Interesting message from the Leagues Club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
As a Leagues Club member I received this email from them today...makes for interesting reading...

MANLY LEAGUES ~ HOME OF THE SEA EAGLES
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message from the League Club Chairman

Dear "Vidmar"

I wanted to let you know about the very important contribution the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club has made to the Sea Eagles football team over the past few years and the positive direction the League Club is headed.

We are a proud club whose loyalty to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles has always been central to the Club’s history and success, but one that has often presented challenges along the way.

Did you know that over the past 16 years, the League Club proudly gave direct financial support to the Sea Eagles of almost $30 million and another $1.8 million to the Junior League? This was despite profits of approximately $25 million.

The introduction of the full smoking ban in 2007 meant the Club endured 13 consecutive months of trading losses. Despite this tough environment, the Club still supported and made payments to the Sea Eagles of $625,000. Since August 2008 the Club has recorded 10 consecutive profitable trading months and is on track to achieve a $700,000 trading profit for the 2009 financial year.

Since the Sea Eagles were privatised in 2004 – including the planned payments for 2009 – the League Club has donated approximately $4.5 million to the Sea Eagles and $560,000 to the Junior League. This is a credit to the Board, which made significant changes that were previously seen as too hard.

In addition to the substantial financial support, the League Club also provides the Sea Eagles and Junior League with support by helping recruit sponsors, offering complimentary room and office use, helping with player employment as well as acting as an agent for merchandise and ticket sales.

As a proud League Club, we have reached some high points with positive community initiatives and some low points, which have contributed to the Club facing financial difficulty from time to time.

Now moving forward to a brighter future in 2009, the League Club is in a position to embark on a significant refurbishment of its premises and within the next 12 months will reward you and other loyal patrons with a greatly improved clubhouse and environment.

During the Sea Eagles financial struggles over the years even though we hold no ownership in the team, we supported the team we all love by committing $1 million a season for six years to the Sea Eagles and the Junior League.

The League Club's often stretched financial position has not deterred us from our great loyalty to and support for the Sea Eagles. We will continue to support the Sea Eagles through thick and thin but at a sensible level, one that will not threaten the Club’s future.

Even though the League Club is now a tenant at 563 Pittwater Road, the Board of the League Club continues to be responsible for the management of the business and representing the members' best interest.

Yours sincerely,

Bob Reilly, Chairman,
Manly - Warringah Rugby League Club

So what is the point of the letter other than to raise the question as to why they would pay out $31.8m while only making $25m in profit?  Heart attack material for their bankers.

One of many questonable decisions made over the years by the club.  They can thank Penn for bailing them out.

Interesting to note the timing of the e-mail as well.  Co-inciding with Max's press articles.  Sounds like good news stories being released to take attention away from the Mayer news.

Exactly, the only reason he can state

"Now moving forward to a brighter future in 2009, the League Club is in a position to embark on a significant refurbishment of its premises and within the next 12 months will reward you and other loyal patrons with a greatly improved clubhouse and environment.

is thanks to the largesse of Penn.  Reilly has bitten the hand that fed him and it won't be forgotten.

How much Leagues and Football Club money is he squandering blowing his own trumpet, and who is he accountable to?

"Even though the League Club is now a tenant at 563 Pittwater Road, the Board of the League Club continues to be responsible for the management of the business and representing the members' best interest."

Thats sounds rather bitter.

This letter is aimed at trying to put a positive spin on the role of the football club in the downfall of Grant Mayer. There needs to be a lot more PR or 'spin' to try and solve that one in my view.

Its funny how the large leagues club strugles and yet the small brookvale pub up the rode thrives. Couldn't they have just bought them out and moved there?

You have to thank the Leagues club for saving us, along with Max during our tough times, they donated more money than they had to Manly and made themselves get into large debt just for our survival. An easier option out would have just not bothered and turn itself into a modern rsl/pub.

