Jamie Lyon v Justin Hodges (who is the greatest?)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Ok, Jamie is.....definitely. But on the telegraph website they are doing a poll on this, Jamie leads. I think we should get on there and vote (I have).

So for arguments sake, how does he compare? To me (Inglis excluded) Hodges is the only centre in the last 15 years that can compare to Killer.

Pros for Killer, has a kicking game, superior passing game, try assists for wingers is sensational. Defensively the best centre in the league (even other teams supporters concede this).

Pros for Hodges. Better dummy half runner, and I'd say he's stronger. Representatively he leads, more due to default, but oh well.

Personally I think Killer is easily the best centre of the NRL era. But yeah....slightly biased!

Correct..Jamie Lyon is as gifted footballer you will ever see and Matai is the toughest..

Hodges is good but Lyon and Matai are just better..

Both are great centres, but I can't make a non bias decision as he is our captain, so to me he is the best player in the world.

One has pure class the other has good mongrel.

Hodges had about 2 years at the roosters where he was very good / elite centre who could do and did just about anything. Since returning to brisbane though he simply ran from dummy half and spent most of his time hobbling on one leg. Now putting that in the same class as Killer is.........shame on you daily telegraph.

Without disrespect to his team mates, Jamie Lyon almost single handedly won a group 4 premiership for the Wee Waa Panthers.
Beat that Hodges!!!

Hodges ability to run from dummy half and still make big metres when everyone knew he was going to do it was pretty amazing. He also had that rare competiveness and desire to win that could raise a team. Albeit to the teams detriment sometimes...

Jamie having no desire to play rep footy will always hurt him in most peoples opinions.

Such a rare talent though!

I would definitely put Killer in front of Hodges as he is a more complete player, but I wouldn't say Lyon is the best defensive centre in the game. In fact I think it is one of his lesser strengths. He is certainly not a poor defender by any stretch but he can be guilty of some questionable reads. I think Hodges was a better defender and obviously the dummy half running, but that's about it.

One thing that will always stand out for me was the match against Penrith in 2014...we were down and out and Lyon had a shocker (gifting two tries to the Panthers). Then we started to make some headway and get back into the match, it still looked like the siren would beat us. Then Foran put up a nothing kick (a hail mary bomb) and up jumps captain courageous leaping into the air to take the ball and pass in one motion to lay on the final match winning try. That's the character of the man; always competing to the death regardless of the circumstances. Even at his worst (which he was that day), he was a match winner. The peak period of 2010-2012 he was the best player in the game and it all came down to his competitiveness...he did all the 1%ers better than any other player.

Last edited:
Such a reputable source as well so no matter what the outcome is. It just has to be fair and true.. I'm a belieber

Hodges is more of a grub than cameron smith & enis put together.Jamies a better reader of the game has a better workload & can kick.Theres no comparison.

best thing i saw was casey maguire dropping hodges out cold one clip on his glass jaw, i dont like hodges, i like killer.

I would definitely put Killer in front of Hodges as he is a more complete player, but I wouldn't say Lyon is the best defensive centre in the game. In fact I think it is one of his lesser strengths. He is certainly not a poor defender by any stretch but he can be guilty of some questionable reads. I think Hodges was a better defender and obviously the dummy half running, but that's about it.

One thing that will always stand out for me was the match against Penrith in 2014...we were down and out and Lyon had a shocker (gifting two tries to the Panthers). Then we started to make some headway and get back into the match, it still looked like the siren would beat us. Then Foran put up a nothing kick (a hail mary bomb) and up jumps captain courageous leaping into the air to take the ball and pass in one motion to lay on the final match winning try. That's the character of the man; always competing to the death regardless of the circumstances. Even at his worst (which he was that day), he was a match winner. The peak period of 2010-2012 he was the best player in the game and it all came down to his competitiveness...he did all the 1%ers better than any other player.
I always quote that game against the panthers to my son showing him what a winner is and why Jamie is a legend. Almost any other player that day would have said to himself 'its not my day, please don't let the ball come to me'. That just isn't Jamie, he kept trying, kept putting in. And ultimately he ended up win the game. To me that puts killer in a very elite class. This reminded me of players like BK and Joey Johns. I've seen games from those two where things weren't going great, but they never hid and tried to make amends.

When hodges can.......
Kick goals to win games
Grubber up the 2 metre short side to gain 30 metres
Chip over for a winger try
Chip inside for a fullback try
Bomb for a follow through and leap to score himself
Constantly get on the outside of his opposition
Slip miracle flick passes to set up wingers
Tackle ball and all and stop rampaging forwards on his own try line
Inspire team mates and fans like no other
Be respected by all in the game ... Then the answer is a no brainer

PS

Hodges may have given held a chance but he never wore our jumper and I am glad to say he never will

A grub of the highest ranking

GO MANLY

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7