I'm Jealous

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagleE

Reserve Grader
Say what you want to say about the Dogs fans, but they are really getting into this Grand Final. They had 2000 people show up to a training session. They have sold out the Grand Final. The place is covered in blue and white. They are supporting the club/team. Their store has a 1-2 hr wait to get in to purchase grand final merchandise.
I wish our team generated that much passion from our supporters. I know I will get shot down here. Our leagues club was deserted before the Grand Final last year. I went for dinner and you could barely tell a major game was 2 days away. Our semis were not attended greatly by fans. Our regular season games aren't as well attended.

Jealous of what and who??? We are proud Manly supporters and we are not jealous of any one but every one does not like us becuase they are jealous of us.

eagleE said:
Say what you want to say about the Dogs fans, but they are really getting into this Grand Final. They had 2000 people show up to a training session. They have sold out the Grand Final. The place is covered in blue and white. They are supporting the club/team. Their store has a 1-2 hr wait to get in to purchase grand final merchandise.
I wish our team generated that much passion from our supporters. I know I will get shot down here. Our leagues club was deserted before the Grand Final last year. I went for dinner and you could barely tell a major game was 2 days away. Our semis were not attended greatly by fans. Our regular season games aren't as well attended.

Mate, you're trying to compare chalk and cheese, the demographics of the two clubs are poles apart, the dogs will always have a much larger fan base than us, that's the nature of their supporters, their hometown support is always increasing, because in their area that's all they do,football has become their second religion.
Manly's area is diminishing as the old residents are moving out and being replaced by supporters of other clubs, and there's a lot more distraction on the Northern beaches.
Also, we have been riding on a crest of success over the past five years so a lot of our fans just take it for granted now.
When the dogs were wooden spooners a couple of years ago, they were struggling to get 10-12,000 to a game.

I bet there'd be eight of them who would love my Grand Final tickets (that wont be getting used). Close to half way and nearish the front. Pity Manly didn't make it. Keep an eye out for a group of eight empty seats on tv.

Peter C' right, it's the demographics. League is a working class game, and as such, is doing alright in those working class areas. And let's be frank, the Dogs attract a certain multicultural group, namely those of Middle Eastern extraction, who are attracted to that team, probably starting in Hazem El Masri's day. 2000 people at a training day, even taking into account school holidays, is impressive. However one must wonder about the situation of the adults attending. On the Northern beaches, and dare I say it the Eastern suburbs, most people (fans) are working, so don't take the day off to watch a team train. The front page picture of a Dogs fan through the week buying 20 tickets said it all really.

eagleE said:
but they are really getting into this Grand Final.

Yes they are

eagleE said:
They had 2000 people show up to a training session.

Wow - already discussed but what is the ratio of kids v adults. employed v self employed. Honest workers v future underbelly stories

eagleE said:
The place is covered in blue and white. They are supporting the club/team.

2008 - a sea of Maroon and White from my memory.

eagleE said:
Their store has a 1-2 hr wait to get in to purchase grand final merchandise.

I work in process improvement - I could definitely improve that

eagleE said:
Our leagues club was deserted before the Grand Final last year. I went for dinner and you could barely tell a major game was 2 days away.

Seriously who eats at a Leagues Club! We have so much more to choose from on the beaches

eagleE said:
Our semis were not attended greatly by fans. Our regular season games aren't as well attended.

Demographics mate - our supporter base may be smaller but no less passionate. It's not the size of your supporter base its the way you use it!

The arguments against what EagleE has written don't wash with me. I don't care if they are employed or not, wear headscarves/grow beards or not or have tattoos of the Blessed Virgin or not. It doesn't matter and the fact that they have a huge number of passionate fans backing their club is a good thing for them. Live with it.

bones said:
I bet there'd be eight of them who would love my Grand Final tickets (that wont be getting used). Close to half way and nearish the front. Pity Manly didn't make it. Keep an eye out for a group of eight empty seats on tv.

You would rather burn the cash than on sell them?

Mals said:
bones said:

You would rather burn the cash than on sell them?

