It's 2008 All Over Again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
In 2008 the scum were the reigning premiers (Cheats) and all I heard all season was "They are so good, who is gonna beat them?" and we know how that ended.

All I've heard for the past few weeks is the same statement about St Merge. Maybe not by us, but history has a nasty habit of repeating itself.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but it is feeling a lot like 2008! The thing is we are playing so well yet we still have so much improvement in us. Can that be said for the 3 teams above us? We should be strong around origin period as well as it looks like only G. Stewart and King will be picked.

The feeling is different for me. I was a lot more apprehensive in 2008, knowing we had a good side and hoping they could go the extra step. We were a bit inconsistent but when we were on we destroyed a few teams but it wasn't really til the first final against the Dragons where we really went up a gear. It wasn't just the 40-0 GF but the 38-6 win over the Dragons and the 32-6 win over the Warriors must rank us very highly in the most dominant team in a finals series in the history of Rugby League.

This year its just so much more fun seeing this team grow and seeing their huge potential.

TBH I was more referring to the "Who is gonna beat them" carry on.

This Manly team feels to me like 2006, a very good team, but still a work in progress.

Yeh you could be write with the 2006 team. Maybey a top 4, top 5 finish , but no premiership. A team building for success in the near future.

Feels to me more like the early 90's.

Won a Title a few years ago (87)

Have a HEAP of young guns all busting there arse and getting better every week.

Some old heads with plenty of experience and a Title under there belt

Some great wins and a few heartbreaking losses

A great coach and Team spirit

All setting up for what could be a few years of Semi and Grand Final apperences

I reckon 2007. In 2006 we had BK etc and were never a genuine contender, we were just happy to be competitive. We surprised a lot of people to finish 2nd in 2007, but weren't quite the finished article required to win a premiership.

Mybludog said:
Feels to me more like the early 90's.

Won a Title a few years ago (87)

Have a HEAP of young guns all busting there arse and getting better every week.

Some old heads with plenty of experience and a Title under there belt

Some great wins and a few heartbreaking losses

A great coach and Team spirit

All setting up for what could be a few years of Semi and Grand Final apperences

I don't reckon. In the early 90s we tried to buy a side, and should have won something but weren't really a contender until Bozo came back to take over.

2006 for me the start of something great

Remember (and I have said this before on here) Crusher said to me in 2009......will happen in 2013, 5 years away.

2011 will be great.

2012 fantastic

But but 2013 could be our year!!

Anything before that will be a bonus.

Lyon_Roars said:
I don't want to get ahead of myself but it is feeling a lot like 2008! The thing is we are playing so well yet we still have so much improvement in us. Can that be said for the 3 teams above us? We should be strong around origin period as well as it looks like only G. Stewart and King will be picked.

If you look closely the boys have two byes before two SOOs and in the other game we play the Cowboys at home the week before... and they will be without Thurston for that game :^)

Love to think 2011 could be a premiership year BUT lets not get ahead of ourseleves......let's raise this topic again about the 15th of September

Im feeling a 1970s type era of dominance coming on
Ive felt it since 2008,2009 should have been back to back but 2010 we had a transitional halfback with little imagination and skill,his signing to the bulldogs has been the best for both parties as i think Keating does the imaginative work and Hodko is another man in defense with some bullet passing abilities,now back to manly

We have these 2 blokes running the team that should be to young to do what they are doing so well,Foran at the moment is the dominant half and he should be,a season and a half more experience of top flight nrl does that to a bloke,i think we are on the outskirts of a golden age

I'll wait to see how we go against the dragons & broncos before getting too excited. The other benchmark Melbourne already beat us.

Hopfully a top 4 finish.

:)

Jerry1 said:
I'll wait to see how we go against the dragons & broncos before getting too excited. The other benchmark Melbourne already beat us.

Hopfully a top 4 finish.

:)

Exactly right, the Dogs were looking the goods too until they played some of the top three teams. If we beat the Broncos and Stgeorge then we really will be premiership contenders. To be honest i wont mind if we don't beat them as this is really a building year for us with our young halves.

I don't think we have to beat them. Just show enough that we could beat them. I remember losing that game to the Storm in 08. I think alot of us felt the same after that game, but for some strange reason I think we all thought we knew that we'd get them if we got another crack.

Masked Eagle said:
I don't think we have to beat them. Just show enough that we could beat them. I remember losing that game to the Storm in 08. I think alot of us felt the same after that game, but for some strange reason I think we all thought we knew that we'd get them if we got another crack.

Fair enough but Stgeorge and the Broncos defense is insane this year so you really need to be on your game to beat them at full strength.

Dark forces behind the scenes have plotted our downfall for over 15 years and they nearly got it.Out of any club we were the ones who paid dearly for us being at the forefront in the war along with the Roosters.Fulton and Gould where in the front line.I cant tell you how good it feels to follow Manly and to see them thriving again.Now that takes something special.**** you Gallop.Die ****.

This year does not really remind me of any other year just yet, though I'm sure there are some years I've forgotten...

For so many years we had a team stacked with big names and great expectations.

I can't think of another season where we have been so poorly rated before kick-off but then have performed admirably with a bunch of young guns leading the way.

It is a very happy position for us fans, we know the guys are going to put in each week and we know our team is on the rise, no matter how far we get this year. Sky's the limit! Compare with how depressed all the Parra, Roosters and Souths fans must be feeling. Ahh, life is good right now :)

I know I've been enjoying the footy more this year and have'nt been getting so pissed off (except after the cowboys game). Even the missus has noticed this and she does'nt follow the game.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2