I'll play smarter, not harder: Kieran Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
I'll play smarter, not harder: Kieran Foran

POUND for pound, he is one of the toughest players in the NRL - but after an awful run of injuries last year Kieran Foran says it's time to start treating his body with a bit more respect.

After spending the summer working with Manly's new skills coach Andrew Johns, the rugged Kiwi is ready to unveil his new look in this Saturday's NRL All Stars clash in Brisbane.

Foran was a late call-up to Wayne Bennett's All Stars team after the withdrawal of Sea Eagles teammate Anthony Watmough.

Foran admits he has talked to Johns about his take-no-prisoners approach and concedes it's time to make changes.

"I do need to change," Foran said. "I can't keep playing that physical style because I will just continue to get the injuries that I have had over the years.

"I speak (to Johns) about picking my times when to get involved and be physical and when not to. I always loved rugby league because of the physical nature of the game and it is hard for me to say to myself, 'don't run to the line here' or 'don't go and put a big shot on' because that is why I play the game and that is why I love rugby league.

"I will just hopefully get smarter this year with my game."

CLICK HERE TO START PICKING YOUR SUPERCOACH SQUAD NOW

Foran had a shocking run of injuries last year, so he was never fully fit.

"I wasn't too happy with the season I had," he said.

"I know I had a few injuries that hampered my game time and momentum but on a personal note I was a bit disappointed with the way I performed and the way I finished the year.

"I just don't think I really played to the best of my ability and I don't think I did a lot of good for the team.

"I like to set the bar high and I didn't think I achieved the goals that I wanted to achieve last year.

"When you have injuries like I had with the hammy and ankles you are always behind the eight ball a bit because you are never really fit. But that is no excuse. I wasn't happy with the way I performed."

The re-signing of Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans was seen as the key to Manly's future and Foran said it is now their job to step up this year.

"I suppose that was the disappointing thing last year," he said. "We felt that we could have been more at the top of our game each week, which probably would have helped things.

"We will be looking to improve on that."

Yes, I thought Keiran was a little below par last year, but suspected it was as much to do with injury as anything. He does play "above his weight", so if he can learn that discretion is sometmes the better part of valour he will be better off.

I think the presence of T-Rex on the LHS stifled our attack somewhat last year, as he was the default option on just about every play, ready or not he got the ball. The infamous "just effin run it" was a good example of the frustration that caused. While I'm not convinced on Forans natural ball playing ability just yet, he does show a willingness to take it deep to the line and commit defences, which is half the battle won. If he can work off that and improve his passing game then he will be a great asset. He does need some hole runners to help in that quest though, and a fit Snake causing doubt in the defence is another key (no matter how overused the second man play is, it's about freezing the defence for that second and working that to your advantage). I'm looking forward to that side of the field working some magic this year, get on Horhay for leading try scorer.

Here's hoping he has an injury free season and really benefits from John's undoubted knowledge.

Foz and Matai had to tackle for T-Rex in the past.

So they should both be less tired and utilise their creativity with the ball :angel:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4