Is it East Sydney or East Auckland?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Apart from the Worriers, it appears to me that Easts have the most Kiwis and Pacific Islanders in their 17. Smith seems to go for these huge blokes who look good when attacking but drop off noticeably in defence.
When the NRL reduces the number of interchanges these type of players will be less valuable, imo.
Does anyone have stats on the percentages of Kiwis/Pacific Islanders in the various first grade teams? We've seen the trend coming for the past decade.
Do you think there will come a time when Clubs are restricted to a certain number of overseas players - Souffs are an examples and are seeking more Englishmen - or players who have pledged their allegiances to countries other than Australia ie. JWH)? It has happened in Sydney grade cricket for 20 years or more.
By filling positions with non-Australian players it lessens opportunities for locals and weakens our Test team.

I would think categorizing a players ability based on their heritage ish as inherit flaws.....and is a little bit racist

Matai is a kiwi - is he "lazy"?

Dumb thread - I feel dirty for posting in it

The Who said:
Apart from the Worriers, it appears to me that Easts have the most Kiwis and Pacific Islanders in their 17. Smith seems to go for these huge blokes who look good when attacking but drop off noticeably in defence.
When the NRL reduces the number of interchanges these type of players will be less valuable, imo.
Does anyone have stats on the percentages of Kiwis/Pacific Islanders in the various first grade teams? We've seen the trend coming for the past decade.
Do you think there will come a time when Clubs are restricted to a certain number of overseas players - Souffs are an examples and are seeking more Englishmen - or players who have pledged their allegiances to countries other than Australia ie. JWH)? It has happened in Sydney grade cricket for 20 years or more.
By filling positions with non-Australian players it lessens opportunities for locals and weakens our Test team.
You are kidding right? These Pacific Islanders ( as you refer to them) are mostly first generation Aussies so are you going to ban them?

60-70% islanders.
Ethnicity has nothing to do with it, it's all to do with the Individual.

Jonathon Thurstons parents - mother is aboriginal and his father Maori how many people would want him out of there side

The Who said:

Ridiculous, just ridiculous.

The top EPL players are made up of african, South American and Europeans other than English and look how strong their comp is and it's easily one of the best sporting comp on earth.

Imagine Parra saying to SBW. Sorry mate cant have you. We already have 3 Islanders for the year.

Stupid thread. The more International players that want to play in the NRL the better. Your theory would be sending the game backwards and kicking International Rugby league while it's trying to get off the floor.

The Who, you are a goose. Racist goose at that. Next you'll be saying the Aboriginal and etnic players have no part to play in this league. If that was the case we lose Mattai, Tafua, the Forans, Williams, Galavau, Mauro, Kite, Rose. We would never have seen the Lyons, Shearers, Iros, Ridges, Krillichs and others wear the famous jersey.

I get the feeling if the technology were available we would have seen similar posts to this in the US thirty years ago when sporting teams there started be dominated by African American players.

If the post were more thoughtfully presented rather than xenophobic perhaps a discussion could be entered into but it seems not to lend itself to anything other than racist complaint and comparison.

The Who said:
up here in newcastle when smith took over he got rid of a heap of juniors & replaced them with islanders-seems to be the way he operates
i guess for him size does matter!

castle eagle said:
The Who said:
up here in newcastle when smith took over he got rid of a heap of juniors & replaced them with islanders-seems to be the way he operates
i guess for him size does matter!

Mark Tafau - played Union in Newcastle
Aquila Uate - played at Woy Woy

eagleE said:
The Who, you are a goose. Racist goose at that. Next you'll be saying the Aboriginal and etnic players have no part to play in this league. If that was the case we lose Mattai, Tafua, the Forans, Williams, Galavau, Mauro, Kite, Rose. We would never have seen the Lyons, Shearers, Iros, Ridges, Krillichs and others wear the famous jersey.

