Is it time to increase the size of the bench

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
With all this talk of an 18th man for concussions, I have been thinking for a while that we should increase the number of bench players to 5.

With the speed of play in the modern game and the large number of injuries that teams are incurring it could improve the quality of teams.

It would greatly benefit us as we could take 4 forwards and a spare back. In otherwords this year we could have Hiku on the bench to cover snake or other backline injuries.

I think it also gives more opportunities to juniors (particularly those that play in the 80 min roles) to play first grade.

Lord Eagleton said:
Whatever most suits the Doggies, Roosters and Souths, Todd Greenberg will implement

You forgot Broncos , Parra, Tigers, Penrith,Storm,Raiders,Cows,Titans,Knights, Dragons,Warriors.
They want us and the Sharks gone.

The bench should consist of an extra 4 players. I can't see the advantage of an 18th player being a 120kg prop and you have a need to replace a winger or a fullback. The coach should have a range of players to act as 18th man and replace accordingly. If your play maker is illegally fouled, you would like to bring on someone who can give your team direction.

HappilyManly said:
I wish we went back to rewarding Reserve grade and had 2 Players who had played there sitting on the 1st Grade Bench as a reward :cool:

Yep, make the "18th man" one that played in reggies.
I remember as a kid that you'd be able to work out who was in line for 1st Grade bench spot by when they got subbed.
They were the days - all three grades numbered 1-39 and then subs so a regular first grader coming back from injury early might wear #45 and play half a game in reserves and then be on the bench for firsts and wear the same number.
Dad used to make sure we got there in plenty of time for the U23's kickoff.

There's not enough depth for 4 as it is.

Every team has 4 replacements on the bench and that is plenty.

The coaches just have to manage it better.

Anyway the game is meant to be played with 13 not 17 or 18 or 19 or 20.

If they go to an 18th for concussion to stop the coaches whining you can bet after a year or two of it being rorted and more complaining the NRL will just say let's make it 5 interchange players instead of 4.

No use for Manly. I swear I only saw Hasson on for last 15 min and Buhrer on for last 10 min. What was 2V trying to do fatigue us or something ? We don't seem to want to use our bench evenly that's for sure.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8