"jock sniffers".

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Rebecca Wilson
The Daily Telegraph
December 08, 2012 12:00AM

THE world of sports administration is full of what we in the media colloquially call "jock sniffers".

These are the types who earn their thrills by hanging around famous sportsmen - or, even better, becoming part of the sport itself by worming their way into head office or onto a board.

These (mostly) men invariably have pool rooms or private bars full of memorabilia (not theirs) and have no hesitation in sharing their always firmly held opinions on sporting performance with anyone who will listen.

Rugby league in its transition from suburban footy code played between blokes from warring working-class suburbs to a schmick professional business worth billions of dollars has found itself now managed by the "jock sniffers".

In recent months, the sport's administration has stumbled from one disaster to another.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant is obviously star-struck. He has snatched the role of league leadership with a mixture of naivety born out of a business background completely unrelated to anything sporting.

John Grant has an IT background. He likes to remind his critics that he also played the game many moons ago. Grant represented Queensland and Australia. This was an attractive adjunct for the headhunters who sighted his CV more than a year ago but it would seem now that his long-forgotten playing days have had absolutely no impact on his ability to sidestep trouble.

Rugby league is in turmoil and not the sort of turmoil former boss David Gallop was used to confronting. This is not about badly behaved footballers, salary cap breaches or errant chief executives.

Grant's troubles are entirely of his own making and even the club chairmen who greeted the new era with great enthusiasm are already questioning his ability to handle a crisis. They will meet next week to discuss their growing problems and, no matter what some sycophants may say, John Grant is front and centre of their discontent.

Insiders claim Grant, and only Grant, selected the new chief executive, David Smith. The Welsh-born rugby union man was unable to recognise Australian league captain Cameron Smith, but that will be the least of his worries when he takes the chair in the new year.

Smith, a career banker, decided he wanted a sea change from counting money. He became interested in, you guessed it, sports management. Grant made his passage to the chief executive's role a smooth one and the rest, is history.These two blokes use words like brand and business model with gay abandon.

You seldom hear Grant uttering anything about grass roots, tribal rivalries or sport. His shoot- from-the-hip response to the shoulder-charge issue was a classic case of an administrator with little understanding of his code or its constituents.

No doubt Smith will love standing alongside Grant on the podium in front of 80,000 footy fans, glad-handing and patting backs. The chairman appears to have taken to the trophy distribution role with great relish - as you would if you had ever attended a tedious annual IT awards night.

The problem for the NRL rookie Smith will be that he will be picking up a hell of a lot of pieces when he takes office.

Under Grant's reign, the salary cap issue is unresolved, a player revolt over a bigger share of the television rights cash is under way and players like superstar Israel Folau have no place in the sport.

The handling of the Folau controversy was woeful. The league can carry on all they like about Folau's greediness. The bottom line was that, with a bit of discretion, the world's best winger would not have been lost to the Waratahs.

Several prominent club chairmen believe very little has been done to set plans in concrete after the league's television payday. They also look askance at the new decision-making process, a form of paralysis caused by a commission giddy with power, unwilling to allow head office managers to do their jobs.

For the clubs, it has become a case of wishing too hard for what they wanted. They hoped for a brand new independent commission, rid of the old politics, rid of the back-biting.

In fact, what they are left with are the same old questions marks, missed opportunities and broad unhappiness.

This is not going away. Unless the club chairmen rein him in, and start questioning the commission's lack of direction, league's new regime will soon become the laughing stock of sport.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/men-out-of-their-league/story-e6frext9-1226532447650

ahhh the irony...
Reminds me of journos (and I use that term loosely) that "sniff" around forums looking for a story.

i left a comment

Your the Queen of "jock sniffers" Wilson
You made "jock sniffers" an Art form Wilson
you got to were you are being a "jock sniffer"

*I dont expect this to get Published " just as long as you show the Your the Queen of "jock sniffers" Wilson this comment

I can't believe how everyone in the media wanted folau to be allowed to join parra even though they were over their cap.

The NRL stood firm to point out that there is a salary cap in place and they have to abide by it. The fact that the idiot folau decided to leave the AFL at the end of the year was his own doing. He should've announced it mid year when teams had money in available in their cap.

I was disgusted to see at the end of the saga that the NRL supposedly struck a deal for him to go to parra.

How was this fair to all the other teams (OURS INCLUDED) who had to shed players to get under the cap?

One rule of one and not the others as usual!:mad:[/align]

(rebecca wilson is still the idiot i always thought she was!)

LOL. Ole bourbon becky is too stupid to see the irony in this. Every time I read anything written by her I think of that regurgitator song.

Anyway can someone just run through Kneejerk gallops rugby league playing career for me. The way she blows his trumpet makes me think he may have been one of the aforementioned stops on her journey.

Jesus i can't believe David Smith he has done nothing for the game at all it's like he hasn't even started his role as ceo of the NRL yet. He is invisible a myth nothing is being done!

Let's get this rolling everyday in the Daily trollograph!, got to love the off season *rolls eyes*

Chip and Chase said:
LOL. Ole bourbon becky is too stupid to see the irony in this. Every time I read anything written by her I think of that regurgitator song.

Anyway can someone just run through Kneejerk gallops rugby league playing career for me. The way she blows his trumpet makes me think he may have been one of the aforementioned stops on her journey.
I assume you aren't talking about "polyester girl"

Great stuff Berks , and yes to get where she is she's probably done a lot more than just sniffing jocks

Another character assassination attempt by the Queen of Sleeze. Willing to knock anyone down so long as her own sordid mistakes don't get an airing.

Her expertise is obviously higher than Phil Gould's. I am sure she is just providing a salvo against Phil's article of a few days ago in the Fairfax press.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/frustrated-clubs-want-a-change-of-pace-but-are-still-united-behind-commission--nrl-is-a-different-matter-20121205-2avlr.html

It starts with:
"The support from the 16 NRL clubs for chairman John Grant and his fellow commissioners is complete and unwavering. It's clear to see these people are setting up a solid foundation for the future of our great game.

Personally, I can also guarantee my 100 per cent support for Grant and our commissioners."

He goes on to make a fair assessment of the strengths and weaknesses and where clubs would like to see a 'hurry up'.

But thanks to Boubon we can now ignore the thoughts of the people who count.

Or here's an idea - just go slithering to the bottom of the murky pond you came from and where your own ugly secrets are stored. 'Queen of Jock Sniffers' is about right.

I wish she would crawl back under the rock she came out from, never to be heard of again. How she continues to hold her job is beyond me!!

RL Gronk said:
Chip and Chase said:

I assume you aren't talking about "polyester girl"

More like this one......

"i sucked a lot of c#^k to get where i am
i only want to be the best that i can"

I call foul !

I know for a fact that Jock Sniffers is a highly regarded cheese & wine maturation assessment officer in Wales.

Apparently John Grant having represented QLD and Australia doesn't just doesn't cut it for Becky.

Moron.

Ah yes but remember the issues with the Manly "Jock Sniffers" who ordered themselves premiership rings?????????

Chip and Chase said:

Blood and Spunk?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4