Is the 2014 side better??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
No Kite, Rose, Joe......but Kingy back & 10+ new recruits....
Plus the fact theres some stars on the rise like Hiku, Hasson who will only improve, then add Trobovic, Sao ,Gutherson & Chee kam provided he can stay injury free pushing for a top 17 spot.

Imo the side is stronger as the addition of Starling & Lui will keep the front rowers ripping in every game, especially with Jake Trobovic who I believe will be in the 17 from day 1 & be our biggest revelation in 2014.
If this platform is set for DCE/Foran the outside backs are in for unlimited points which looks likely.
Unsure of Kingy, has been a great local club man & adds more starch than some recognise but feel his injuries have him on his final legs in 2014.
Will miss Kite who at times showed his 2008 form in 2013 but again, the front row stocks show needed depth.
Also now have solid backup for the irreplacable Snake & options in the 3/4 line. Cant see any major weaknesses & again, recruitment looks top shelf with no marquee signings but we only have to fill in the spots around the ones we already have.

Whats the verdict - is this squad an improvement on 2013??

I agree with you maxta . DCE and Foran are young and can only get better. The new recruits look very promising and will breath new life and enthusiasm to our team . Lets us not forget the great 2V . He was born to be a winner !

Definitely sunny times ahead, and I think what you need to add is:

Horo and Lawrence who were standouts this year, and to be honest I still feel there is improvement in them.

Another key point for me is Glenn Stewart, towards the end of the season we all started seeing the Gift of 2011.....pure class, and on his day the best backrower in the world.

Don't forget Richie F is no certainty for next year either depending on the outcome of his neck injury. That's over 800 games of experience up front, which is a big worry. Sure some of these young guys have some wraps on them, but it's a big step up to NRL level and props take longer to mature into quality players. Hopefully they live up to their potential, but many haven't.

Personally I think we are weaker than last year, but time will tell.

Chip and Chase said:
Don't forget Richie F is no certainty for next year either depending on the outcome of his neck injury. That's over 800 games of experience up front, which is a big worry. Sure some of these young guys have some wraps on them, but it's a big step up to NRL level and props take longer to mature into quality players. Hopefully they live up to their potential, but many haven't.

Yes definitively weaker in the front row. No Kite, Rose, Smoking Joe, Gower... In the backs we'll be stronger depth wise.

Is King a example of a negative positive???

or maybe he is a positive negative.??

Manly improves each year as their feedback loop is dynamic and acted on by 2v and the Recruiters.

Last GF should have highlighted to Donny and 2v the physical limitations of our wonderful Players.:angel:
Everything must be done to ensure that in 2014, and beyond, that crucial off week a Team earns by winning the first semi final is secured.

Both preceding years, the mental toll of pushing their battered bodies around in the finals, told on Manly and they shattered during their last game.:(

Hoping that Georgallis has an improved bench rotation strategy and we should be having a great 2014 season :)

Hope that the ASADA chaos is sorted way before February, so that all 16 Clubs can focus on playing great footy :exclamation:

I think the evolution of the team started maybe a year too late. I see horo and symonds as recruits but not necessarily part of the evolution of replacing older statesman. They are both fantastic but possibly bought for more depth to existing and a wait and see approach rather than refreshing the team

I feel our new emerging pack will probably start to dominate about the times we lose lyon, and snake. While we have some really great prospects at the club its hard to replace those 2. They really are rare players. Glen and choc about the same time.

tooves inherited back end deals and a signed up roster so his hands were tied to some extent. I really like the approach the club has taken. It looks really impressive

But to answer the question, i think 2014 will be a good year but we may not press for the title like we did in 2013. Hope im wrong. I just dont think this squad can fill the experience gap as readily if king and snake go down for extended periods

the one massive improvement we do have is i see tooves as a much better coach than Des. In a short time he has shown a great deal , brings a calmness to the fold, has changed our style and his desire to blood players and take the odd chance gives us an edge, And the players look to be enjoying the game and not just the results

2014 is better on paper than this year.

How the old heads go is another matter; you can't stay up forever.

Yep I saw enough from Trbo to agree that he will be a revelation. Kite's solidity in the ruck will hopefully be emulated by one of the new blokes. I think we can step it up this year with variations, especially ramping up the moves with our mobile back rowers -
and how we use our bench. Is the middle the best place for Choc? He makes many tough metres each game, but maybe to the detriment of his running game in attack.

Maybe the next coaching quantum leap is to reinvent the use of backrowers (revisit and tweak the kosef, beaver, gartner days) - we have choc, glenn, horo, symonds, possible chee kam, buhrer - how can Kieran activate them better on his side?

YES. I think we'll be better, the crowds will be bigger, the fans will be louder and the grand final result will be different because it will be refereed fairly.

Oh I like the reinvention suggestion cord you've struck Shoe1.

I totally agree with your back row of yesteryear idea. I'd like to throw another piece into the mix to create that picture.

Have Daly and Foz swap sides. My logic is Daly is more attacking than Foz. Perhaps I explain that by saying Foz attacks better runs straight tough lines. With Killer and Gift on the left going side ways setting things up,Daly sometimes ****s me by not running straight. Perhaps i should say I wondering if Foz wouldn't complement them better.

On the left its the opposite. horo and mati running straight at holes and Foz doesnt go exploring sideways as much as Dce.

OK I am picturing God out on the left hand side going side ways dummying dummying before giving the ball to a straight running Beaver.

It was interesting to see DCE at the World Cup play 5/8. He killed em. Now who better then Clifford to come and help with that transition?

I like that idea of swapping foz and cherry. Maybe not every play, but get them to mix it up. I agree that the right attack would benefit from kieran's direct approach, especially when Glenn is in a mood to drift.

Mals said:
Chip and Chase said:

Yes definitively weaker in the front row. No Kite, Rose, Smoking Joe, Gower... In the backs we'll be stronger depth wise.

The loss of Gower offsets the loss of Kite, Rose and Joe.

niccipops said:
bob dylan said:
Is King a example of a negative positive???

or maybe he is a positive negative.??
Lately he's been a neutron:p

COMMANDER said:
you can't stay up forever.
You can with a prescription.

That's filthy :)

Thing was I saw commanders post and was going to post the same sort of thing lol

To get a bit of a gauge on future quality at Manly, I came up with my best side for players 25 years of age or under in 2014. This is it:

1. P. Hiku
2. J. Taufua
3. C. Gutherson
4. C. Blair
5. D. Berryman
6. K. Foran (c)
7. DCE
8. L. Sao
9. J. Hodges
10. J. Starling
11. J. Hasson
12. J. Buhrer