It is time for the Cronulla Sharks to leave the Shire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
It is time for the Cronulla Sharks to leave the Shire

IT IS no coincidence that ASADA officials chose the Cronulla Sharks as their first port of call in their mission to uncover dope cheats in rugby league.

The events that have unfolded in the Sutherland Shire since ASADA swooped late last week underline, in dramatic terms, what happens when a professional sporting organisation lacks any semblance of leadership or governance.

The Cronulla Sharks are a basket case. They have been stony broke for several seasons, without a chief executive for three years and, until this week, had a chairman who liked to tell everyone the club did not need anyone else in charge except him.

When a football landed on Damian Irvine's desk several years ago, he could not believe his luck. Here was a hotel concierge, a fan, who now had the keys to the dressing room of his favourite footy team.

He happily spent many hours doing radio and television interviews, telling all and sundry that it was his view that there was nobody out there who was suitable to be the club's chief executive.

In the meantime, Rome, or the Sharks, burned. Sponsors fled in their droves, crowd numbers were not increasing and today the club appears to be on its knees.

The footy team held up its end of the bargain, though, under new coach Shane Flanagan. The team started winning and the Shire had a team of which it could be proud. Maybe, just maybe, Flanagan, Paul Gallen and co could lead the Sharks to their first premiership. All of this has gone pear shaped this week. The coach has been dumped, along with other key coaching personnel. The board deemed it necessary to wield the axe.

Irvine quit after telling our own Phil Rothfield that the players had injected horse steroids. What appears to be a complete lack of loyalty to his own club was gobsmacking.

All of this led to an emotional outpouring from the club's fans at their first home game on Sunday night. The Shire loves its footy team but not enough to save it.

Under the guidance of the NRL (who stunningly did not intervene earlier), the Cronulla footy club must be relocated.

While David Gallop continually refuted expansion talk, the Sharks managed to sneak under the radar with static home crowds, little big business backing and moderate television ratings.

There is now a stench about the Sharks that can only be fixed if they pack up the truck and head out of the Shire.

Attracting 15,000 fans to a home game is not justification to remain in Cronulla. There is absolutely no reason why a move needs to alienate the current fan base.

If it is done properly, the Sharks can keep existing fans and head north to create a massive fan base in Australia's fastest growing rugby league region; or head west to Perth to explore a new frontier.

When the South Melbourne Swans relocated to Sydney

30 years ago, the VFL was fanatical in its insistence that the South Melbourne "Bloods" tradition remained. A quick look at the back of any Swans guernsey reveals the proud SMFC logo. While South Melbourne would have withered on the vine if it had stayed put, the transformation to the Sydney Swans built a new AFL market, attracted big business and turned the AFL into a genuinely national competition. It also made a losing team a winning one. The South Melbourne fans stayed.

The Sharks now have no choice but to follow suit. The disarray was laid bare this week in horrendous fashion.

The decision will be heart-wrenching and difficult. Those fans who assemble in the Shire's many famous pubs every weekend and reminisce about grand final losses will be livid at the thought of it.

As tough as it will be, however, it must happen. Let's face it: the Sharks in Cronulla will never be a juggernaut like the Brisbane Broncos or even the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The Sharks have an empty trophy cabinet, a clueless board and no money.

The NRL has installed some of its own stalwarts as a Band-Aid fix. With any luck, former Broncos boss, Bruno Cullen will open the books and go pale when he sees the red ink. If anyone can advise the Sharks on how to start a new club, Cullen is the man.

Something has to give. This week has uncovered the brittle nature of the Sharks' existence in recent years. The one thing they have left is a recognisable brand which might be enough to start afresh and, maybe, just maybe, win their first comp.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl/rebecca-wilson-says-it-is-time-for-the-cronulla-sharks-to-leave-the-shire/story-fndv2kok-1226598496568

Rebecca Wilson
The Daily Telegraph
March 16, 2013 12:00AM

Sad pathetic article about a sad pathetic club by a sad pathetic "journo".

But I must admit this part made me laugh:

The decision will be heart-wrenching and difficult. Those fans who assemble in the Shire's many famous pubs every weekend and reminisce about grand final losses will be livid at the thought of it.

It's time for the Cronulla Sharks to leave the planet....and they can shanghai all the DT rugby league journalists before they blast off. They should'nt have any trouble finding something to drug them with...Peptide 1, the first rocket to the sun!

Terry-Randal said:
The sharks own their own stadium I heard.I think they are safer than most local clubs
Owning your own stadium means nothing,sure you don't pay the rent like other clubs, but you have massive ongoing costs, eg maintenance of the ground, council rates, water rates,security, insurance etc etc.
Also, it's very hard to sell a stadium if and when you need the money, and apart from renting it out to someone else, it has little worth apart from any redevelopement.
Stadium Australia is a good example of this, cost a hell of a lot more to build than it's actual worth now

There's a Telegraph reporter copping a hammering on twitter this morning. Sharks side of town not happy. He's firing back a bit too. It's not Wilson either. Even a few fans of Snake jumping into it.
https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=josh+massoud&src=typd

No club deserves this kind of ****. I hate them and their scum fans but i'll stand by any club when the talks of viability and relocation rear their ugly heads.
Leave clubs alone. We are what we are because of history. Cronulla, hate them or loathe them, are part of Manly's history. We kept the pricks afloat in the 80's, they don't thank us for it but we can always hold it over their heads. You can't take that away from us. They're our bitches.

History is all well and good. But at some point in the future its going to become an us or them thing as to who relocates. The good thing about history is that it's always there.

MWSE said:
History is all well and good. But at some point in the future its going to become an us or them thing as to who relocates. The good thing about history is that it's always there.

Well it can't be us. We are the only team on the North side. I know people are stupid but surely if they look to get rid of us, someone at some point will click that it can't happen.
No team should ever have to go. The loss of a football team is something that nobody should have to live through. It may be a first world problem, but it's a big one.

I couldn't care less if sharks folded. They sold out to super league so they have given up any rights to support from me. Our great club was forced into a merger because of super league and selfish clubs such as the Sharks. For that I couldn't care less if they shut the door on them tomorrow.

Chip and Chase said:
I couldn't care less if sharks folded. They sold out to super league so they have given up any rights to support from me. Our great club was forced into a merger because of super league and selfish clubs such as the Sharks. For that I couldn't care less if they shut the door on them tomorrow.
I agree with you , stuff those super leauge traitor sharks . We didnt merge with those misserable bears it was bloody take over :D

I like the comparison to souths....how long ago was it they were broke?

Also when the land deal goes through the sharks will be fine financially

No, it's not time for them to leave. I love The Sharks being in the competition. They are going to self sustain soon, so leave them be.

I have no problems with Cronulla. They obviously sold out to Super League because they are always cash-strapped, but are battlers who now have a solid football team. If they go then it means the Steelers will have a massive area and access to a huge talent pool.
No, leave Cronulla to keep the Steelers weak.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6