Inglis looking at 5 weeks. 8 players charged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

WAMF

Bencher
South Sydney fullback Greg Inglis is facing a five-match suspension while seven other players were charged by the NRL match review committee on Monday after a dramatic Round 20 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Inglis, Penrith’s Travis Burns, Brisbane’s Ben Te’o and Josh Hoffman, St George Illawarra’s Dan Hunt, Josh Miller and Trent Merrin and Canberra’s Josh Papalii are all facing charges from the weekend’s games.

Inglis was charged with a grade four dangerous contact – shoulder, for his tackle on Dragons forward Dean Young in the 33rd minute of the Rabbitohs’ 36-14 victory at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The charge means Inglis could miss up to five matches, which is a massive blow to South Sydney’s aspirations to finish in the top four.

The Queensland and Australia representative will miss four games with an early plea, but could miss up to five matches if he fights the charge at the NRL judiciary and loses.

South Sydney may also elect to dispute the grading which could result in a reduced suspension if successful at the NRL judiciary.

If Inglis is suspended for an extended period, Nathan Merritt would be the obvious choice to fill the void at fullback for South Sydney, after the try-scoring machine bagged another hat-trick at the weekend. Merritt showed his potential at fullback last season scoring 10 tries in just three games, including an incredible five tries in one match.

Penrith Panthers five-eighth Travis Burns is set to miss the rest of the season after he was charged for two separate incidents in his side’s 28-16 victory over the Roosters at Centrebet Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Burns was charged with a grade two dangerous contact – unnessary arm/shoulder pressure for his chicken-wing style tackle on Roosters forward Mose Masoe and was also slapped with a grade three high tackle – intentional, for his tackle on Roosters forward Martin Kennedy.

Burns was sent-off for his shot on Kennedy, becoming only the second player this season to be given his marching orders after Dragons forward Matt Prior was sent from the field in Round 9.

Burns is facing up to 12 weeks for the high shot on Kennedy and four weeks for the tackle on Masoe.

If the Panthers take the early plea to both charges, the five-eighth would be ruled out for a total of 12 matches.

Brisbane’s Ben Te’o is facing a week suspension after he was charged with a grade two careless high-tackle on Titans forward Luke Bailey.

Teammate Josh Hoffman is facing a two-week suspension for a tackle on Bailey after he was slapped with a grade two dangerous contact charge. The Broncos fullback would however only miss one match with an early plea.

Dragons trio Hunt, Merrin and Miller have all been charged with grade one careless high tackles, but will be free to play at the weekend.

Canberra’s Josh Papalii was charged with a grade one dangerous contact with a kicker, but will be free to play if he takes the early guilty plea.

Burns faces 16 weeks. lol

Greg Inglis facing 4-5 matches;
Travis Burns 12-16 matches;
Josh Hoffman 1-2,
Ben Te'o 1;
Trent Merrin, Dan Hunt, Josh Miller and Josh Papalii will get off with early pleas.

I can't believe Cameron Smith wasn't charged.
There was the intentional knees in the back and the leg pulling/manipulating incident (for which he was warned).
Absolute BS.

Rabbitohs Statement Regarding Inflammatory Comments Made Following Saturday's Game

