I just dont get it

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Look,I get the point made by WAMF and others about the press conference which has been discussed ad nauseum in the media and has polarised fans.I dont necessarily agree but I do get that point of view totally and there is no doubt things could have been done better.Annesely said ACC did it to shake the tree to see what happens and warn these guys off.Plenty will agree with that.plenty wont.It has happened and we need to move on.

Now the real issue.What I dont get in all this is that we heard last night from a senior Lib polly with a long record in rugby league who described the situation a scary and extremely serious.He was the ONLY PERSON ON THAT SHOW last night who has been briefed at a higher level than CEO'S yet he was howled down by our cab driver friend.Kent and co. As was a similarly briefed ASADA person who said they would be looking at 150 and possibly more people as the hotlines have been providing information.

On the other hand Hadley,Kent,and plenty of similarly unbriefed fans who have absolutely and utterly no insight into the evidence held by authorities have declared it a hoax.Whether the public should have more information is a point for debate but the simple fact is we haven't.I will run with the fully briefed experienced league mans assessment at this stage.

The very presence of Lockyer on that show and commenting on drugs in sport simply highlights the fact that league always buried its head in the sand and I dont want to see that happen here.

I have spent a lot of time with past and present footballers,both at NRL and junior level through coaching and one thing I can tell you is that illicit drugs are absolutely rife in our game and have been for a long time.I could give you a list of names you would not believe and this is not third hand information.It comes from personal experience.It is getting more and more prevalent every year and was always going to attract the organised criminal element because its usage is through the roof.The problem is already endemic and the performance enhancing stuff,although not endemic yet, is a natural progression.
Lets hope it hasnt progessed at the same rate as illicit drugs or we do have a problem.

I do agree with much of what you have written, Susan but it's not all black and white.
If you missed the 7.30 report last night on the subject, here it is.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3690774.htm

GEORGE BRANDIS: I do wonder why it was that it wasn't left to the Australian Crime Commission and the Australian Federal Police to make announcements of this kind at a time of their own choosing rather than to present this as a political coup for Mr Clare and Senator Lundy.

CONOR DUFFY: Crime Commission chief John Lawler says the risk to athletes' health justified the response. He was also pressed on claims organised crime had infiltrated sport. So far the only evidence provided has been contested allegations of meetings with bikies.

JOHN LAWLER (Tuesday): It was my judgment that action needed to taken to alert the public, to alert those criminals who were involved in the supply of these substances and to put them on notice and indeed to alert the codes in a classified briefing so that they could do and to take the preventative measures to harden the environment. And in one sense the extensive media publicity is unfortunate that if people feel as though they've been unduly tarnished ...

GEORGE BRANDIS: Yeah, but you're the ones who had the press conference.

JOHN LAWLER: I'm sorry?

GEORGE BRANDIS: You're the ones who had the press conference. You can hardly say the extensive media publicity is unfortunate.

Yep,this is a polarising issue.Political advantage versus the tree shaking designed to draw guilty parties out while tainting innocents.I can see both sides WAMF but the big issue is the drugs,not political behaviour which to be honest is simply disgraceful and has been for a while.

If MMM reports are true ACC might have its first culprit due to pressure which durther complicates the argument.Not that i will be believing MMM till i get confirmation.

I read elsewhere, that a person from the ACC said they have "made the numbers up" due to media pressure

Wow, foolish thing to say

Kiwi Eagle said:
I read elsewhere, that a person from the ACC said they have "made the numbers up" due to media pressure

Can you please provide a link to that statement? Thanks.

Maybe the acc and asada will see susan's post, force daniel to fess up the ip address...find susan and make him say some of the names he knows.

!

See sometimes the flies distract Diablo

A week down the track and no one, the fans, the Ceo's the media can believe that the ends justify the means. The public showing of well nothing really

The ACC has a dossier containing names with links to undesirables. You can read that in the telegraph gossip pages every week. You could pick any Industry In Australia dominated by the same age group and say there is a drug culture with links to organised crime, as most drugs essentially originate from organised crime. Nothing new here. Recently a survey suggested that Australians under 35 have the highest uptake of drugs in the world, around 35%, followed by New Zealand

The ACC has issued this broad statement to warn off criminals . This is what a parent does when there kids hang out with wankers, not what a crime commision does to catch organised criminals. They gain evidence for prosecution not wish them away, or spray them with hose

Can we imagine the chief of police getting on TV and saying we have tapped phones, committed vast resources, found illegalities or drug distribution, so stop it and move on or come an tell us more........please, it would be bloody helpful

Maybe they are just saying , these footy blokes are up to no good, they have heaps of cash and free time but they are hard to catch as they have a team culture that wont dob on there mates

They even got sports that were not associated to be part of the stance. I have no doubt that there is a drug problem amongst young people being paid big bucks. There is a drugs in all parts of society. But when have they ever fired off a salvo before a raid

Look of course there are drugs in sport and we all know it , so Im sure they will find something, but has the kerfuffle be justified

Forget the issue for a minute and think of how it went down. We have to believe that this is either amateur hour or ...................you fill in the blanks

Oh and by the way, K Rudd is gaining on Juliar, the mining tax bought in a poofteenth of what was budgeted and Mp's are desserting the sinking ship . Oh and this sports stories now headline stuff, with current affairs shows springing up quicker than a plot of shrooms after a heavy rain

Kiwi Eagle said:

Heard her interviewed this morning and she said that she was under pressure to put a figure on how many athletes are likely to be involved, so 150 was her best educated "guess". Unfortunately the media have picked that up and run with it (surprise, surprise !!!)

