Is this Buhrers Best??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
After bursting into the top grade a few seasons ago his progress has halted.
He showed glimpses of brilliance early, particularly his angles hole running that seems to have faded & games like the final VS Cows in 2011 where he caused havoc & threw a corker of a 20m pass at full stride afer splitting them up the middle.
Not here to bag him as I think his form is better than some posts on here, but I do believe he is not living up to the early potential & is just an honest lightweight worker where he seemed to have more to offer than that....
Does he need more size??
Is it confidence??
Should he be coming on at dummy half rather than backrow??

Yes, No, Not for his game but maybe for Matty's. I also think he is better than some posts on here.

If he puts on 4-5kg of muscle the next two off season he will be like a Gifty of old.

Yeah that offload for the Horro try was just horrible :p

His off season knee injury has hampered his speed this year. Will need to wait and see how he performs next year to provide judgement on him

Last week was the best Buhrer has gone for a while.

His best would be playing 80m but he can't do that for us at the moment. When he was running lines off Foran at the start of the last season he looked awesome but we can't get him into the game that way at the moment

I think the staff need to make a decision on where his future position lies. If he's going to be a backrower, he needs to bulk up, if he's a hooker, he needs to be used as such. At the moment, he's playing back row at a hookers weight, and it's just not working.

I've think he has real ability either way. For this year, given his weight, I'd like to see him used for the last 10 min of each half as a hooker. As good as Matty is, using Ferris out of dummy half when forwards a knocking up could be very dangerous.

In saying that, as manlyfan said, a few extra kgs in the off-season and I could definitely see him developing into a Gifty style back rower.

Small back rowers like Ferris always take time to reach their potential. Look at Gift who spent a long time in reggies and struggled in 1st grade before he came good.

A problem arose for Buhrer when we recruited Symonds instead of another prop to fill the side.

At his current weight Buhrer is very capable at being an impact dummy half or second rower. I'd prefer to let Buhrer put on weight naturally (it will happen within 2 seasons) and utilise his talents at this stage.

I actually think he was selected for SOO prematurely and that set him back a bit (NSW has a track record of doing that).

He will get back there but he I think it is fair to say he probably isn't at the level now where we would have expected him to be a few years ago.

MadMarcus said:
I actually think he was selected for SOO prematurely and that set him back a bit (NSW has a track record of doing that).

I agree with this point, I think it knocks your confidence a bit especially playing one game and then being dropped. I think he is still very good and that pass to Horo for the Try last Friday was something that has been lacking in our attack most of this season. He is still a talent and no doubt given proper game time in the right position he will realise that potential.

SeaEagle21 said:
MadMarcus said:

I agree with this point, I think it knocks your confidence a bit especially playing one game and then being dropped. I think he is still very good and that pass to Horo for the Try last Friday was something that has been lacking in our attack most of this season. He is still a talent and no doubt given proper game time in the right position he will realise that potential.

Think his best position will be hooker. Take over from Matty B. gradually. Multipurpose bench player until Ballin retires.
What's the contract situ with Ballin ?

g,day all,despite his perceived shortcomings he still runs onto the ball and hits the line harder than a couple of our other more prominent forwards who have surrender tackles called on them far to often for my liking.
cheers mike

This is strictly a rumour, but will throw it up anyway

The Eels are extremely keen to get Buhrer over there, are prepared to offer a starting role and wages that will dwarf his Manly contract. Apparently he is best mates with Lussick as well so will be interesting to see if anything pans out. Eels are also said to be sniffing around Ferguson if Canberra flick him

EagleFromMay1967 said:
SeaEagle21 said:
MadMarcus said:

Think his best position will be hooker. Take over from Matty B. gradually. Multipurpose bench player until Ballin retires.
What's the contract situ with Ballin ?

Think M.Ballin re-signed sometime last year? Can't recall the extension period though

Kiwi Eagle said:
This is strictly a rumour, but will throw it up anyway

The Eels are extremely keen to get Buhrer over there, are prepared to offer a starting role and wages that will dwarf his Manly contract. Apparently he is best mates with Lussick as well so will be interesting to see if anything pans out. Eels are also said to be sniffing around Ferguson if Canberra flick him

The eels will be sniffing around everyone with the clean out they are having. Buhrer would make sense, Sticky picked him for NSW last year so must think highly of him.

He has been playing good and really well against the Warriors. I think Tooves has been struggling with our bench for a few weeks.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2