IF Blues want game 2....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Bring in Choc- that blistering start with Choc would have been unstoppable as he has THE quickest play the ball in the game after bending the line.
Get T Rex on after 20 mins please.
Carney must be kept at 5/8 & is a good bet with Gift for MOM honours in Sydney, both below best game 1 but WILL bounce back.
Farah - with up tempo game had required zip to trouble the ruck area. Still not convinced a better origin player than Ennis but can take better advantage of a high tempo play the ball.
Lose Creagh - Merrin was solid & totally disagree about Snakes performance. He was reliable & professional with some nice darts from dummy half & decent kick returns. The only critisism that could go Snakes way is not enough involvement in taking on the line but if your SOO coach wants a catch, straighten attack, pass....thats what you do.
Finally -no penalty shots at goal unless leading by 6 or 12 - use all 17 players - keep the same team besides Creagh - NSW in game 2 by 10 - 16 points.

Snake was solid and must be kept. They have to stick with Carney and Pearce for this series, give them some time together. Gotta agree with you MK, Creagh out - Choc in should be the only change. Keep Buhrer, he is a utility and will be able to cover hooker and back row if there any injuries.

Stevo said:
1 would do
True, but get set for a reasonably convincing win.
Other factors - Uate needs more faith of inside men & STAY wider in defence.
Keep the heat on - a penalty shot at goal unless holding a 12 point lead or 6 points with under 10 to go is negative & gives the Qlders a breather- Smith said later Qld would have done it, but I doubt it.

With the crowd behind them, NSW would have won that game if it was in Sydney. If they lose the series they have no one to blame but them$elve$.

We need more size in the forwards.NSW needs to rotate 4 big props at 10 - 15 minute intervals. Tamouh,King,TomLL,Kite or Bailey. Push Gallen back to 2nd row with Choc and Gift at lock. T Rex,Bird,TLL ,Kite or Bailey on bench

Why do we need more size in the forwards?

We made 753m including Creagh's magestic 29m, they made 539m. We dominated up front, the only bloke to cause us any problems was Hannant but he didnt last long.

mickqld said:
We need more size in the forwards.NSW needs to rotate 4 big props at 10 - 15 minute intervals. Tamouh,King,TomLL,Kite or Bailey. Push Gallen back to 2nd row with Choc and Gift at lock. T Rex,Bird,TLL ,Kite or Bailey on bench

I agree exactly with this theory Mick & the first 15-20 minutes showed it as a pretty good blueprint to get the Qlders backpeddling.
T Rex will be fitter & needs more time on field , Creagh out!! & TLL to keep the Tamou rage dominating the middle.
The problem with Buhrer apart from lack of time, was the momentum was gone & he was not attacking a retreating Maroon defence. If the same platform was laid as that opening 20 mins, he could cause endless headaches but was almost a wasted spot in the 17 how it played out.
Do agree that the best option though, is quick interchanges with Choc & TLL in for Creagh & Buhrer. Merrin & T-rex deserve to stay.

I think the mix we had was right, like Fluffy said we dominated the metres we were on top. More props does not suit our play plus our side showed they can not only handle it but better it.

Before the sin bin we were on top and i have no doubt another 5 mins T-rex would of come on and caused some damage. We could of really sliced them up before half time instead we lose a player etc. Only times they were on top was due to our mistakes or the referees.

The change that I think needs to be made is lose creagh , does not add anything bring in Choc 100%

Sin bin killed our momentum and so did that tackle bird made on cronk were he put him flat on his BACK. I really do think we win if these calls dont go against us.

NSW kicking game needs major improvements - QLD managed to get good long kicks to open spaces but NSW rarely managed this. So it didn't matter that NSW made more metres running the ball back because their kicks were nowhere near as effective as QLD's kicks. Also they need to take better options with their kicks close to the tryline. Pearce continually kicked to Tate's wing. Tate showed that he was solid under the high ball so NSW should have not continued kicking it to him. Grubbers into the ingoal for repeat sets would have been far better options.

