Jayden Hodges

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Just wanting to gauge everyone's thoughts on Hodges

He seems to be a fan favourite around here with plenty raving about him and 1 or 2 even thinking he should be a starter

This seems to be based on the fact he has "spark" and does a few good darts from dummy half

It reminds me of twelve months back when many were huge fans of Chesye Blair because he was a 6 foot 100kg winger

Now this is not a thread to bag him as i personally think he has plenty of promise but for mine he is still very much a work in progress. We seem to lose shape a little when he is on and he often goes it himself when our halves have set the play up.

I'm keen to see him continue his apprenticeship under Ballin and develop his football smarts and patience but if McInnes was available and keen to come, i would swoop as i see him as a much more rounded player

In a pinch I'd play him at hooker with Ballin at Lock. The lock is another 5/8 anyway picking the ball up from the back of the scrum and passing it on.

I happen to like the way he plays as well.

I love the way he plays, whilst he is a WIP, he has all the skills. At present he tends to chip kick too much. But that will settle down once he learns patience .

Currently Manly are getting bogged down due to stressing about winning on every play. So Hodge's happy disposition , like Wolfie used to be, changes the energy on the field for the better :)

If McInnis is the Bronco guy, then he extended with them recently

Agree that Matty would be a great lock and Ferris can be a RHS second rower in Gifty's ilk

He definitely has a lot of promise and is worth sticking with. Much more energy than Ballin, his up tempo style is a breath of fresh air.

should be on the bench, not only does it give us some other options but it also doubles the coaching requirements against us. Add to that Matty will last an extra year or 2 if he plays only 50 - 60 minutes a game and will also play with more energy

Sadly, most of our current forwards can't make more than 100 metres per game...so we can't afford to have hodges on the bench. Hopefully next year we wont have that problem and Hodges can get some solid game time.

I'm a massive fan of Hodges. He adds heaps to our attack when he comes on. He seems to give the team a boost of enthusiasm and he'll have a go ant anything.

After watching Hodges destroy Parra in the 2nd half of a trial match before the 2014 season, I have been perplexed, disappointed and finally downright bloody upset that he hasn't been given a longer opportunity in first grade to show his wares.

After watching a replay of last Fridays game, we looked almost lethargic until he came on & I can guarantee the best way of telling his value is the opposition.
Hodges actually has them guessing & because he gets to the advantage line so quickly, he takes away there decision making time which is a defenders nightmare.
Ballin is no spent force & plays a big part in helping work the forwards over pre the Hodges gig.
Considering the poor go forward apart from Jake, to show the glimpses of zest in attack under the circumstances, Hodges has been super,
The old excuse of our star halves suffering behind slow play the balls is very much true, yet Hodges still excels so some credit must be due.

He's quick out of dummy half and has the potential to be a very good player BUT he needs to learn when and when not to pinch metres and/or try's out of dummy half, learn to listen to his halves and follow their directions of play as halves are usually thinking and setting up the attack a couple of plays ahead! I've heard his team mates crack it at him cos he hasn't stuck to the set play and gone at it himself and completely stuffed it up! Oh and most of all learn not to be greedy! He doesn't need to be dummy half on every single play the ball nor run it on almost every single play the ball..... Change it and mix it up, and if you've watched enough NSW Cup games you'll notice that he is also predictable out of dummy half!

The modern day dummy half running is predictable in NSW Cup or NRL level due to the fact is the most advantagous point of attack to disect the opposition, but with the speed of the game its something hard to defend even though you know its coming - like the old Michael O'conner sidestep.
Have seen both halves get ample opportunity & make bad choices themselves in 2015, again due to lack of momentum through the middle.
Besides DCE in that Storm game, have seen Hodges look more dangerous than both of them in limited opportunity.
He may scoot a little too often, but is he trying so hard to impress because he really wants to have a dig unlike some others??
Has been 1 of a few to impress in 2015 so far, so deserves a spot in the 17.

Just a thought and I'm not saying he'll be as good but Segeyaro had to bide his time for a year or two and then started to impress from the bench. Surely he knew the score when he signed on - Ballin is the incumbent and a true professional to learn his trade from.
Currently ( in my opinion ) he thinks he's a halfback but playing back-up hooker and that's where he needs to improve.

I think we at least need him on the bench .Ballin to me would add a lot to the dragons where quick effective service would help. Not to mention would probably add to there defense.We have no more intimidation factor in our forwards and our backs are hurt so what Ballin provides just isn't enough anymore.

We need spark. 30 mins a game from Hodges surely would add something

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
He needs to play. Ballin isn't enough. The focal point for the defence is the first player to hit the ball from dummy half. This might have been okay with other points like gift or snake to create indecision but we need opposition to be on the back foot at the ruck or our players just can't penetrate. Robbie Farrah and Cam Smith started this about ten years ago - ball playing from dummy half. It only takes a step or a swerve or to hold the ball up to create enough indecision in the markers to take them out of play and give your forwards better penetration. Ballin is still the older style of crisp service massive motor type of hooker who can scoot from dummy half when markers are lazy. We need more though. Lest range worked well in 08. And I know people are saying our forwards aren't laying the platform so we can't risk a smaller bloke on the bench but our forwards might find more space and feel a bit fresher if they aren't picked off every time they run because the opposition knows they are gonna get it.

Said it before: he's a much better option than carrying another ineffective front rower. Doesn't matter who we're playing, he should be picked.

Top End Eagspotpost: 675284 said:
He needs to play. Ballin isn't enough. The focal point for the defence is the first player to hit the ball from dummy half. This might have been okay with other points like gift or snake to create indecision but we need opposition to be on the back foot at the ruck or our players just can't penetrate. Robbie Farrah and Cam Smith started this about ten years ago - ball playing from dummy half. It only takes a step or a swerve or to hold the ball up to create enough indecision in the markers to take them out of play and give your forwards better penetration. Ballin is still the older style of crisp service massive motor type of hooker who can scoot from dummy half when markers are lazy. We need more though. Lest range worked well in 08. And I know people are saying our forwards aren't laying the platform so we can't risk a smaller bloke on the bench but our forwards might find more space and feel a bit fresher if they aren't picked off every time they run because the opposition knows they are gonna get it.
I think you hit it spot on.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6