Joey Johns to coach Eagles exclusively

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Great news. Brad Arthur and Joey. Cot to be happy with that. DCE and Foz under the exclusive tutelage of the master. Get some fat on that!

the story is mostly about arthur joining us but here is the link:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arthur-puts-childhood-dislike-aside-to-help-sea-eagles-fly-high-20121026-28b34.html

Here is another:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/nrl-sea-eagles-tough-n-ready-brad-arthur-manlys-new-assistant-coach/

I think it gives a slightly different take on the Johns situation. Doesn't specifically suggest he will work 'exclusively' for Manly, just a hint of it.

ANDREW Johns has always said he would never become an NRL coach.

"I've seen what the stress does, I won't be doing that," he said.

Really Joey, never?

"I know you never say never but this time I'm saying never will I go into head coaching."

Instead, Johns is close to signing off on a deal that will see him work as a consultant to Manly Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey.

Johns' arrival at Manly coincides with former Parramatta coach Brad Arthur joining Toovey as his assistant coach next season.

Most would read the move as the rugby league Immortal dipping his toes into the world of full-time coaching.

But under the terms of the proposed deal, Johns will work part-time, for up to three days a week, exclusively with the Sea Eagles.

His role would be to work as a member of the first-grade coaching staff while overseeing development of the club's junior talent.

The former champion halfback said his passion for the game and the ability to offer tutelage to the Sea Eagles wealth of talent is the motivation to accepting a formal role with Manly.

"Hopefully we can work something out," Johns said.

"I've known Tooves for a while now, having played with and against him and we get on well.

"Manly have some of the best young halves in the game and I still think Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans still have plenty of improvement in their game."

Johns' manager John Fordham met with Manly CEO David Perry last week with Johns' deal still to be determined.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-set-to-lock-up-andrew-johns-on-exclusive-coaching-contract/story-e6frexnr-1226504522913

This is really exciting, hopefully we can strike a deal with Joey.

Those that don't think Toovs knows what he is doing, better think again. Successful coach's surround themselves with people that know what they are doing. Joey fits the bill.

Wish it was March already :(

Tooves has now had the time to assess what he needs, and kudos to the Manly Management for enabling him to get it.

Brad Arthur has the apprenticeship of a structured framework.
Whilst,Johns has the innate, unstructured football framework.

Looks exciting for us, and I'm sure the Players will be stimulated and rearing to go from the 1st November:angel:

Berkeley_Eagle said:
"His role would be to work as a member of the first-grade coaching staff while overseeing development of the club's junior talent."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-set-to-lock-up-andrew-johns-on-exclusive-coaching-contract/story-e6frexnr-1226504522913

This role certainly wouldn't harm our chances of continuing to attract top youngsters - and at a cheaper price.

HappilyManly said:
Wish it was March already :(

Tooves has now had the time to assess what he needs, and kudos to the Manly Management for enabling him to get it.

Brad Arthur has the apprenticeship of a structured framework.
Whilst,Johns has the innate, unstructured football framework.

Looks exciting for us, and I'm sure the Players will be stimulated and rearing to go from the 1st November:angel:

"rearing to go" we are not playing at Oxford street!

Great news about the staffing. Welcome to the Eagles. I see another trophy in our near future. Go Manly!

I remember when we signed Ben Kennedy that i was so impressed with our recruitment of him, then we signed my favourite player of another club......JAMIE LYON and i thought it was so exciting getting him. Now i'm just as excited and impressed in our recruitment of Andrew Johns on our coaching staff.

Wow, this is such a great signing for our club. I hope he enjoys it enough that he will want to hang around for a very long time.

I'm sure the knights will want him back eventually but i'm glad the northern beaches is home to him at the moment.

Well done all at the club for getting such a league great to our staff.

I'd love to have a beer or two with Joey and Cliffy, just to get their insight and opinions on todays game and players in the comp.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
"His role would be to work as a member of the first-grade coaching staff while overseeing development of the club's junior talent."

This role certainly wouldn't harm our chances of continuing to attract top youngsters - and at a cheaper price.

This is what i believe is the best part of this story. Our current squad are already of high quality i believe, and even tho chez and foz need a bit more work and will get it with joey there, its our juniors that should benifit the most from this signing.

I find most clubs reap the benefits when they have success over a period of time but manage to fall over for yeaaaaaaaaars once that squad either moves on or retires. We have enjoyed alot of success the past 6 years with this champion team and the reality is now its starting to age a bit BUT our clubs future def looks brighter with the recruitment of all these exciting young talents and hopefully with joey around we can maintain our status as a competition heavyweight for years to come.

At least in my time, Manly has always been a competition heavyweight – bar one excruciating period during which, for well-documented reasons, we lost our team. That we recovered so swiftly is a testament to the club's strong culture of success. From here on we demand nothing less. Every year a competition heavyweight, a perennial contender – and, frequently, premiers.

I am a little perplexed that someone on our coaching staff has picked the Cowboys for premiers......:huh:

Yeah that's not a great look but if they're going to allow him to dabble in journalism then he's gotta be impartial i guess.

Stevo said:
Yeah that's not a great look but if they're going to allow him to dabble in journalism then he's gotta be impartial i guess.

Yeah i agree..... But It could even be an attempt to get Manly under the radar I suppose.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6