Is being Manly.... important?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'll try and get over it.

The notion that the Manly culture is unique is ridiculous and arrogant.

What Jason King said to you (personally .. wow, aren't you wonderful) is identical to the situation at 15 other clubs. Play as a team .. I hope none of the other coaches learns that secret now that you have published it.

And of course we don't have chemistry scoop ... 12 of the players playing last week weren't playing last year. To expect this group to be any thing other than a team in transition is foolish.

Your patriotic rant about Manly showing loyalty, class, passion and pride etc is exactly the same qualities displayed by every club currently going well. Manly don't have a mortgage on any of those things.

To think that players come here devoid of character and any significant values that could be considered Manly is absurd. Many players come here with exactly the culture we need.

The most important factors to returning to the "Manly" days are time together and a consistent playing group.

You hit the nail on the head there woodsie. It IS arrogant, and when we were at our best, that's how opposition fans, coaches & players thought about us. I wore that as a badge of honour with our team.

We were insular. Didn't matter what negative influences tried to destabilise, we always pushed through it.

Also, there is a reason players like Lewis Brown stated they were jealous of Manlys culture - and that is precisely why our brand was different to others. That's from a players mouth, not my opinion.

Yes, every coach wants their players to play as a team, but some playing groups do it better than others.

Rapana and Leilua (apologies for the spelling) have been together a total of 0 years, yet are the most lethal right hand side combination in the game today statistically. So stating consistency and time together is BS. watch them today. I HAVE seen a documentary though where they state they are best mates, and are the happiest they have ever been profesionally.

That's culture. Culture and chemistry.

You know we can respectfully disagree mate. Not sure why my post angered or frustrated you? I'm just stating my opinion and trying to add value on a thread you created.

End of the day, Canberra also have a HEAP of new players, and look where they are. Titans have over achieved with almost a completely new roster. I'm sorry mate, I still disagree.

Get everyone playing with passion for what Manly means. Get the playing group playing like brothers. Have less blokes playing for the $$$$ only, and more for each other, and we'll get much better results on the field.

It looks like Terry Lambs comment about Des not getting the dogs culture has set off a lot of this talk. I prefer not to repeat someone elses nonsense and base my whole debate around it. More to the point is that Terry Lamb has potentially derailed Des Hasler at his Lambs own club where he apparently is part of the culture. If Lamb wanted to help his club not his ego and agenda he would support the club or at worse talk behind closed doors to someone. Tezza Hill was highly vocal as the club was building up to Haslers golden run. He said they were crazy to be off loading players like hardened experienced players like we did , ask him about culture back then and he might never have stopped. This year will be a memory soon and who will care about so called culture issues

Mai
You hit the nail on the head there woodsie. It IS arrogant, and when we were at our best, that's how opposition fans, coaches & players thought about us. I wore that as a badge of honour with our team.

We were insular. Didn't matter what negative influences tried to destabilise, we always pushed through it.

Also, there is a reason players like Lewis Brown stated they were jealous of Manlys culture - and that is precisely why our brand was different to others. That's from a players mouth, not my opinion.

Yes, every coach wants their players to play as a team, but some playing groups do it better than others.

Rapana and Leilua (apologies for the spelling) have been together a total of 0 years, yet are the most lethal right hand side combination in the game today statistically. So stating consistency and time together is BS. watch them today. I HAVE seen a documentary though where they state they are best mates, and are the happiest they have ever been profesionally.

You know we can respectfully disagree mate. Not sure why my post angered or frustrated you? I'm just stating my opinion and trying to add value on a thread you created.

End of the day, Canberra also have a HEAP of new players, and look where they are. Titans have over achieved with almost a completely new roster. I'm sorry mate, I still disagree.

Get everyone playing with passion for what Manly means. Get the playing group playing like brothers. Have less blokes playing for the $$$$ only, and more for each other, and we'll get much better results on the field.

Mainly because you speak in jingoistic clichés. To respectfully disagree would require that I had some respect for your nonsense calls of no excuses, playing like brothers, not playing for $$$ gibberish.

Watching the scum play last night showed (even in a losing team) what they have is pretty special. Not one player ever stands there not expecting to be involved. Every player, every play of the ball is poised and ready for anything that might come their way. They may not have a team full of super talented players, but they make up for that by having a team of players always ready to grasp any opportunity. Not sure if it is the fear of martina's wrath when they get back to the sheds or what but it is impressive - as much as I loath that team you have to be impressed by them

Mai

Mainly because you speak in jingoistic clichés. To respectfully disagree would require that I had some respect for your nonsense calls of no excuses, playing like brothers, not playing for $$$ gibberish.

