Joe Kelly: What is your opinion of him now?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Before the Raiders game, he stood up and made some pretty bold claims, and you know what, most of them have come to fruition and / or true:-

He stated:
1. We'd sign a International Quality half (done - DCE)
2. We'd sign a host of juniors (done - Gutherson, Trb1, Trb2, Demetriou & others)
3. We'd sign some marquee players (done - Brown, Lussick, Myles, Koroisou)

I wonder though, what peoples thought's on his value and contribution to the overall team / club has been? I think his request to have Fulton in on an advisory role was A-Class.

I have my opinions though, and they are as follows:-
+ Kelly seemed fine with losing both DCE / Foz, and was seeking alternatives. Did Bozo fix Kelly's mess?
+ Kelly bought in arguably our worst prop in Burgess in years, despite Toovey's protests.
+ Love him or no, Toovey was treated with little respect, and not in the way Kelly promised at that meeting
+ It appears a large majority of the fanbase have become disollusioned
+ Kelly signs players, only to tell them a few months later they aren't in our plans going forward (Ballin)
+ Corporate Sponsorship - under Mayer and others, it felt as though these trickled in, now nothing

Like I say, people are entitled to their own opinions, but I think he has added little value, and in fact, has actually damaged the goodwill (with his lack of communication & treatment of staff & with fans).

I hate that he has allowed guys like Zorba and others have a more dominant position and voice at the club. This has created silos and factions. This should have been addressed from the get go.

I hope Fulton is ruthless, and cuts all the bad apples away. I don't care if that bad apple is our best player - we need a unified, solid group, all moving in the same direction. This may be very unpopular here, but if Matai asks for a release one more time, grant it for the love of God.

If any player wants out: Now is the time to cut those boils and cancers away.

Honestly, I think a lot of Kelly's shortfalls have been luckily covered by Bozo and / or other people. I think it's time we brought in a peoples CEO. One that has an affinity with the fans and players. One that doesn't allow the players to be uncontactable after games.

Kelly has allowed a culture where at Tooves farewell drinks at the Harbord Hilton, only 5-6 players turned up. This should have been mandatory for every player, coach, and management group. A GOOD CEO would have ensured a little respect was shown.

What are your thought's guys?

Kelly is in the position of CEO, however everyone around him is calling the shots.

Hasn't done anything of note and as a consequence i don't think highly of him. Ever since the halves debacle he has gone MIA and with that any hope that he was suitable for the job.

Kelly brought in Luke Burgess but Tooves wanted Bryce Gibbs. JK wins that every day of the week.

Reserving judgment on the clean out until I see our top 17 for next year. At this point it's a push.

He is an employee CEO. The owners sign the cheques. So really it's hard to judge at this stage but I do doubt his passion and commitment to the Manly club. Let's see where we are in 12 months from now.

3. We'd sign some marquee players (done - Brown, Lussick, Myles, Koroisou)

I would call none of those signings "marquee". Maybe Myles at a stretch give he is a current SOO player, but he is no SBW / Burgess.

1. We'd sign a International Quality half (done - DCE)

For more than we could have signed him for with the offer that was on the table before Xmas which the club reneged on. DCE signs elsewhere, club soil their pants after losing Foran as well and throw the chequebook at DCE. Face saving, panic driven management, or cool, smart business 101 CEO skills ?? You be the judge.

The signing of the juniors is a definite plus though.

I think it's far too early to make any definitive calls on this whole Penn/Kelly mess.

It's pretty clear that the amount of toxic infighting happening at the club has caught up with our on-field performances, and I think for that reason Tooves' position as coach was simply untenable.

What isn't clear is whether this clean out is going to be what the doctor ordered, or whether the club won't recover until THIS current mob are cleaned out. I'm hoping that Barrett and his assistant coaches have the right stuff, and I'm quite optimistic about the makeup for next year's squad. But it is simply too early to tell. I think we need a few building years before we can really judge the success of this next generation, but this year's performances are all the proof you need that the current crop (for whom I am very grateful and who have been wildly successful over the last decade) are dwindling.

I do believe he visits the same barber as Donald Trump. Is that a positive?

Seriously though, I do think the team will perform next year, with the distractions of this year gone. What role Kelly plays there, well who knows? By Manly standards, it couldn't get much worse. If we have a couple of seasons coming up like 1990-91, after the terrible 1989 season, I will be happy. As I've stated previously, there are some sad similarities between 1989 and 2015 and they both started in the front office.

Work in progress , let's see the top 17 for game 1, and see how the new people go.

Can't blame him for too much a lot of stuff that's gone on when he's been there has been under the control of Mr Fluffy & ZtH.

Too soon for a pass or fail mark.

If you know what bozo if like Kelly has most likely been told to stay in his office and do nothing while bozo and family take total control of manly.

I don't know if it is really the right time to be passing judgement on management, although It all makes sense now in regards to Matt Ballin, Kelly knew the Tigers were going to get rid of Farrar, Manly sign him and there is your marquee player signing he promised...lol

Since when are Myles, Koroisau, Brown, Lussick and Parcell marquee signings?

