Immort-eagles / Sea-mortals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
I think the Sea Eagles should name their own club 'immortals'. If it was an exclusive list, and not something which is given lightly, which players do you think should be included? Doesn't necessarily have to be a player.

The obvious 3 IMO would be:
Bozo
Beaver
Wombat

Other possibles:

Randall
Krilich
Tooves
Lyons
Arko
Max Whitehead
Rex Mossop
Max Delmege

And possibles once they retire:

Snake
Lyon
Choc
Matai

Jamie Lyon would have to go close, gee he's been a huge part of our resurgence since he came on board.

Really didn't they do this a few years ago with the "Team of the Century"??

Roy Bull would have to be one of the first along with those 1st 3 Bones mentioned and Arko too I'd say.

Have to be careful about selection process as mentioned Manly seems to stuff these Team of the century selections up. That a certain Cliffy Lyons didn't get the number 6 jersey is amazing. Don't get me started on Wally O'Connell and his meaning to the early days of club and early coaching stint. Cliffy deserved it hands down!!

And as BK ( as great as he was) made the bench after 2 years says issues about process

Manly's Greates Team was announced in 2006

MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES GREATEST TEAM:
1. Graham Eadie 1971-83 (237 games)
2. Ken Irvine 1971-73 (60 games)
3. Bob Fulton 1966-76 (213 games)
4. Michael O'Connor 1987-82 (115 games)
5. Ray Branighan 1972-78 (114 games)
6. Wally O'Connell 1951-52 (34 games)
7. Geoff Toovey 1988-2001 (286 games)
8. Roy Bull 1947-59 (177 games)
9. Max Krilich 1970-83 (215 games)
10. John O'Neill 1972-74 (51 games)
11. Steven Menzies 1993-2006 (302 games)
12. Terry Randall 1970-82 (208 games)
13. Malcolm Reilly 1971-75 (89 games)

Bench:
14. Des Hasler 1984-96 (255 games)
15. Ben Kennedy 2005-06 (37 games)
16. Cliff Lyons 1986-99 (309 games)
17. Paul Vautin 1979-89 (204 games)

Coach:
Frank Staton

Team Manager:
Ken Arthurson

HappilyManly said:
Manly's Greates Team was announced in 2006

Thanks scoop... I didn't know that :s
I'll explain the difference. A team has one fullback, two wingers, two centres etc etc.
The immortals could all be fullbacks.
Even delicate ones.

HappilyManly said:
You're Welcome :D

Immortals could only come from the Greatest Team Pool, surely :cool:

Why can't two fullbacks from different eras both be immortals?
Langlands and Churchill are both fullbacks and immortals.

HappilyManly said:
You're Welcome :D

Immortals could only come from the Greatest Team Pool, surely :cool:

Most likely but doesn't have to be the case.

1 Arko
2 Fulton
3 Eadie
4 Menzies
5 Randall
6 Krilich

Having seen all but Roy Bull and Wally O'Connell of the 'Greatest Team' play I am now firmly convinced that Jamie Lyon should now be ahead of Irvine, Branighan and O'Connor.
Irvine played his best football for Norths, Branighan for Souths.
O'Connor was a terrific player, but imo Jamie has been more influential in Manly's success. Therefore, I'd put Jamie in at centre, switch O'Connor to the wing where he did play a fair bit, and omit Branighan from the squad.

The players who have played 200 games for Manly is the initial special list so if I have captured them all are:

Bob Batty
Max Krillich
Graham Eadie
Bob Fulton
Cliffy Lyons
Des Hasler
Steve Menzies
Owen Cunningham
Paul Vautin
Terry Randall
Alan Thompson
Geoff Toovey
Fred Jones
Anthony Watmough
Jason King

But if had an important time list you would want 5 to 8 as the sort of maximum.

Feel the A list is:

Fulton
Menzies
Lyons

But agree someone like Eadie & or even Roy Bull could be on the next list.

Then the Randall & Krillich’s would be next in line.

We have been blessed by great Players in basically every year since 1947.

However, the 'Immortal' tag is for Players who changed the way that RL is played. The ones who automatically get selected by all Panels either locally or Internationally.

Bozo, Eadie, Beaver and Killer are such Players.

Snake IMO is not, inspite of being a freak, he does not innovate the fullback spot.

I think of him more like Cliffy - instinctive in their respective positions, but neither changes the way these positions are played - they just execute their tasks impeccably and consistently :angel:

Its all subjective in the end, so I just enjoy the input into Manly, that these amazing athletes have/had :)

Not sure Cliffy would make my top 20 Manly players, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an absolute champion. He was.

My first 2 inductees:Fulton and Eadie.
Arko can get a gig too if it's not just about playing.

Next rung has Lyon and Brett Stewart, Menzies and Randall. Unfortunate bias towards backs, but that seems to occur in this kind of award.

I'be been watching MWSE teams closely since 1967. Fair dinkum, there are about 35 + backs I rate above R Branighan for Manly. I'm sure Ray is a great guy.
But please, lets give credit where credit is due, and call a spade a 'spade'.

He played along side Bozo. Draw your own conclusions.

bob dylan said:
Not sure Cliffy would make my top 20 Manly players, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an absolute champion. He was.

awww c'mon BD, surely you jest. The great Cliff has to be in any Manly fans top 20.

Eagles Nest 08 said:
The players who have played 200 games for Manly is the initial special list so if I have captured them all are:

You forgot Kitey. Kingdog isn't quite to 200 yet. Also a bit of contention whether Batty played 200.

Anyway Manly Immortals in my opinion are

Bozo - can't be a RL Immortal and not a Manly immortal.
Beaver - This guy is Manly !! Class on and off the field

Then you have Arko, Wombat, Cliffy, who can mount pretty good cases.

If Tooves coaches us to a premeirship then he is up there. I love Igor, one of my all time favourites (played in all of Manly's 70's premierships) so he wouldn't look out of place, but probably doesn't have the representative honours to quite make it..

Current crop - Killer most likely. Snake would have been a shoe in if he had stayed fit. He'd be over 200 games already and close to 180 tries. Not so sure now if his career peters out with injury. Choc is a very solid clubman but not quite classy enough to take the top pedestal.

I hope DCE becomes one in the future

Clint said:
bob dylan said:

awww c'mon BD, surely you jest. The great Cliff has to be in any Manly fans top 20.

Yeah seriously, who is in your top 20?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8