its all in the mind

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It appears reasonably accepted as common knowledge that the game at the highest level is largely mental.

I was interested to read about Jamie Lyon's thoughts about not wanting to play Origin. He refers to the critcism he received and how it affected his confidence.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/manly-sea-eagles-star-jamie-lyon-reveals-why-he-said-no-to-a-state-of-origin-return-for-nsw/story-fn31yxah-1226378817668

He doesn't say exactly whose criticism in particular hurt him. But it makes me wonder about the effect in general of fans bagging players.

Which as we know is all part of the fun of being a fan. However, when we occasionally hammer our own players, especially the young ones still developing their game, we cmight do well to remember they are only human, and have feelings like anybody else.

I saw the title of the thread and I thought Bryan Ferry was now posting to this site.

But you're right. That stuff about Jamie was common knowledge at the time. Ironic, but somehow inevitable, that the paper that pushes for his inclusion in the SOO, regularly leads the charge to denigrate him (when he's in the side) when NSW inevitably fail.

I always thought it was because he wanted to stay home with his family. Its interesting to me because you'd never think of him lacking confidence, he really is one of the best players I've seen from watching the game for many years.

Of course players need to be mentally tough to succeed, but there are always some comments that are a bit over the top. Cam said recently that Big George told him he'd been hurt by some fan comments. Bottom line is its probably in our interests to encourage our players rather than humiliate them. We can save that for when they leave to join other teams ... :)

Then it's agreed. No more criticisms of our players. Only positive comments and lots of hugs and warm milk before bedtime. Everyone gets a trophy at the end and there are no losers much like the molly coddling ways of school and sports for young kids these days.
The greatest learning in life is to go through adversity, disappointment,failure and criticism. You come through those it then teaches you how to succeed.

I love Jamie to death but I can't help feeling that his reaction to criticism in this way is a real weakness and character flaw.

I'm not a young bloke and I've learnt over the years that you will cop criticism for various reasons, justified and unjustified. You really need to be able to rise above the rubbish and take note of the constructive stuff.

Still. I'm happy he's with us and not against us. Warts and all.

The news article sounds dodgy to me.:dodgy:

Lyon is a laid back Country boy.

He made it big in the big smoke of the UK and came back to the toxic Parra Fan tirade against him- so what?

He found solace in the quiet Northern Beaches and has a more balanced work/home life :angel:

Sounds like he offered an angle that the Journo bought, so that people would stop harrassing him to play representative footy.:cool:

We are truly blessed at his composure and have hime to thank for pulling the Team up for yet another dour win :angel:

There are many grudges, agendas and what not in rugby League. What I like about Jamie's stance is he has stated he will only fight his own fights and not be involved in all the other crap

Jamie was attacked because he signed with Manly and old grudges surfaced that he was promised a aussie start if he did so. he has indeed proved them all wrong but mud sticks. So when he got a chance he opted out of the game

He has an amazing refreshing attitude of a sportsman and probably is one of very few that could be role models, however i am sure he would never want that.He lives life first, and footy is down the rung

Jamie is his own man.

Plenty prescibe what he should do, what he should not do, who he should be, who he should not be.

They judge him as weak and flawed when he fails to meet their image and their demands.

And amidst all the loud heckles and demands of him, Jamie demands nothing of his critics, and simply and quietly chooses his own different path.

That is strength, courage, integrity.

My little brothers jr footy team was chosen to go to the GF breakfast back in 08. I asked him if he spoke to the players he said Lyon in particular took alot of time to talk to the kids and sign stuff.

Legend on and off the field.

globaleagle said:
Daniel said:
Isn't it 20% physical and 90% mental?

4/3rds of all people can't do math.
If I had to sum up my math skills in 3 words it would be
"I suck at maths"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8