Having said that im sure there is politics in that email, theres politics in everything.

the only time i'm going to interested at listening to any thing football club or leagues club say is at the next meeting

Jeez, there’s no pleasing some people eh?

Looking at the some of the posters above who are critical of the club and its efforts you wonder how often they actually get to the place....?

I go to the club every home game and it is a safe place for me to take my children and meet friends, the staff are friendly, courteous and professional.

Food and drink prices are reasonable (and as a member I get discount – even better!)
I see the criticism of the in-fighting, public slanging matches, people politics and “factions” so how do we fix this? “Let’s start another faction and be critical of senior management and slag them off in public”...go figure.....?

I know we shouldn’t let the truth get in the way of a good story but some key things I picked up from the letter....a significant amount of money was donated by the Leagues club to my team – Good stuff.

In fact, over 16 years $30 million – great stuff!

Despite the difficult times faced by many clubs the Leagues Club is now managing to make a profit – Good stuff.

The mention of largesse of the Penn family...Hmmmm, they bought the building so have added to their asset base and the Leagues Club reduce debt – win/win? – Good stuff

In the Leagues Club we effectively have a confirmed sponsor tipping in a $million each year – Good stuff.

Don’t quite get the criticism of Bob Reilly who has only recently taken over there and seems to be getting it back on track...if this means the place continues to improve and can honour the commitment to continue to provide money to my team – good stuff.

The Leagues Club didn’t sack Grant Mayer, the Football club didn’t sack Grant Mayer – He resigned? What part of that do people not get?

I like Grant and he was a very positive and effective CEO and I’m sorry to see him go and have some serious concerns as to who we will find to replace him.

Yes the letter can be seen as political....but it documents some very important points in relation to the survival of our club and will no doubt upset those who have been saying “What does the Leagues Club ever do for MWSE – why do they have a seat on the board etc etc.”

The Leagues Club has no equity in the MWSE franchise but yet they have donated significant funds – fair that they get to have a say on how the money is spent in my eyes...

If Grant Mayer had announced a deal that would guarantee a $million a season for the club and junior rugby league for 6 years he would have feted, lauded and honoured but when the Leagues club makes this commitment it is lampooned...go figure?

So if the Leagues club are able to continue supporting the club as they so obviously done in the past then I’m more than happy to listen to them and give them my patronage.

Can’t quite figure out why the Leagues Club is being made out to be wearing the black hat here when they are obviously a great supporter of our great club but I will take solace in the fact that when I have a couple of quiet beers there tomorrow before the game and a few noisy ones to celebrate (hopefully) a win afterwards that I will be contributing to a business that will be returning some of my hard earned back to the team I support.

So rather than have a meal or a few beers at the pub up the road I and many others will continue to give our patronage to the Manly Leagues Club – Proudly supporting the Premiers by raising our glasses!

Will any of you guys be joining us?

I would if I was down there Vid...fair dinkum the negative blah blah blah from some of the posters on here do make me wonder.

It does not matter WHAT anyone says that is positive, or a different idea they knock you down!!!

You really wouldn't think we all support the same football team would you???

I am ALL for freedom of speach.....but if you have a different view to mine then list down your ideas...not just a one line dribble simply knocking what I am saying!!

Like I said on the official site:-

You still voted Grant Mayer out. This fluff does nothing to deflect that. See you at the next elections.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I would if I was down there Vid...fair dinkum the negative blah blah blah from some of the posters on here do make me wonder.

It does not matter WHAT anyone says that is positive, or a different idea they knock you down!!!

You really wouldn't think we all support the same football team would you???

I am ALL for freedom of speach.....but if you have a different view to mine then list down your ideas...not just a one line dribble simply knocking what I am saying!!
your deadset kidding aren't you mark. I don.t think i need to prove my love for this club to anyone. I have a geniune fear for the future of this great club based on the events that have occured over the last 5 months. We lost our club once and got a second chance if we lose it again it will be for ever. So you blokes can feel free to take as gospel word for word the bull**** thats being fed to you but i wont . The truth will be out there soon enough. Also id like see a break down of 30 million in 16 year im tipping that atleast 60 percent of that money would have been handed it between 93 and 98

I wonder how much of that revenue was earnt from actually football days? I wonderr how they'd go with The Sea Eagles

Ryan: Like I said on the official site:-

You still voted Grant Mayer out. This fluff does nothing to deflect that. See you at the next elections.