Ok, so lose all that. Let's look at facts:-
+ Leulua and Ropana - explain their stats
+ Lewis Brown - explain his comments
+ Explain Canberra / Titans position on ladder give roster turnover

Here is the Titans team this week - place a mark next to the players that were in first grade with them last season. LOL, they actually have a brand new 1,6, 7 AND 9, apart from many others.

1 – Jarryd Hayne
2 – Anthony Don
3 – Josh Hoffman
4 – Konrad Hurrell
5 - Nene Macdonald
6 – Tyrone Roberts
7 – Ash Taylor
8 – Luke Douglas
9 – Nathan Peats
10 – Ryan James
11 – Zeb Taia
12 – Chris McQueen
13 – Greg Bird

INTERCHANGE

14 – David Shillington
15 – Ryan Simpkins
16 – Agnatius Paasi
17 – Nathan Friend

They can get a bit heated these debates and I remember people turning purple in the face about super league dominating China and Arthurson was a devil etc Waste of time getting too fired up but I am guilty myself. What I don't get in your post is how you compare us to the Raiders and the Titans as if they overnight have discovered culture yet we are clueless. What happens if one of these clubs end up 13th next year despite doing little different on the culture level. Will it then be because Henry is from somewhere or Ricky Stewart spent too long at easts or do we have to admit we just do not really know all the answers?

From a cursory glance at the list of Manly players I have found that since 2000 we have had some 127 players debut for Manly FG .. and only 11 of those could be considered local juniors.

(And 3 of those are currently playing at other clubs, Guthbo, Hoppa and Oldfield. I didn't do figures for players that came from elsewhere and spent a couple of years in our 20's. Probably 10 or so?)

Anyway, that is 8.7% of the total players debuted are locals . Or in other words, 91.3% of all our players since 2000 have been imported from the dark side.

Given this history, and the fact that imports have contributed over 90% of the people creating our culture I thought by now, we would be more welcoming and appreciative of imports.

This mantra of you have to be Manly to understand is codswallop.
Buhrer was a manly fan who came to us at his first opportunity so I count him as a manly junior

Here is the Titans team this week - place a mark next to the players that were in first grade with them last season. LOL, they actually have a brand new 1,6, 7 AND 9, apart from many others.

1 – Jarryd Hayne
2 – Anthony Don
3 – Josh Hoffman
4 – Konrad Hurrell
5 - Nene Macdonald
6 – Tyrone Roberts
7 – Ash Taylor
8 – Luke Douglas
9 – Nathan Peats
10 – Ryan James
11 – Zeb Taia
12 – Chris McQueen
13 – Greg Bird

INTERCHANGE

14 – David Shillington
15 – Ryan Simpkins
16 – Agnatius Paasi
17 – Nathan Friend

You don't even seem to have the wit to understand you are arguing my case for me.

The above success stories you mention just proves you don't need to be indoctrinated into your mystical Manly "only" culture to be successful.

Maybe somebody told them Kingy said play as a team.

1 – Jarryd Hayne
2 – Anthony Don
3 – Josh Hoffman
4 – Konrad Hurrell
5 - Nene Macdonald
6 – Tyrone Roberts
7 – Ash Taylor
8 – Luke Douglas
9 – Nathan Peats
10 – Ryan James
11 – Zeb Taia
12 – Chris McQueen
13 – Greg Bird

INTERCHANGE

14 – David Shillington
15 – Ryan Simpkins
16 – Agnatius Paasi
17 – Nathan Friend
The Titans have done really well but can anyone explain it? Who before the season thought they would challenge for the eight? Lewis Brown I guess was talking about the culture that existed when he made the comment. This so called culture comes and goes and to be able to just pluck it out of the air is not possible which is what is being suggested

Buhrer was a manly fan who came to us at his first opportunity so I count him as a manly junior

I'll happily concede that point and change the number to 12.

Having said being local is less important than the character of the import, I confess to being rapt when a local kid debuts.

Seeing 2v debut against the Poms at Brookie will remain one of my highlights. Watching Watmough, Kingy, Beaver coming through the grades is what builds a lot of pride in a club.

Being Manly is more about attitude than where you are from.
Paul Vautin is a prime example.
Sh*t on big time by the club 2 years after leading us to a premiership but a more Sea Eagle minded individual you would never meet.
As for the juniors it's the premium quality of those that make it that stands out.
In my time these names spring to mind.
Jones, krilich, martin, Randall, Thompson, gartner, Blake, Gibbs, Daley, Toovey, Gartner again Menzies right through to the T bros and probably more I didn't include.