Stuart needs to fix up his interchanges. TRex and Burher were wasted and NSW effectively only played with 15 players. TRex needs more game time. He was great in the short time he was out there.

Gift was heavily marked by Thurston all night and had no space to use his ball skills. NSW need to work out how to use him more effectively. It would have been great if Lyon had been outside him because on a number of occasions Gift was looking for Morris to pass to in a position where Lyon normally is but he wasn't there.

NSW only need to make a couple of changes. Choc should come in for Creagh and Burher should be replaced by a front rower.

We need gifty in lock and not the back row. It's hard to be a ball playing lock when you are playing tight in on the ruck like that.

He was too compressed in there and didn't have enough room or and real help out wide.

Creagh offered nothing so swap him and choc. Get rid of the utility role and put in another forward or back rower.

We lacked punch we has the possession and position but lacked anyone to break their line.
Choc would be good playing tight in here.

Uate and morriss need to work on their communication and uate needs to be told not to leave a man outside him, ever. He came in too many times when the man he went after was covered and left the wing wide open for Boyd. Once when we were a man down I can handle but no excuse every time after

Daniel said:
We need gifty in lock and not the back row. It's hard to be a ball playing lock when you are playing tight in on the ruck like that.

He was too compressed in there and didn't have enough room or and real help out wide.

Creagh offered nothing so swap him and choc. Get rid of the utility role and put in another forward or back rower.

We lacked punch we has the possession and position but lacked anyone to break their line.
Choc would be good playing tight in here.

Uate and morriss need to work on their communication and uate needs to be told not to leave a man outside him, ever. He came in too many times when the man he went after was covered and left the wing wide open for Boyd. Once when we were a man down I can handle but no excuse every time after
Summed up pretty much perfectly Dan.

Stuarts strategies wont work until he completes the puzzle.

1) Support play. At various times we had the upper hand & our smaller mobile pack were prizing open the Qld defense. But where was the support play ? Time & time again I saw one out play when we could have made clean busts if the support play was coached in.
2) As mentioned elsewhere, communication out wide was terrible. This is an example of Stuarts theory on scoring more points than them, gone wrong.
3) Use of bench. FMD is all i can say. Terrible coaching & game plan.

We got smashed in the forwards when Hannant and Shillington came on and Tamou got subbed out. Petro and Scott were ordinary and were outplayed and Hannant and Shillington hammered NSW late in the 1st half. Who did NSW have in response? Creagh (who isn't even a front rower) and Merrin, who was okay but not there to do it on his own. Stuart's response was to bring Tamou back on with 5 to go in the first half.

As mentioned when the teams were picked we need to play Weyman and Gibbs but with Weyman gone for the season, Aaron Woods should be picked with Bryce Gibbs. Both young, fast and mobile front rowers who can bend the line and push up quickly in defence.

With the slower rucks in Origin, Gibbs' line speed would be handy to regain the ascendency that Hannant and Shillington will bring. They also both have a good offload in them.

The starting 13 I wouldn't change much but NSW got smashed from the QLD benchies. Buhrer was a wasted selection, Creagh is useless.

We have the team to beat Qld game 2. I was impressed at lots of stages last night. I'll go on record saying we can then beat them game 3 so grab the $4.00 on a series win.

Creagh out, Choc in. I can't believe a lot of the other criticisms. We must keep Carney and Pearce. Carney will learn a huge amount from that and you can bet his kicking will be better.

Gallen should stay as a prop. Tamou was terrific. I'd add one more big bopper on the bench or genuinely slot T-Rex for both front and back row duties for 40 minutes. Gallen ran 230 mts and not one Queeeeenslander forward got to a ton. Sensational.

Problem decision for me is Gift. Playing in the wrong spot. He showed one play where he got around a tackle with a nice off-load. But still, I liked Bird's effort and wouldn't drop him either.