By illicit drug use Susan are you talking performance enhancing or recreational ?? If you mean recreational, then doesn't surprise me in the least, that's this generations choice of poison, they don't drink any more they get on the chemicals. Society wide issue that one, not just footballers.

Kiwi Eagle said:

The head of ASADA came up with the number of 150. She admitted she was being pressured to come up with a number and she came up with 150 based on what she had before her in terms of information and experience.

Cand C i mean recreational drugs,have no insight into the other stuff other than some vague rumours.

I would imagine anyone using it would be keeping it quiet.The rec stuff is such a part of young peoples lives these days there is not the same secrecy.Problem is they both attract the same criminal element when the market is big enough.Is the performance enhancing market big enough - I have no idea but i guess we will find out in the coming months.

The illicit drugs stuff is more a personal issue for the players in my opinion as it cant help them performance wise.The main issue with them is the effect it has on club culture and young players coming into the club from the country etc. For example,the notorious underperforming roosters of the 80s and our friends in the steel city over the last few years.

Lol, quoting George Brandis as a sane and balanced opinion without any agenda to push?

"I intend to continue to call to the attention of the Australian people the extremely alarming, frightening similarities between the methods employed by contemporary green politics and the methods and the values of the Nazis" - George Brandis

In the interview of Lawler quoted in bold above, George Brandis ignored the central qualifier "in one sense" to push an extremist positioning and twisting of what Lawler said.

The only positive is our players are used to it now and as usual they will find a way to get the job done well.We have been blessed with a pretty resilient bunch of guys at Manly.And Toovey is a good man to have at their back.

Rex said:
Lol, quoting George Brandis as a sane and balanced opinion without any agenda to push?

"I intend to continue to call to the attention of the Australian people the extremely alarming, frightening similarities between the methods employed by contemporary green politics and the methods and the values of the Nazis" - George Brandis

In the interview of Lawler quoted in bold above, George Brandis ignored the central qualifier "in one sense" to push an extremist positioning and twisting of what Lawler said.

No, Brandis made the point that you can't complain about the media coverage when you're the one that called the press conference.

Seems like a fair point to me.

Rex said:
He said "in one sense" WAMF. Can you not read? George Brandis disease contagious?

Playing the man, Rex? You've already lost if you need to go down that path.
Focus on the rest of his statements, not merely three words that are pie in the sky.

The illicit party drugs should be left out of this enquiry altogether .
Its a part of life these days ,its no different than binge drinking ,except probably funner.

Just a question here, from someone older than most and whose "poison" of choice is a nice Shiraz preceeded by maybe 2 or 3 beers (read into that I have ZERO knowledge of rec drugs).

People say that rec drugs are not "performance enhancing"...and fair enough BUT lets say a big forward plays his heart out on Friday night, makes 40 tackles and wins man of the match. At that level his body must be battered and bruised beyond imagination.

SO, as he doesn't have to go back to "work" (training) until Monday, he gets as high as a kite on Saturday / Sunday (at home in nhis own time) knowing full well it will be washed out of his system by Monday, and thus taking away the pain in the recovery period. I make these comments as that had been mentioned before by I seem to remember about Andrew Johns.

Now maybe I'm on a wrong track here, but if that is in fact what can happen then perhaps they are in essence "performance enhancing"

Can you young blokes tell me if I am on the right or wrong track here???

Mark from Brisbane said:
Just a question here, from someone older than most and whose "poison" of choice is a nice Shiraz preceeded by maybe 2 or 3 beers (read into that I have ZERO knowledge of rec drugs).

People say that rec drugs are not "performance enhancing"...and fair enough BUT lets say a big forward plays his heart out on Friday night, makes 40 tackles and wins man of the match. At that level his body must be battered and bruised beyond imagination.

SO, as he doesn't have to go back to "work" (training) until Monday, he gets as high as a kite on Saturday / Sunday (at home in nhis own time) knowing full well it will be washed out of his system by Monday, and thus taking away the pain in the recovery period. I make these comments as that had been mentioned before by I seem to remember about Andrew Johns.

Now maybe I'm on a wrong track here, but if that is in fact what can happen then perhaps they are in essence "performance enhancing"

Can you young blokes tell me if I am on the right or wrong track here???

No way Mark. Depending on what you take, you usually feel like a bag of **** for a few days after. Therefore severely hampering your preparation for the following weeks game. Recreational drugs definately not performance enhancing IMO.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4