Im a little concerned with no Premier League or Jim Beam Cup sides

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
Im a little concerned with no Premier League or Jim Beam Cup sides playing locally.
I know we will be sending players up to the Qld comp but thats only 6 or 7 players. We have been really lucky with injuries over the last few years. Des doesnt seem happy to use U20's when we are down players but what if we do have injury crisis - do we have enough players to cover most spots.
Look at the SOO possiblities - B Stewart - Robbo - Wolfman - Lyon - Ox - G Stewart - Kite - Perry. And outsiders of Ballin - Hall. 

We do not have a Team Playing locally week in - week out. Maybe scattered in the Manly comp but Saints had no team in the Premier League (only Jim Beam Cup) last year and you saw what happened when they had inuries 

Just a little concern - i trust Des and the staff know what they doing so i trust them. Plus it good to know that Ballamy is coaching NSW this year.

I'm also concerned.  My view is that it was short sighted to get rid of second grade.  Under 20s isn't the answer imo.  To much like touch to really grab your interest.  I liked to see big name players coming back from injury or a drop in form, not kids who might get into the big time in a few years.  You forgot to put Choco in that SOO mix, he's a certainty to be picked.   

I'll have to mention Max in all my posts in future Canteen.  Do you ever give anyone ten out of ten?

It comes down to economics I'm afraid. A dozen or so less contracted players and less off field paid coaches etc.

Don't forget  if Manly get riddled with injuries they will have access to the local Sunshine Coast Qld Cup players.

The average Q CUP Players are as good as NSW Premier Grade players.

Also I heard a rumour that Manly are considering playing one of the higher profiled NYC players in the Qld Cup, because they think it will better prepare  him for NRL. This is something that St George couldn't do.

Here is just a few players i have notice turning up at other clubs  so far

Chris Trembath – Norths
Sean Meaney – Balmain
Andrew Everingham & Ray Nasso – Magpies
Jack Afamasaga - Sharks

We do need a reserve game

Fair point Rambo but my tip is that the club was prepared to let each of the above players go as they don't think that any of them are going to be long term first grade prospects.

My guess is we've got the reserve/back up players covered.  The point that the Qld Cup is stronger than the NSW thing is correct.  I watch those mid week on the TV and it's definitely true.  My point was that playing the NSW cup through the week attracts about 10 people wheras if it was on before first grade it would be better for all.  But that would be expecting the NRL to have some brains, which it clearly hasn't. 

It is all about money - top squads now are 25 players. It is too expensive to have a squad of nearly 40 players at least, to play two grades, when half of the PL squad will never play in the top grade.

It is cheaper to fly those fit players (who are not in 17 or NYC) to QLD with Dennis Moore as coach of the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles.

What happens when clubs have a huge injury toll is the big issue - where do the players come from then? Straight from the NYC or Sunshine Coast?

There are negatives - as a fringe first grader, I am not sure I would like to fly each week to Noosa and then come back to Narrabeen to train with the top squad. The other thing is that some players do bloom in their twenties and they could get missed in the void between the NYC and First Grade. Do we have a Sydney based feeder arrangement as well?

Personally I miss the idea of having two preliminary games to watch prior to first grade but also that now teams warm up on the actual paddock and so there wasn't a game that finished just prior to kick off of First Grade.

Canteen Worker link said:
Fair point Rambo but my tip is that the club was prepared to let each of the above players go as they don't think that any of them are going to be long term first grade prospects.

Chris Trembath was in our top 25 players for the last 2 years

Sean Meaney has alot of ability and would be a great backup if we were down wolfman & snake

Andrew Everingham good winger but had way too many players in front of him

Ray Nasso didnt see him play much

Jack Afamasaga played in a grand final loss to Melbourne

Rambo1987 link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179415.msg210310#msg210310 date=1236639967]

Chris Trembath was in our top 25 players for the last 2 years

Sean Meaney has alot of ability and would be a great backup if we were down wolfman & snake

Andrew Everingham good winger but had way too many players in front of him

Ray Nasso didnt see him play much

Jack Afamasaga played in a grand final loss to Melbourne

[/quote]

I also forgot Jason Wells

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9