Is Des as good as Wayne Bennett?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bazeagle

Bencher
Is he?
Is he as clever tactically?
Does Des have the ability to galvanise players such that they adore him like the Saints players clearly do to Wayne?
Honestly?

Bennett's had 23 years in first grade coaching Des has had 6. After 6 years Bennett had 1 win 1 loss same as Des. Let's see how Des is after 23 seasons.

Des took over the reigns in 2004 (we came 13th) after a putrid run with Peter Sharp at the helm (gets cold shivers). Since that time:-

2005 - 8th
2006 - 5th
2007 - 2nd
2008 - 2nd
2009 - 5th
2010 - 8th

So, a coach that has never fallen out of the finals. A coach that gets talked about for The Blues. A coach that is regularly runner up at the Daly-M's for coach of the year.

Ok, since Graham Lowe has com on board, we have gone backward in the player market, but since Des has been coach, notable blue chip players like:-

Ben Kennedy
Brent Kite
Steve Bell
Matt Orford

have all opted to play for us, rather than other teams. That says a lot for our system & culture.

Personally, I think he's pretty good. This year, he played:-
Whare
Hopoate
Oldfield
Buhrer
giving the youngsters a go.

For the life of me, I HAVE to consider that Des sees something in our young forwards that may coming through going forward, and that it's just not Lowe's inability to sign players.

I'd say we have the 3rd best coach in the NRL. (Bennett / Bellamy) the only coaches I'd have before him.

Ryan, if Mayer was sitll CEO we would still be high on the Salary cap it happens as we upgraded so many of the 08 GF players Contracts.

Give it a rest unless you want us to cheat the salary cap it was always oging to happen, you get 2-3 years with a top side to have a play at the premiership and we did it in 07 and 08, should of done it in 09 but injuries and a disasterous launch killed us.

Have a good hard think, if a certain #1 played the past 2 years and a certain #5 played this year how would we have fared on the ladder?

you even contradict yourself by mentioning osme youngsters we signed, resigned and upgraded.

Jonesyv2 link said:
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=185696.msg301236#msg301236 date=1286361247]
we arent spending the full cap next year

I think you will find we are close to it
[/quote]

On the Wii i couldnt hold the 2009 team together,i ended up registering a bunch of free agents and giving them match payments......restarted the thing and signed a bunch of u20s in the squad of 25

Just upgrading by the littlest i could i found that i couldnt keep the team together,i had to let 6 guys go

[/quote]

Jonesey is right, Lowe has said as much...it's the "back end" deals that are killing us, as they will the Dragons in 11 and 12, Gaznier alone would be on min payment this year to fit him in, so half year say $27500....to catch up next year he'll be on say $550 and maybe $700 the year after...let's see how good the Dragons go when Daaaaarius wants a $250K upgrade, Young the same and Coward wants one too.

See how they hold their "Dynasty" together then.

Sadly it's just the way the cap works, and is why I think we'll be just making up the numbers for 2011, and perhaps even 2012 with 2013 our next big shot again (5 years after the last one).

And in answer to the original question.....no......not yet (but give him time)

Mark from Brisbane link said:

Jonesey is right, Lowe has said as much...it's the "back end" deals that are killing us, as they will the Dragons in 11 and 12, Gaznier alone would be on min payment this year to fit him in, so half year say $27500....to catch up next year he'll be on say $550 and maybe $700 the year after...let's see how good the Dragons go when Daaaaarius wants a $250K upgrade, Young the same and Coward wants one too.

See how they hold their "Dynasty" together then.

Sadly it's just the way the cap works, and is why I think we'll be just making up the numbers for 2011, and perhaps even 2012 with 2013 our next big shot again (5 years after the last one).

And in answer to the original question.....no......not yet (but give him time)
[/quote]

you're right Mark.They've already lost a couple of forwards.The next year (2012) will be the big bite,when,as you say,they have to start upgrading their 2010 GF team!Will Gasnier be worth it?? Big Q!

Ryan link said:
I'd say we have the 3rd best coach in the NRL. (Bennett / Bellamy) the only coaches I'd have before him.

I wouldn't take either of them ahead of Des - especially Bellamy. If you think our blokes don't hold Des in the highest regard you must be joking. Plus - Des has Manly history. That is priceless.

The maroon & white glasses out out tonight. If anyone thinks our squad minus snake and wolfie weren't capable of a finish above 8th just didn't see what I did. I love Des. I am sure the players love Des. But to put Bennett up against Hasler is no contest. 8th doesn't sit well with me at all. Poor, poor year.

You're spot on there SER8. Mercenaries dont work at our club. Des, Bozo, Stanton,Willey all club legends and the only ones to coach premierships.

Darren link said:
Gronk, where did you hear we aren't spending the full cap?? If that is so, we are in big trouble!!

Silly debate. the 2 predominant issues of 1) is Des as good as Bennett and 2) how the cap equates to the first question, are both impossible to have any degree of accuracy.

Darren/Gronks question is interesting though. If we dont spend the cap next year and yet maintain a healthy squad of experience while blooding a few rookies, surely that must mean very good cap management. No ?

Des Hasler is one of the Best Coaches in the business

I wouldnt swap him for anyone else

Seriously since he has become our coach we have been a Force

Even last year with our speedters gone and all the crap Manly have copped from the media i.e Stewart Trial, Dud Ref Calls, has to take its toll somewhere on the players , however they were still competitive and still made the eight

I reckon we are a Top 4 Team next year and we will take out the Grand Final if Stewart is back to his best

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8