year in the Brisbane comp and I can assure you the ill feeling towards NSW by Qld players was well formed and vocalised way before your fanciful dreams of manufacture by mythical beings. the hatred was however jumped upon by clever people in the media.

mozgrame said:
xavier said:
mozgrame said:
xavier said:
mozgrame said:

Cheers
Mozgram(e)

Touche! I'm done. I've got nothin left.
Have a great weekend yourself.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8