* Myles is on his last legs as an Origin player and has never been the best NRL player.
* Koroisau should be our hooker for the next decade, but he is hardly a Scam Smith type (headline grabber, he's no grub like the Aussie test captain).
* Brown is a current Kiwi test back rower, but as a back rower he is no Sam Burgess or SBW.
* Lussick seems to have been signed more because Bozo is mates with Darcy's old man than anything else.

Then there is Tom Moltzen. He was ok in his early days at the Tigers, but now he is basically a NSW Cup level player and to me he is nothing more than a swap for JLJ.

To me a marquee signing would have been someone like Aaron Woods or a goal kicking half such as Gareth Widdop.

Signing local juniors in Gutho and the Trbojevic brothers was definitely a good thing. The problem I see, despite them being only young, is that other than Jake who has established himself as probably the NRL's best young front row forward, unless something changes in our backline Gutho and/or Turbo Tom are going to spend a fair bit of at least 2016 and maybe 2017 playing NSW Cup when both should be automatic selections for the NRL side.

Last edited:
Since when are Myles, Koroisau, Brown, Lussick and Parcell marquee signings?

* Myles is on his last legs as an Origin player and has never been the best NRL player.
* Koroisau should be our hooker for the next decade, but he is hardly a Scam Smith type (headline grabber, he's no grub like the Aussie test captain).
* Brown is a current Kiwi test back rower, but as a back rower he is no Sam Burgess or SBW.
* Lussick seems to have been signed more because Bozo is mates with Darcy's old man than anything else.

Then there is Tom Moltzen. He was ok in his early days at the Tigers, but now he is basically a NSW Cup level player and to me he is nothing more than a swap for JLJ.

To me a marquee signing would have been someone like Aaron Woods or a goal kicking half such as Gareth Widdop.

Signing local juniors in Gutho and the Trbojevic brothers was definitely a good thing. The problem I see, despite them being only young, is that other than Jake who has established himself as probably the NRL's best young front row forward, unless something changes in our backline Gutho and/or Turbo Tom are going to spend a fair bit of at least 2016 and maybe 2017 playing NSW Cup when both should be automatic selections for the NRL side.
Agree with most of this but I think the wing spots will be a 3 way race between Gutho, Tom, & Horhay. Lyon to 5/8 & Hiku to centre.

To be honest he hasn't been allowed to do much has he.... Overruled in most of what he wanted to do. **** of a job - who'd want it....................

Agree with most of this but I think the wing spots will be a 3 way race between Gutho, Tom, & Horhay. Lyon to 5/8 & Hiku to centre.

I tend to agree about the wing. I think Gutho was/is being groomed as a replacement for Steve Matai and I do think that he and Peta Hiku (if he stays here) will be our long term replacements for Killer and Skivy. Jorge might also be in the mix for a centre spot. We know that when Snake goes that Tommy will play fullback.....that just leaves one wing spot and 5/8 to cover by 2017-18.

I know there has been talk of playing either Tommy or Gutho or even Snake at 5/8 next year, but in all honesty I would go with someone who has been there, done that at pivot before and has been successful in the position, such as Killer. He's still one of the best centres going around, if not the best, but I think he would probably be our best option to replace Foran, at least in the short term. But who knows, Koroisau or Parcell might go well there also (I honestly can't see Moltzen being anything other than a NSW Cup half and possible injury replacement). But if I were the coach I would be leaning towards Killer.

So far he is very anonymous to most of us. He had to sort out some serious issues that to be fair were not his fault.

I applaud that there has been a big effort to 're sign our promising youngsters and more.can be done.

I'm seriously disappointed in how the coach was treated and blamed for errors.that the owners and previous management made in relation to players contracts.

I'm worried that there has been no announcement about our next major sponsor and an elaboration on the plans to upgrade Brookvale.

I still believe that it's premature to judge him. I think.this time next year when we can measure if the club is moving forward and addressing the issues I wrote earlier.

Coaching and playing group aside, I think the biggest problem facing Manly is the long term viability of Brookvale Oval as a permanent NRL venue.

I know we all love the place, but lets face facts.....unless Brookie gets a serious upgrade in the next 5 years we are going to be looking at the possibility of home games being played elsewhere such as ANZ, the SFS or even Gosford. And where the money to do upgrades/re-building will come from is anyone's guess.

Some people see The Hill at Brookie as irreplaceable, but unless we can turn the ground into something like Gosford or even Parramatta Stadium (i.e. modern, mostly all-seated), its only going to get harder and harder for the club to justify playing home games at Brookie and the NRL is going to put more and more pressure on the club to move its home games.

That is something the Penn's are going to have to sort out, and quickly.

Until he signs a good front rower like a burgess or Klemmer he will be doing an awesome job, right now he has made our rebuilding phase a lot quicker. Manly should move to CC stadium or upgrade brookie because the grounds surface isn't exactly ideal.

Until he signs a good front rower like a burgess or Klemmer he will be doing an awesome job, right now he has made our rebuilding phase a lot quicker. Manly should move to CC stadium or upgrade brookie because the grounds surface isn't exactly ideal.

Sorry I meant to say until he signs a good front rower like a burgess or Klemmer he won't be doing and awesome job

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4