I think bones must be Tinkler's half brother. More money than anyone else on here. :)

ManlyBacker said:
The arguments against what EagleE has written don't wash with me. I don't care if they are employed or not, wear headscarves/grow beards or not or have tattoos of the Blessed Virgin or not. It doesn't matter and the fact that they have a huge number of passionate fans backing their club is a good thing for them. Live with it.

Yes a large supporter base is a great thing. But answer ths - Why do they have a huge number of passionate supporters backing their club? Without exploring things such as demographics you cant answer it.

voicefromthehill said:
ManlyBacker said:

Yes a large supporter base is a great thing. But answer ths - Why do they have a huge number of passionate supporters backing their club? Without exploring things such as demographics you cant answer it.

I'll leave the science to you. I don't care why or how they are getting the numbers. When MWSE put me on the payroll I'll give it a shot ;)

ManlyBacker said:
voicefromthehill said:
ManlyBacker said:

I'll leave the science to you. I don't care why or how they are getting the numbers. When MWSE put me on the payroll I'll give it a shot ;)

Social science...our resident passionate physicists would hate to hear the word science used in relation to demographics ;)

eagleE said:

In comparison (as shown on this site alone), there is a large demographic of Manly supporters who don't live in Sydney, or in the Manly / Northern Beaches. Compared to Bulldogs we have a HUGE number of supporters around the Sydney and surrounding areas.

I was around Brookie Grand Final time last year and noted there wasn't much sign of their "team" being in the Grand Final.

I think the problem is the area is very Union / AFL focussed (believe it or not).

Around Bankstown and surrounds it's Soccer and Rugby League.

voicefromthehill said:
eagleE said:
but they are really getting into this Grand Final.

Yes they are

eagleE said:
They had 2000 people show up to a training session.

Wow - already discussed but what is the ratio of kids v adults. employed v self employed. Honest workers v future underbelly stories

eagleE said:
The place is covered in blue and white. They are supporting the club/team.

2008 - a sea of Maroon and White from my memory.

eagleE said:
Their store has a 1-2 hr wait to get in to purchase grand final merchandise.

I work in process improvement - I could definitely improve that

eagleE said:
Our leagues club was deserted before the Grand Final last year. I went for dinner and you could barely tell a major game was 2 days away.

Seriously who eats at a Leagues Club! We have so much more to choose from on the beaches

eagleE said:
Our semis were not attended greatly by fans. Our regular season games aren't as well attended.

Demographics mate - our supporter base may be smaller but no less passionate. It's not the size of your supporter base its the way you use it!

It's some of the excuses that have been put on here that keep Manly in a vulnerable position each season. Demographics/employment/restaurants on beaches blah blah blah. Fact is dogs are in a position of stability. Their Leagues club can majorly support the football club when needed. The football club do well from sponsorship, membership and game day. We are flat out attracting 14 000 fans to a home game and
17 000 to a semi. This in a year we weren't doing too bad and a year we were premiers. I have serious concerns for the next few years. With a board that has personal issues in mind rather than the club, a ground which is diabolical and a team which is going to struggle with an ageing roster(sure there are young recruits and juniors coming through but they need a few years) how will we fare in the near future. We just need to do more for the clubs.

eagleE said:

who cares, whoopee do

eagleE said:
We are flat out attracting 14 000 fans to a home game and
17 000 to a semi. This in a year we weren't doing too bad and a year we were premiers. I have serious concerns for the next few years. With a board that has personal issues in mind rather than the club, a ground which is diabolical and a team which is going to struggle with an ageing roster(sure there are young recruits and juniors coming through but they need a few years) how will we fare in the near future. We just need to do more for the clubs.

Can we move on from the 17,000 against an out of town team. This is not Melbourne, the SFS is not readily accessible on a Friday night.

So with your concerns I assume you are a member of the club, team etc? All you can do is your bit - coming on here and preaching to the converted is futile

Mate - I too would love bigger crowds etc, but we are up against the reasons (or in your eyes excuses) listed.

What is your solution?

Manly fans probably have an average of around 2 kids, by contrast, Bulldog fans have an average of 8 kids each + 345 cousins that can be reached by cell phone.
Note the difference?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4