Is this the mentally toughest side in rugby league’s 106-year history?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Class of 96

Bencher
"As they so often do, Manly somehow overcame a week of high adversity to record a courageous win in Auckland.

The Sea Eagles though somehow pushed through the drama to record a gutsy 22-12 win.

Victory pushes Manly four points clear at the top of the NRL competition table after their nearest rivals faltered, amazingly leaving the club in crisis poised to claim rugby league’s minor premiership.

Player unrest seems to evaporate when Manly walk on to a football field. They are a remarkably resilient, patient and focused footy team."

Pretty hard to argue with the sentiments in this article.

The comparison with the '78 side in terms of mental toughness is a beauty and on the money, as I have been fortunate to see both teams.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-star-daly-cherryevans-dents-new-zealand-warriors-nrl-finals-hopes/story-fndujljl-1227003292388

I must say I'm in shock. Mention of our 1978 premiership and not a word about a 7th tackle.

Another shock. Shaun Johnson was only mentioned once telling that he was a late withdrawal. Not one word that his absence was the reason for their loss.

Chip and Chase said:
These modern day prima donnas have a way to go to ever get close to what the '78 side achieved.

A bit strong with the comparison to prima donnas but do agree with the sentiment. That effort of that '78 team is hard to fathom. These days you can often tell that a team is a bit flat the next week if they played in golden point the round before so for them to go through 6 games in 24 days is an unbelievable show of mental toughness.

Yeah as proud as you could be about the group this year (amidst whatever is or isn't happening) they would have to do something extraordinary to equal or exceed '78, in my view too.

In fact the game's changed permanently so much, I don't think it's even possible.

Still rapt with em right now though.

They certainly showed mental toughness in defence today; it looked like they really wanted to win the match!

The '78 Manly side was - without doubt - the single most phenomenal display of courage, guts and sheer will to win I have ever seen. They simply would not lose that competition. The momentum just built and built, and by the end I don't think any team on Earth could have stopped them. I have NEVER, in over 40 years of supporting this team, been more proud to be a Sea Eagles supporter... :)

Class of 96 said:
Yup, it was an unusually decent and factual article.

By Dean Ritchie too. I won't expect to see anything like that from Rothfield.

Class of 96 said:
"As they so often do, Manly somehow overcame a week of high adversity to record a courageous win in Auckland.

The Sea Eagles though somehow pushed through the drama to record a gutsy 22-12 win.

Victory pushes Manly four points clear at the top of the NRL competition table after their nearest rivals faltered, amazingly leaving the club in crisis poised to claim rugby league’s minor premiership.

Player unrest seems to evaporate when Manly walk on to a football field. They are a remarkably resilient, patient and focused footy team."

Pretty hard to argue with the sentiments in this article.

The comparison with the '78 side in terms of mental toughness is a beauty and on the money, as I have been fortunate to see both teams.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-star-daly-cherryevans-dents-new-zealand-warriors-nrl-finals-hopes/story-fndujljl-1227003292388

Lol! Media's lame attempt to reinforce their original beat up is to say the win was one of the greatest ever. What baloney. It was a good away win that will by next year be a struggle to remember.

The 1978 team thrived on adversity and negative headlines.When I watched the Fibros v Silvertails documentary it reminded me of what Manly endured to win that comp.

This current team is a close to the toughness of that team. We have a special group and I just hope the so called want away players realise what they are going to lose!

The 1978 Finals string of games is beyond human endurance - yet Manly did endure and in fact triumph :exclamation:

It should highlight to the current Manly side, that the Manly Culture is a constant, they can choose to either uphold it, or to move on :sleepy:

The modern day NRL Teams still lag behind the Manly resolve as a whole.

A large component of the history of excellence are we, the Manly Supporters. We are the first to demand the results and would always flick the non-performing Players, no sentimentality on the Peninsular ;)

Its good to see that the 2014 Manly Players are honouring our tradition of playing to win :angel:

I think the positive articles were queued, as the Journos realize the inevitability of Manly's success :D

It will be interesting to watch what attack the Sharks will come under once the ASADA findings are released. There is word that 3 former Players are already suing that Club.
Seems that drugging up young men, is not as newsworthy as gossiping about who likes whom at Manly :huh:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6