Is being Manly.... important?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
From a cursory glance at the list of Manly players I have found that since 2000 we have had some 127 players debut for Manly FG .. and only 11 of those could be considered local juniors.

(And 3 of those are currently playing at other clubs, Guthbo, Hoppa and Oldfield. I didn't do figures for players that came from elsewhere and spent a couple of years in our 20's. Probably 10 or so?)

Anyway, that is 8.7% of the total players debuted are locals . Or in other words, 91.3% of all our players since 2000 have been imported from the dark side.

Given this history, and the fact that imports have contributed over 90% of the people creating our culture I thought by now, we would be more welcoming and appreciative of imports.

This mantra of you have to be Manly to understand is codswallop.

From a cursory glance at the list of Manly players I have found that since 2000 we have had some 127 players debut for Manly FG .. and only 11 of those could be considered local juniors.

(And 3 of those are currently playing at other clubs, Guthbo, Hoppa and Oldfield. I didn't do figures for players that came from elsewhere and spent a couple of years in our 20's. Probably 10 or so?)

Anyway, that is 8.7% of the total players debuted are locals . Or in other words, 91.3% of all our players since 2000 have been imported from the dark side.

Given this history, and the fact that imports have contributed over 90% of the people creating our culture I thought by now, we would be more welcoming and appreciative of imports.

But when an import fails it can only be one reason apparently , they don't get the culture. Anything else is an excuse

Michael O'Conner should never have been allowed anywhere near the joint , came from union then to Saints and has since been outspoken about league culture compared to Union. Some how we battled on despite this hinderance.

I don't think everyone has to be a local junior. I think becoming Manly by soaking up the culture of the club and the beaches. Hanging out with mates in one of the most beautiful parts of Australia, forming bonds that will inspire players to bust their gut for each other on the field.
Look at BJ. He's a great example of this. Josh Perry is another. Was a Sea Eagle for three years and is now a Golden Eagle.

Michael O'Conner should never have been allowed anywhere near the joint , came from union then to Saints and has since been outspoken about league culture compared to Union. Some how we battled on despite this hinderance.

Ditto Matthew Ridge, should never have been allowed near the joint!!

And Craig Innes, didn't get the culture at all!!

I disagree with the sentiment woodsie, sorry.

Brett & Glenn Stewart weren't locals, but they sure as hell are Manly boys. Steve Matai was found in QLD, he sure as hell is Manly. Heck, I consider DCE a Manly man (despite his contract debacle).

No, I think it's more about where a relative player was developed, and in the past decade (not so much the last 18 months) our club had a habit of churning out superstars.

Jamie Buhrer while from Wentworthville way, developed at Manly. He's Manly.

Being Manly is taking pay cuts to remain together. Being Manly is going above and beyond in defense, and putting your body on the line like Watmough used to. Being Manly, is showing true class and loyalty like Matt Ballin (he came from Kingaroy), and my favorite player (along with Greg Florimo) Steve Menzies is Manly.

I don't think when people claim a player is or isn't Manly, it's about their birthplace.

It's about their roots, culture, development and patriotism to The Sea Eagles & our jersey.

We are presently in a phase where I feel our players are there, to earn an income. They are there trying to do a job. They will have up and down times, but they (some of them) lack that Manly passion that made us a heavyweights in the last 10 years.

No longer is the brotherhood evident. That's clear to me. We lack the "in the trenches" siege mentality we used to have.

Jason King said to me personally one time when the club was turning around after the Northern Eagles times, that we had lots of great players, playing great football, but the challenge for the club, was to get everyone to buy in, and play as a team.

That's once again our culture. We may have some amazing talent and players, but we aren't playing Manly football.

The passion, pride, effort, chemistry, brotherhood is dead, and that's where I think people are coming from when they claim particular players or particular games aren't Manly, because it's a huge culture change from only 5 years ago.

Donny Singe on fb today
Screenshot_2016-08-27-11-43-29.png

Teams build their own culture , their own brotherhood. It's just lucky we've had coaches who could mould teams into a common cause. The all for one attitude. Everyone's against us mentality.
Now it's up to Bozo and Barrett to do it. 2017 is a watershed year. They've had time now to assemble the team they want. If they don't produce real tangible results next year then indeed our culture will be diminished for yrs to come.