You obviously didn’t read this post fully. I asked a question, not stated an opinion. There are plenty of examples around the world where sports restrict the number of overseas players in each club. If you don’t think it should happen in the NRL I respect your opinion.
English cricket had to introduce restrictions 13 years ago because imports were blocking opportunities for locals and causing the standard of their Test team to plummet. Now they are the No. 1 Test nation.
I understand that English soccer don’t have restrictions, and I believe Chelsea had 11 imports in their top team at one stage. This probably explains why England is no longer successful at international level.
With all the non-Australian players in the NRL these days – which is increasing each year – it’s obvious that we have less players to represent us. Or are you in favour of poaching Kiwis like Tamou and now Kasiano to play for Australia?
Where did I mention Matai, let alone say he was lazy?
Where did I mention Thurston or Aboriginal players? Go back and read my original post, and perhaps then the topic can be discussed rationally.

Don't agree at a first grade level about islander players affecting the game but I do think the increase of 1st and 2nd generation islander kids is hurting junior footy and in time will affect nrl and I will explain.

Genetically these kids of Samoan and tongan decent are massive in comparison to Anglo,Asian, indigenous and middle eastern kids. So in junior grades they kill it, it has also seen kids who are late growers leave the game.

The only way this can be fixed is going back to weight divisions in junior footy and to their credit the NswRL has been trialling this.

If you think I'm full of it have a look at the nrl and look at the lack of quality halves and 5/8s in the game (usually the smallest two players). Also go thru the nrl and tell me how many Polynesians or pacific islanders are playing in the halves in first grade don't count ingenious blokes like JT or sandow because genetically aboriginals are a smaller race.

I'm a fan of Polynesian players lets get that clear but I think at a junior level we need to level the playing field to keep smaller talented kids playing the game until they hit their growth spurt.

In Western Sydney, there has been a boom in AFL and a decrease in caucasians playing Rugby League and Rugby Union. Much of this has to do with the earlier maturing of Pacific Islander players, who love their footy. More slightly build players are moving to AFL as a result. That is why there is talk of weight divisions. On that, the Who is correct as is Cam.

At the top level there has been a massive increase of the percentage of players of that background in both the Rugby Codes. Many have gone on to represent Australia and just a look at the most recent League and Union test sides reflects that. Trying to restrict NRL places is racist however, and should not be condoned, though I note an increasing blur between being a Kiwi and being an Aussie, the Kasiano case in the papers being the next one. Mind you, QLD teams are full of 'adopted' players rather than locals.

Cameron said:
Also go thru the nrl and tell me how many Polynesians or pacific islanders are playing in the halves in first grade don't count ingenious blokes like JT or sandow because genetically aboriginals are a smaller race.

Sandow hasn't been too ingenious this season.................

Cameron said:
Don't agree at a first grade level about islander players affecting the game but I do think the increase of 1st and 2nd generation islander kids is hurting junior footy and in time will affect nrl and I will explain.

Genetically these kids of Samoan and tongan decent are massive in comparison to Anglo,Asian, indigenous and middle eastern kids. So in junior grades they kill it, it has also seen kids who are late growers leave the game.

The only way this can be fixed is going back to weight divisions in junior footy and to their credit the NswRL has been trialling this.

If you think I'm full of it have a look at the nrl and look at the lack of quality halves and 5/8s in the game (usually the smallest two players). Also go thru the nrl and tell me how many Polynesians or pacific islanders are playing in the halves in first grade don't count ingenious blokes like JT or sandow because genetically aboriginals are a smaller race.

I'm a fan of Polynesian players lets get that clear but I think at a junior level we need to level the playing field to keep smaller talented kids playing the game until they hit their growth spurt.
Of the top of my head:
JT is part Maori so would have to counted in the Islanders as well.
Pita Goodinet (Samoan)
Ben Roberts
Thomas Leulai

eagles2win said:
Cameron said:

Of the top of my head:
Pita Goodinet (Samoan)
Ben Roberts
Thomas Leulai

So 1 in the nrl Ben Roberts.
JT is more aboriginal
Leulai is in super league.

CW post proves the need for weight divisions in junior league.

Cameron said:
eagles2win said:
Cameron said:

Of the top of my head:
Pita Goodinet (Samoan)
Ben Roberts
Thomas Leulai

So 1 in the nrl Ben Roberts.
JT is more aboriginal
Leulai is in super league.

CW post proves the need for weight divisions in junior league.

How can you be more aboriginal if one of your parents is aboriginal and the other Maori?

Hey ant you know there is a big difference between being Maori and being Polynesian

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6