As for moaning about Jennings getting the bin he was lucky because if it had been any other game he would have been red carded. I loved the effort from all the backs. Sure Morris got caught too close in but if the back-rowers could hang on to Inglis then it wouldn't be an issue. He is just unstoppable and was MOTM to me just because of all the indecisions he caused us. And super effort by Tate too.

Farrar was bloody magnificent. I never thought I would say it but the hookers position is his for years. Really stood up.

Take out some of the ref momentum killers and that game was ours. Very proud of what I saw. We will win in Sydney and the Maroons will be damn nervous for the final battle.

ManlyBacker said:
We have the team to beat Qld game 2. I was impressed at lots of stages last night. I'll go on record saying we can then beat them game 3 so grab the $4.00 on a series win.

Creagh out, Choc in. I can't believe a lot of the other criticisms. We must keep Carney and Pearce. Carney will learn a huge amount from that and you can bet his kicking will be better.

Gallen should stay as a prop. Tamou was terrific. I'd add one more big bopper on the bench or genuinely slot T-Rex for both front and back row duties for 40 minutes. Gallen ran 230 mts and not one Queeeeenslander forward got to a ton. Sensational.

Problem decision for me is Gift. Playing in the wrong spot. He showed one play where he got around a tackle with a nice off-load. But still, I liked Bird's effort and wouldn't drop him either.

As for moaning about Jennings getting the bin he was lucky because if it had been any other game he would have been red carded. I loved the effort from all the backs. Sure Morris got caught too close in but if the back-rowers could hang on to Inglis then it wouldn't be an issue. He is just unstoppable and was MOTM to me just because of all the indecisions he caused us. And super effort by Tate too.

Farrar was bloody magnificent. I never thought I would say it but the hookers position is his for years. Really stood up.

Take out some of the ref momentum killers and that game was ours. Very proud of what I saw. We will win in Sydney and the Maroons will be damn nervous for the final battle.
Good summation MB

I would swap Choc for Creagh, TLL for Bhurer & sorry to say a tackling machine like Shaun Fensom for Gifty.

Utility Player said:
ManlyBacker said:

Good summation MB

I would swap Choc for Creagh, TLL for Bhurer & sorry to say a tackling machine like Shaun Fensom for Gifty.
Your joking UP ...surely.
Gift was not at his best game 1 & some attacking timing & options were off - like his runners with ordinary positioning inside & out.
Besides having way better vision, direction, direction & attacking prowess then Fensom, Gift imo is 1 of the best defenders in the world- often 1 on 1 he cracks them & dominates the tackle.
Players like Fensom, Ballin , Tongue rack up huge numbers because being smaller they have more traffic running at them - not because they tackle better.
The Choc & TLL calls all day UP but you need to get on Gift as MOM in game 2 at 17/1 & collect.

NSW won't win under Stuarat. He's like a school-yard bully who winds the team up to a stress level that they can't maintain. Qld are relaxed, and they play like it. Getting through their sets, sticking to a game plan, even when behind, and only winding up the tempo in the last ten minutes of each half. Stuarat's petulance rubs off on the players. They play like they don't trust one another.

MK Eagle said:
Your joking UP ...surely.
Gift was not at his best game 1 & some attacking timing & options were off - like his runners with ordinary positioning inside & out.
Besides having way better vision, direction, direction & attacking prowess then Fensom, Gift imo is 1 of the best defenders in the world- often 1 on 1 he cracks them & dominates the tackle.
Players like Fensom, Ballin , Tongue rack up huge numbers because being smaller they have more traffic running at them - not because they tackle better.
The Choc & TLL calls all day UP but you need to get on Gift as MOM in game 2 at 17/1 & collect.
MK I am a great admirer of Gifty but I thought that Bird was a bit better in attack than him in Origin 1 and that we only need one ball playing back rower. You need to keep Lewis for his utility value so Gifty was odd man out.

I just think we need a Hindmarsh, Fitzgibbon, Harrison style backrower in the team somewhere.

Of course the addition of another prop would allow Gallen to assume that role and when he moved to prop you could bring on someone like Gift.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4