You don't even seem to have the wit to understand you are arguing my case for me.

The above success stories you mention just proves you don't need to be indoctrinated into your mystical Manly "only" culture to be successful.

Maybe somebody told them Kingy said play as a team.

Hahaha. I love it when you start insulting the poster (me in this case) in a debate. Clearest sign of conceding the debate without actually doing so. As others have said to you, it's when you become overly activated.

You won't get a rise from me champion, sorry. Yes, I lack the wit. Yes, my theories are mystical. Yes, I'm sorry you took me having a conversation with Jason King to heart.

Abuse aside, I agree with people who say the club at present doesn't have the Manly feel to it, from top to bottom.

Unsure why you ask a question in a post, get people to share their opinions, then attack those that may differ to yours.

Relax.

Hahaha. I love it when you start insulting the poster (me in this case) in a debate. Clearest sign of conceding the debate without actually doing so. As others have said to you, it's when you become overly activated.

You won't get a rise from me champion, sorry. Yes, I lack the wit. Yes, my theories are mystical. Yes, I'm sorry you took me having a conversation with Jason King to heart.

Abuse aside, I agree with people who say the club at present doesn't have the Manly feel to it, from top to bottom.

Unsure why you ask a question in a post, get people to share their opinions, then attack those that may differ to yours.

Relax.

If you believe someone insulting you is a sign of conceding a debate you have even less wit than I imagined.

If you believe someone insulting you is a sign of conceding a debate you have even less wit than I imagined.

Point in case.

Yes, yes, I have less wit than you imagine. I'm devastated you feel this way about me.

I hope in some way this is making you feel big, better or happy in some way Woodsie?

Just chillax. You'll end up with a clot or something.

Despite your aggression, I still say being a local junior has a very nominal affect.on whether a player is "Manly".

Jamie Buhrer, Steve Matai & the Stewart boys are just as much Manly as Jake Trbojevic.

It's their character, fight, passion and love for the jersey that really makes them Manly men, and that, sir, is culture.

Point in case.

Yes, yes, I have less wit than you imagine. I'm devastated you feel this way about me.

I hope in some way this is making you feel big, better or happy in some way Woodsie?

Just chillax. You'll end up with a clot or something.

Despite your aggression, I still say being a local junior has a very nominal affect.on whether a player is "Manly".

Jamie Buhrer, Steve Matai & the Stewart boys are just as much Manly as Jake Trbojevic.

It's their character, fight, passion and love for the jersey that really makes them Manly men, and that, sir, is culture.

Good, you now have said exactly what the point of my thread was.

What all that unique Manly culture dribble you went on with had to do with anything I don't know.

Good, you now have said exactly what the point of my thread was.

What all that unique Manly culture dribble you went on with had to do with anything I don't know.

Then you're mistaking what I'm saying Woodsie. It's exactly that unique Manly culture, from the owners, to dealing with adversity, to attitude with home games, to the players, to who has decision making power etc that we are lacking.

As we can see in the league this year, you can have massive turnover or injuries, and still be quite succesful, so I don't buy that.

I vehemently disagree that given consistency, we will automatically be successful. That is an element yes, but there's much, much more (including that unique Manly culture) that makes for a winning season.

There is a reason you posted this thread. Because it obviously bemuses you why people have been making that statement, but making that statement they have. There is a reason people feel the way they do.

It's not a debate any one can prove really because if Manly win again you can say it would not have happened without our unique culture and no one can prove otherwise and you can't prove it exists how ever hard you try. I seem to recall statements saying that we can't be successful under Barrett. Let's hope a giant humble pie falls out of the sky in the next year or so and a feast begins. I bet there were heated debates on retaining Foran ,Watto and the Gift. I bet some strong opinions were expressed about their retention and the collapse of Rome. Say this culture is so critical and easy to spot, what has happened to the other clubs down the bottom and if they are near the top next year is culture the reason? , seems a lot more fickle than you would imagine

There seems to be a point of view from one camp that they can prove Barrett is a dud. You cannot prove that point at all but you keep trying. No matter what "evidence " you claim it can only be your opinion and nothing else. I am in the camp that says I don't know and I am willing to give the rebuild time and suspect good times ahead. I wondered why we bought Joe Gnulavao years ago but luckilly I didn't back up my opinion with a whole lot of "proof" based on the last few years before his signing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4