Is Horo our best option?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mal Cochrane

I'm not really Mal Cochrane...
I'm still not sold on this guy yet.

he had a few good games last year and scored a few tries of foran running good lines, but i don;t really see any impact from him most games. i think he plays too wide, but that is where he is meant to play to fit in with the team plan.

Thoughts?

I was thinking the same last night. However I do not think Stewart and Buhrer on the field at the same time is best for the team. Need a player like Horo that just hits it up like he does.

At this stage he is probably our best option but I think someone like Symonds could take his spot if he gets back to his best.

He is better than the backrower he replaced, T Williams. His defence is pretty good. Noticed a few dropped balls have crept into his game this year. Got to cut that out

His defence in the GF and this year have been poor.
Just has a noticable lapse in reading the play.

If Nami is a second row option, it would be a monster LHS :idea:

g'day all,i can see some tough decisions needing to be made regarding the backrow in the very near future when all players are available.
cheers mike

Did I miss something? Horo is one of our best. He is nearly our go-to man when Gifty isn't around. He takes on a **** load of work in the middle.

i agree buhrer and glen stewart together are not a good a mix, i would like to see toovey give sene lafao more game time,see what he is capable of, i think he is probably the best option to balance stewart/buhrer with horo on the bench.

wombatgc said:
Did I miss something? Horo is one of our best. He is nearly our go-to man when Gifty isn't around. He takes on a ... load of work in the middle.

Don't believe what I'm reading. Horo is solid as a rock and exactly what we need in that position. He is defintely the man we need at 12. Leave him be. Buhrer will always be a bench utility unless Gift goes. It's the only position he can occupy whilst ever Gift is there. 1 ball playing stepping backrower and 2 x worker tradesman hard tough hitmen.

I'm an unashamed Horo fan. I think he adds a lot, he runs hard, scored 9 (I think) tries last year, and defensively pretty good.

Now probably been a bit quiet this year....no worries. And when we have a full contingent sure there are some tough decisions to be made.....but when does that happen?

Currently Horo is my no.12.

Horo will always be one of those players that are under rated because of the work he does off the ball and down the other end of the field.

For example on Friday Night he was the guy taking the big hit ups when we were under the pump and going nowhere, also he kept doing it even when he got smashed.

Does the dirty stuff when no one else will, very similar to Choc. They were working in tandem every set starting on our own end.

never rated him.. still dont.. has had a few good games.. but if Symonds is back and fit.. id rather he start.

Horo is very good and deserves to be in the starting line up. People just seem to notice if he scores 2tries and smashes a couple of the opposition., I think this is wrong, his play week in week out is solid and required by the eagles very much. So glad we have him at present.

mike walker said:
g'day all,i can see some tough decisions needing to be made regarding the backrow in the very near future when all players are available.
cheers mike
Yes, although a little hypothetical, the rotation with the sheer number of them we have, could see Gift, Choc, Horo, JSL, Symonds, Buhrer being rested, rotated out of the team @ SOO time. But the unfortunate reality is injuries will take care of any overcrowding in backrower ranks.

I am not doubting horos ability as a player, however i believe he may have more of a impact as a bench player, playing the back end of both halves

I think he and foz just have to start believing in the move again. It felt like last year they couldn't believe how often foz put horo into gaps...so they stopped it.

I don't mind the guy.

Plenty of heart and while he's no Choc or Gift, he is more than solid.

I think Horo, T-Red and Ferris are pretty even in what they bring to the side. Saw plenty to suggest Jesse will be in the mix in the very near future too.

Tooves also really rates Chee-Kam. We haven't seen too much of him due to injuries, but Tooves' assessment will do me.

I think Horo's issue is that he ended up playing more in the middle 3rd than the LH 3rd because of our lack of props end of last season, and maybe due to lack of experience with the new comers this year. He had to do more grunt work than edge running.

I also feel he might be a little light on size wise and lacks a bit of leg drive for that role. If you look at some of the other fringe running backrowers getting around that are effective, they would all have 10+kg on him. Sam Burgess, Taumololo, Papali, Thaiday, Trex(??)/Pritchard, Dave taylor, SBW, etc are all bigger units or more powerful runners.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4