Brett & Glenn Stewart weren't locals, but they sure as hell are Manly boys. Steve Matai was found in QLD, he sure as hell is Manly. Heck, I consider DCE a Manly man (despite his contract debacle).

No, I think it's more about where a relative player was developed, and in the past decade (not so much the last 18 months) our club had a habit of churning out superstars.

Being Manly is taking pay cuts to remain together. Being Manly is going above and beyond in defense, and putting your body on the line like Watmough used to. Being Manly, is showing true class and loyalty like Matt Ballin (he came from Kingaroy), and my favorite player (along with Greg Florimo) Steve Menzies is Manly.

I don't think when people claim a player is or isn't Manly, it's about their birthplace.

It's about their roots, culture, development and patriotism to The Sea Eagles & our jersey.

We are presently in a phase where I feel our players are there, to earn an income. They are there trying to do a job. They will have up and down times, but they (some of them) lack that Manly passion that made us a heavyweights in the last 10 years.

No longer is the brotherhood evident. That's clear to me. We lack the "in the trenches" siege mentality we used to have.

Jason King said to me personally one time when the club was turning around after the Northern Eagles times, that we had lots of great players, playing great football, but the challenge for the club, was to get everyone to buy in, and play as a team.

That's once again our culture. We may have some amazing talent and players, but we aren't playing Manly football.

The passion, pride, effort, chemistry, brotherhood is dead, and that's where I think people are coming from when they claim particular players or particular games aren't Manly, because it's a huge culture change from only 5 years ago.
You are remembering fondly a time when we had the best attitude in the game. If you believe that mentality was developed in a year or two you are not right. That era built up slowly as the next one will hopefully. The brotherhood mentality turned to custard when it suited the brothers. We could have spent years and years lamenting the lost culture before the golden spell but I chose to look more at the talent slowly being developed and enjoying the process. I am doing that right now.

Teams build their own culture , their own brotherhood. It's just lucky we've had coaches who could mould teams into a common cause. The all for one attitude. Everyone's against us mentality.
Now it's up to Bozo and Barrett to do it. 2017 is a watershed year. They've had time now to assemble the team they want. If they don't produce real tangible results next year then indeed our culture will be diminished for yrs to come.
We can have a hopeless year in 17 and win it in 18 , none of us know what will happen , plenty of so called culture drops out of the sky when players sniff a title.

None of us could control where we were born or raised but ff you're lucky (or talented enough) to be a local junior and play your entire career at that one club it's a dream come true. But I don't believe that gives you a mortgage on passion or loyalty.
You can love the area and love the club but I reckon team sports are equally about turning up for the guys you play beside.

Sometimes when we bag blokes on here (myself included) I think we forget what a massive effort these blokes have gone through just to pull on that jumper.
Many try but few succeed !

I'll try and get over it.

The notion that the Manly culture is unique is ridiculous and arrogant.

What Jason King said to you (personally .. wow, aren't you wonderful) is identical to the situation at 15 other clubs. Play as a team .. I hope none of the other coaches learns that secret now that you have published it.

And of course we don't have chemistry scoop ... 12 of the players playing last week weren't playing last year. To expect this group to be any thing other than a team in transition is foolish.

Your patriotic rant about Manly showing loyalty, class, passion and pride etc is exactly the same qualities displayed by every club currently going well. Manly don't have a mortgage on any of those things.

To think that players come here devoid of character and any significant values that could be considered Manly is absurd. Many players come here with exactly the culture we need.

The most important factors to returning to the "Manly" days are time together and a consistent playing group.

Of course it matters, every club has some form of culture, good or bad. Manly might have been built on outsiders coming to the club yes, but the club must have some form of foundation to support to WHY THESE PLAYERS WANT TO COME. great coaching staff, lifestyle or whatever. Manly was a team everyone wanted to play for because of the success they endure, and that attracts players that want to win a premiership. To say it all BS it completely off track. If you don't understand culture than you are at the wrong club, why do people want to play for Bennett or Bellamy, Cause u have to understand what these clubs stand for.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6