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are shocked by the grade four dangerous contact charge handed down to player Greg Inglis by the NRL Match Review Committee, and have spoken out about the statements made by the opposition Coach in the post-match press conference and the prejudicial nature of those statements.
The Rabbitohs and Inglis have until Tuesday afternoon to submit their plea following the charge, but Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire believes that inflammatory comments by Steve Price to the media have played a role in the unusually high grading of the charge.
“Steve Price’s comments have exacerbated this situation resulting in a high grading for this incident,” Coach Maguire said.
“He came out and compared this tackle to one where his player was charged earlier in the year, where he raised his elbow and struck an opposition player square in the face.
“To compare these two incidents is ridiculous to say the least, and to do so can only be designed to be inflammatory and to try and prejudice the case before it reaches the match review committee.
“We operated within the rules of the NRL. The Dragons didn’t.
“It is against the NRL Rules to comment on any matter that is subject to review by the Match Review Committee or the Judiciary, and Steve Price’s comments have incited a media frenzy around this incident.
“His comments have exacerbated this situation, and if this isn’t a clear case of trying to prejudice a case against a player then I don’t know what is.
“We want to know what the ARLC is going to do about his comments, which were made two days ago, which are clearly against the rules, as it is harmful to the game and reputation of our player and our Club. It’s bad for the game, yet despite several conversations with the ARLC by myself and the CEO since Saturday’s game, nothing has been done about it.
“It’s not good enough.”
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson agrees with his Head Coach’s comments saying a clear line needs to be drawn.
“It clearly states in the NRL Code of Conduct, section 30, sub-sections (1) and (2) under the heading of ‘Public Comment’, that no one shall comment on any subject of a proceeding before the Match Review Committee,” Mr Richardson said.
“The tackle was put on report, and was therefore going to be reviewed by the Match Review Committee.
“We did the right thing and made no adverse comments on the situation, but Steve Price did, and he’s broken the rules.
“The ARLC should be doing something about this, and as yet nothing has been done. It needs to be acted upon, and it needed to happen yesterday.”

LOL at highlighted bit

inglis should feel lucky he doesn't play for Manly, the grading would have been even higher

• 👍
Reactions: PJ
WAMF said:
There was the intentional knees in the back and the leg pulling/manipulating incident (for which he was warned).
Absolute BS.

He's a protected species. Untouchable. Look what it took to get him banned for that GF.

What a surprise, no charge for Smith the grub. Blair got suspended last week for the same thing, and Smiths was much worse IMO. I just can't believe the preferential treatment Smith gets. It's a f****** joke!!!

What is the bets souths challenge the grading and have it reduced so he only misses 2 or 3 games.

Just enough to allow him to get over his niggling injuries in time for the semis plus drive around the harbour in his new boat - oops sorry I mean Rusty's boat of course as it is still in Crowe's name.

Burns 12 - 16 matches ?? is that right ? He must have some good loading

Chip and Chase said:
Burns 12 - 16 matches ?? is that right ? He must have some good loading

Two separate incidents. High tackle and a chicken wing tackle in the same game. Both were bad.

Souths are fighting the charge,so GI may yet get off.

Dont understand why Travis has such a huge loading.

The finals are looking like a very ooen series:D

WAMF said:
Absolute BS.
Cammy Smith is invincible. NRL/News Ltd need Cam playing to keep RL interest in victoria

HappilyManly said:
Souths are fighting the charge,so GI may yet get off.

The finals are looking like a very ooen series:D

Have souths said they are fighting it. havnt seen that yet.

I assume they will and in true judiciary inconsistent style, he will get it downgraded to 2 weeks or he'll get off.

Nearly fell off my chair when I read 12-16 weeks for Burns !!

That would make it the worst tackle seen in the NRL for a long, long time. I know it is 2 incidents but 12 for the tackle ?!?! wow

Williams got 18 for his king hit from memory, and what was Hoppa ? Around 16 I think, I don't put the Burns tackle anywhere near those

I don't know why teams don't go out of their way to rough Inglis up and niggle him. He always reacts like he thinks he'd be above that sort of attention.

Give him a good facial in the first tackle and watch him come up swinging.

I saw Burns high tackle, it wasn't great but 12 weeks is over the top. Maybe he got hammered by the MRC due to the fact it occurred when tensions were really high after something already happened, he just escalated it and lost control? I'm sure I've seen comparable hits without a send-off.

HappilyManly said:

Maybe they have forgotten that he no longer plays for Manly

COMMANDER said:
I don't know why teams don't go out of their way to rough Inglis up and niggle him. He always reacts like he thinks he'd be above that sort of attention.

Give him a good facial in the first tackle and watch him come up swinging.

We need more Travis Burns tackles on Inglis.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4