I was driven out: Grant Mayer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
I was driven out: Grant Mayer

By Dean Ritchie | June 18, 2009
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25652036-5006066,00.html

IN THE end, he could no longer work with Max Delmege. After nine months of bitter and ugly boardroom infighting, a fed-up chief executive Grant Mayer yesterday quit the Manly Sea Eagles.

His resignation was accepted at a Sea Eagles board meeting last night.

Mayer has negotiated a settlement and will stay on with the club for four weeks to assist the board with the transition to a new CEO. He has not applied for the vacant CEO positions at Parramatta or Cronulla.

Manly's board was split 5-2 against Mayer. He had unqualified support from co-owners Rick and Scott Penn but opponents in Delmege, Brett Delmege, Bob Reilly, Peter Bryant and Phil Dean.

The Daily Telegraph first broke the Mayer decision on its website yesterday at 3pm. By 4.30pm, members of Delmege's faction shut down Manly's website after fans flooded the forum criticising the decision. Scott Penn then demanded it be reopened.

A management committee has been formed to help find a new CEO and assist in running the club.

Manly Leagues Club CEO Peter Spray will become interim Sea Eagles CEO for the rest of this season.

The Daily Telegraph had lunch with Mayer yesterday and he revealed the reason he was driven out.

"The sad part is that this decision was based on politics, not performance," he said. "I can't help but take this personally - but no CEO can operate with a split board.

"(However) I can walk away knowing I have done my best for Manly and I think the results speak for themselves. My relationship with the chairman (Scott Penn) it seems has caused much of the political heartache.

"I'm sad but the ongoing boardroom issues have taken their toll on me and my family.

"Five board members decided I wasn't the man for the job and they made it quite clear they believe the organisation needs a change. I'm still not sure on what basis they've made this decision but I've no option but to accept five beats two every time."

Although Mayer won't admit it publicly, he simply could not work with the Delmege family. The Penns and Delmeges now must agree on a new CEO - that will be difficult.

Mayer took Manly from a $9 million business in 2006 to a $12.5 million business today, despite cuts in Leagues Club funding. He was under contract until the end of this season.

Asked whether he disliked Delmege, he said: "I don't dislike anybody . . . this is not personal.

"I always treated my job as a business. Merchandise has tripled and membership has tripled. And in terms of sponsorship dollars, Manly is rated No. 2 in the difficult Sydney market.

"I take great pride in that."

Manly coach Des Hasler, who was a staunch supporter of Mayer, was upset last night at the news.

He said: "Grant is a very good CEO. He has done a tremendous job.

"It is a real shame he has resigned. I'm disappointed he's going. He has runs on the board (with) premiership success and sponsorship."

Mayer said he was not interested in the Sharks or Eels jobs but would take his young family on a holiday.

"Speculation I will reappear at another club is off target . . . I have no intentions of joining another club at this stage," he said. "I intend to take four to six weeks off to give some time to my wife and three sons."

Egos not business ruled day at Grant Mayer quits
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25652145-5016307,00.html

IF ONLY they had a replacement CEO in mind and a business plan moving forward. But they don't.

The five directors who forced Grant Mayer to resign have finally won their petty battle.

Or have they?

Manly are now in a complete and utter mess.

Mayer took the club from a $9 million business to a $12.5 million business. He was the man behind sponsorship and recruitment.

Now Manly have been left high and dry. A club in turmoil.

And those who drove him out - Max Delmege, Brett Delmege, Bob Reilly, Peter Bryant and Phil Dean - have no idea what tomorrow will bring. That's because, simply, there is no plan in place. Manly are rudderless. These directors didn't have Manly at heart. They just wanted Mayer's head.

Well, last night they got that. But if the Sea Eagles collapse further into the mire, they only have themselves to blame.

It was a selfish decision, it was bitter and it was most certainly personal.

They will wake up this morning and probably puff their chest out when, in fact, they should all hang their heads in shame.

Why is it that the gang of 5 don't have to explain their decision to the supporters?  Its because they don't give a stuff about us.

Maybe Max will go behind Des' back again and sign Monnas for next year so that they can let Ox go?

They are supposed to be talking on behalf of the members guys. If you disagree, get off your arses, call a meeting, and do something about it.

Cliffy seems to be the only one wanting to actually do something tangible.

I'm not a member, so my opinion is really meaningless.

tookey link said:
Why is it that the gang of 5 don't have to explain their decision to the supporters?  Its because they don't give a stuff about us.
Well 2 of the gang are Delmeges, they do not have to answer to anyone. 2 are Football Club nominees, they are accountable to the Football Club for their actions, and one is the Leagues Club nominee so is accountable to the Leagues Club.