Reply: $30 mill and rising – Fluff? Hmmm..wish my belly button fluff contained a smidgen of that!

No-one voted Grant Mayer out!! HE RESIGNED!!!!!

Next elections – You standing? I’m seeing lots of keyboard sniping but not seeing anyone on here or other forums putting up their hands for a role on the board or proposing who we can consider for a new board – maybe it is easier to be critical than constructive or help to fix things by coming up with workable solutions that are better than we have now?

If I’m wrong – share your thoughts with us?

I’m a football club member and if a great candidate for the board comes forward with good ideas, sound business plans and the credibility to back them up then rest assured I will listen and consider them for my vote and if need be do all I can to get others to do the same – If not then let’s support the ones we have and if you are not happy with them or their performance let them know and make some noise and give them your thoughts to make it right?

Cliffy: So you blokes can feel free to take as gospel word for word the bullS**t thats being fed to you but i wont . The truth will be out there soon enough. Also id like see a break down of 30 million in 16 year im tipping that atleast 60 percent of that money would have been handed it between 93 and 98

Reply: Cliffy , yes no doubting your passion mate, but $30 mill is $30 mill – not to be sneezed at and very welcome...any comment from you about the commitment of the money in coming years or will your principles see you voting not to accept that from the Leagues club? (I'm happy to propose that and carry your proxy if you can't get to the next AGM (But I know where the smart money would be going on the result of that vote?))

I’d like to think I’m pretty savvy and can smell bull**** a mile away (as can Mark I reckon) so neither of us is gullible and am saddened that you may think so when you know us both well and know our track record in supporting the club?...As above, it looks like you are trying to do something board wise so will wait with interest to see if you reply as per my email to you.
You know my intentions so if you think I can help you have my number?

Ryan:
I wonder how much of that revenue was earnt from actually football days? I wonderr how they'd go with The Sea Eagles

Reply: words.....Gift horse...Mouth spring to mind...Oh and the word symbiotic...

I’m trying to see some good from all this and point out some facts...some want to continue the fighting and criticism...There are none so blind.....You both conveniently shied away from the fact that the Leagues Club has done an awful lot to support the team, you both ignored the facts that were stated and both seem to want to put blame on people rather than giving credit where due, look for positives or propose workable solutions.
I’m seeing (and supportive of the) many people working behind the scenes who want to get things back on track and pick up the pieces and support our team and are giving tangible and credible reference to their track record to date.

I know where my vote is leaning to at the moment (And it won’t be the “I think everyone else is crap so best vote for me” party)

Not doubting that for one moment Vidmar, but as an outsider looking in it does not look like he had too many options other than sit out the remainder of his contract & leave in October. It seems fairly clear to me that he was not going to be offered an extension beyond that, but then again I don't know, just my opinion.

There are currently 2 vacancies for CEO's in the NRL (pretty sure Fisk at the Sharks is only an interim CEO). Grant did what any savvy person would do knowing that their income was going to stop in October and there is a reasonable opportunity at not 1 but 2 possible jobs for him to pursue.

vidmar link said:
Bob lets get the facts straight mate

Grant resigned because it was made perfectly clear to him on several occasions his contract wasnt going to be renew past october 2009 because the boards vote was 5-2 and no matter what bull**** you have been told it was 5-2 and nothing changed. He was ask to present a business plan only too be told 4 days after the broncos game he wasnt required to present it because his contract wouldnt be renewed past 2009.
Why because the board voted 5-2 just like the same members of the board who put out the relocation scare campagin voted to take 2 games away from brookvale.

For a board thats has no factions 5-2 is popping up more than 40 nil.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4