Interesting:Bigpond sports NRL team of the week

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
FROM THE BIGPOND SPORT WEBSITE:

After impressive performances from two of the NRL's frontrunners, it's no surprise that Manly and St George Illawarra stars dominate this week's best 13.

1. Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles) - showed glimpses of his best with a superb try-saving tackle and a brilliant pick-up-and-pass to send Daly Cherry-Evans over as Manly completed a big win over the Broncos.

2. Brett Morris (Dragons) - ducked and weaved past a handful of would-be tacklers to set up the opening try for the Dragons, then finished off a 90-metre move to score himself before injury kept him on the sideline for Wests' second-half fightback.

3. Mark Gasnier (Dragons) - made a clear line break to set up one try and showed superb skills to score another, somehow finding space between four defenders to get across in the corner.

4. Matt Cooper (Dragons) - scored the opener after great work from Morris and then returned the favour to send his winger across for a long-range effort.

5. Will Hopoate (Sea Eagles) - the big teenager's running game was at its brutal best, with his 19 carries including four tackle breaks, two line breaks, 172 running metres and a couple of tries.

6. Kieran Foran (Sea Eagles) - continues to show terrific composure in the halves, setting up Manly's first two four-pointers and rolling in the grubber that led to a third.

7. Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles) - kick-started Manly's second-half comeback against Brisbane, putting up a great bomb for Jamie Lyon's try, then beating three defenders to score himself before taking Stewart's miracle assist to score another.

8. Trent Merrin (Dragons) - the NSW prop made the most of his usual cameo off the bench, barging over for a try and making three tackle breaks, a line break and 28 tackles.

9. Cameron Smith (Storm) - kicked a 40/20, made a line break, kicked three goals (including a sideline conversion) and made 53 tackles in an 80-minute effort - days after a man of the match performance for Queensland in Origin I.

10. James Tamou (Cowboys) - helped the Cowboys dominate up front against the error-riddled Roosters, making 142 metres from his 15 hit-ups, with a massive 11 tackle breaks plus a try.

11. Frank Pritchard (Bulldogs) - unstoppable early on against the Titans, crashing through three defenders to open the scoring - before beating two more to score the Bulldogs' second try.

12. Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles) - a strong performance in his 200th NRL match, leading the Sea Eagles pack with 17 hit-ups for 157 metres, plus five offloads, six tackle busts and 33 tackles.

13. Luke Lewis (Panthers) - cruised over for the opening try against Souths and created the break that led to Penrith's match-winner. Also added 10 tackle breaks, two offloads and 32 tackles in a performance that could earn a call-up from the NSW selectors.

ALOT OF MANLY PLAYERS!

Rare that more than one Manly player is in any team team that Des hasn't chosen - Fantasy, SOO, Aust.

So having five selected on weekly form is a huge rap for the Sea Eagles.

Well done, boys!

Foran and Cherry-Evans are quickly becoming the most dangerous halves pairing in the game. With both being so young and both on contract for a few more years they could develop one of the all time great combinations. In a way they remind me of the Lyons/Toovey combination, Foran can read the play like Lyons did and he keeps the opposition guessing, DCE is a tough halfback and has obviously been influenced greatly by Toovey. At the time, Manly's great strength was a strong back row in Kosef, Menzies and Gartner with Hopoate on the wing. Perhaps we are looking at a team that resembles one of our best ever from the mid 90s?

Congrats to all especially to DCE. I think this is the first accolade like this he has had/

firechild said:
Foran and Cherry-Evans are quickly becoming the most dangerous halves pairing in the game. With both being so young and both on contract for a few more years they could develop one of the all time great combinations. In a way they remind me of the Lyons/Toovey combination, Foran can read the play like Lyons did and he keeps the opposition guessing, DCE is a tough halfback and has obviously been influenced greatly by Toovey. At the time, Manly's great strength was a strong back row in Kosef, Menzies and Gartner with Hopoate on the wing. Perhaps we are looking at a team that resembles one of our best ever from the mid 90s?

Love the post mate,made me laugh for some reason,i share your passion :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7