No reason why members of the Footy Club and Leagues Club cannot demand explanations of their reps.

Dessie is a winner and commands respect.  And he reeks of integrity.  So his support of Mayer speaks volumes.  Delmege's reported choice to shut down the mwse forum site in the face of criticism of his actions, like his failure to articulate a coherent explanation of his extraordinary actions, similarly speaks volumes.

It's time to demand answers, for those with power to demand answers. Or if this isn't the extraordinary action which stimulates an extraordinary response from the masses, then exactly what will be? Time for a revolution in the football club and the leagues club if there continues to be no accountability and no adequate explanation by them.

Well said Rex.

Dessie really does ooze integrity, and his support of Grant spoke volumes.

Delmege has never explained why he was so hell bent on removing Grant, and I think we all as supporters and Grant himself deserve to know the real reason..

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
or maybe Des will be the next one stabbed in the back

KPI's to return ? ? ? ? ?

Maybe now the Football Club will try and get rid of the Screaming Eagles packages as well to promote Football Club membership.

Everyone has stated criticism of all the politics being aired in public, and we read that Mayer had lunch with the Newspaper yesterday to break the news to them 1st, rather than all the members and supporters, I don't like that tbh

I do find the timing interesting that Fitzgerald is punted from Parra and Mayer resigns not long after that news. Although he is issuing strong denials on the Parra front, we shall see at years end how good that word is

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Everyone has stated criticism of all the politics being aired in public, and we read that Mayer had lunch with the Newspaper yesterday to break the news to them 1st, rather than all the members and supporters, I don't like that tbh

I do find the timing interesting that Fitzgerald is punted from Parra and Mayer resigns not long after that news. Although he is issuing strong denials on the Parra front, we shall see at years end how good that word is

How would you like Mayer to have informed you? A personal phone call? For one he is no longer employed by the club so he really has no responsibility to the supporters. (Unlike others who have caused this mess.) And secondly the media is the only practical way to inform people, its not like he could ring each and every manly fan personally.

He did subtly hint about it in an email conversation I was having with him, I had a feeling he was going to leave, soon, just had no idea it would be that soon

Rusty link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180762.msg227974#msg227974 date=1245299700]

How would you like Mayer to have informed you? A personal phone call? For one he is no longer employed by the club so he really has no responsibility to the supporters. (Unlike others who have caused this mess.) And secondly the media is the only practical way to inform people, its not like he could ring each and every manly fan personally.

[/quote]

I pay for my membership, and get many emails from the club each week, including last night when the news was officially forwarded to me through that avenue.

The paying fans imo should have been the ones informed 1st, and that email should have gone out before sitting down with the Telecrap, especially a mob that loves nothing more than sinking the boot into Manly and Brett Stewart

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=180762.msg227985#msg227985 date=1245301745]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180762.msg227974#msg227974 date=1245299700]

[/quote]

I pay for my membership, and get many emails from the club each week, including last night when the news was officially forwarded to me through that avenue.

The paying fans imo should have been the ones informed 1st, and that email should have gone out before sitting down with the Telecrap, especially a mob that loves nothing more than sinking the boot into Manly and Brett Stewart
[/quote]

You think Mayer has any access to these forms of communication now? I would say from the look of it he quit when he was no longer able to run the club and by that time it was too late to use internal communications to let you know.

Also the man owes you and the rest of us no loyalty, look how the club has treated him and ask yourself if you would care less about the fans of a club who had just booted you after all the hard work you had put in.

If he was leaving on good terms I would understand your view but he is not.

This was a job for him, one he was good at, and one he didn't deserve to lose. I don't know that he was ever a Manly fan before he got the job and I certainly doubt he would be one now.

You're making me weep Rusty.  Support the team mate.  I've lived a long time and seen many CEOs come and go, but the team lives on.  Get a grip.

Even if he didn't have any access to those forms of communication, the official press release should have come 1st, rather than sitting down with a pack of journo's imo.

He owes all of us nothing, that is correct, but after himself lamenting the public nature of this issue fuelled by the combatants, he could have been more professional personally,and not gone along that route so quickly himself. He could have waited and still had the same amount of say

DSM5 link said:
You're making me weep Rusty.  Support the team mate.  I've lived a long time and seen many CEOs come and go, but the team lives on.  Get a grip.

I do support the team, I will be there on the weekend, as I will be every chance I can. I have missed but 3 games this year including away games and with any luck I will make the rest.

I want the team to do well, and this is part of that. My support of the team should not be in question.

In the end it is not the loss of Mayer that upsets me, because DSM5 is right - CEOs come and go.

It is the manner in which Mayer has been forced to go and the forces in the club that are undermining it. They are still around and remain to fester!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6