John Hopoate Blocked By The NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dicko

JOHN HOPOATE BLOCKED BY NRL FROM COACHING MANLY SEA EAGLES JUNIOR REPRESENTATIVE SIDE

Former Manly international John Hopoate has been blocked by the NRL from coaching the Sea Eagles' SG Ball Cup team following the outcry that accompanied his appointment for 2016.

Fairfax Media understands Hopoate was advised by the NRL on Tuesday he wouldn't be allowed to coach the under-18 team. The decision is said to have hit the 41-year-old - who has been painted as rugby league's public enemy No.1 - extremely hard.

Sources close to Hopoate said the one-time winger was "devastated".

"He's being judged for things that happened 14 or 15 years ago," said the source who declined to be named. "In the legal system you can't be imprisoned for the same crime twice but that seems to be what's happening to John. He served his time for incidents he really regrets but he's being punished for them again. It's just not fair."

Hopoate's playing career was littered with controversy. He was the NRL's most suspended player, spending 45 weeks on the sideline for transgressions that included sticking his finger up three player's backsides to put them off their game.

After news of his appointment broke, Fairfax Media readers alleged Hopoate behaved poorly at junior football matches by abusing referees.

However, apart from his involvement with the Manly junior representative teams and the fact rugby league Immortal Bob Fulton judged him to be an ideal coach for the club's juniors, Hopoate was recently handpicked by the NRL to participate in a coaching course that would qualify him to coach first grade.

What is understood to have frustrated Hopoate about the NRL's verdict was that prior to the public outcry that accompanied news of his appointment, he'd been coaching the SG Ball squad for the past few months.

"I've always said I'm the crash-test dummy. I've done the dumb things – and [I want to make sure] they don't. I'm big on discipline. I've never had a drama with any of the parents [of the players in his teams] I've coached," Hopoate told Fairfax Media on October 24. "Discipline is one of my things, my players aren't allowed to talk back to the referees because I won't tolerate that. They're taught to cop whatever happens.Two of the boys I coached have become lawyers, none of them have been in trouble. I take no crap."

New Manly coach Trent Barrett praised Hopoate at the club's media launch on Wednesday as a generous and honest person and said he'd shown great promise as a rugby league mentor. "He has a lot to offer as a coach; not a lot of people probably know the real John Hopoate," Barrett said. "He is a very generous person, he is a very honest person and I know he does a terrific job with those kids. He is more than welcome at our football club."

Barrett conceded Hopoate had made mistakes but had also admitted to that. "I think he has put it [controversies] behind him," Barrett said. "The people that have those [bad] opinions of him probably don't know a lot about him.

"Everyone has made mistakes and Hoppa has always put his hands up for that."

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/ma...nior-representative-side-20151104-gkqwev.html

Never had the expirence of anything to do with John.
But I have read alot of comments that he had a positive influence on the kids he coached.
Too bad his years of being a dickhead have come back to bite him.

A comment on the SMH website about this story raised an interesting issue:

How come the NRL are fine for Russell Packer to return to the NRL comp when he's done time in jail for a brutal assault but Hoppa gets different treatment.

Russell Packer isn't working with children, that's the key difference. But I do agree with your sentiment.

A comment on the SMH website about this story raised an interesting issue:

How come the NRL are fine for Russell Packer to return to the NRL comp when he's done time in jail for a brutal assault but Hoppa gets different treatment.
Hoppa is a repeat offender and excuses his anti social behaviour as teaching kids how not to be like him.
The lesson seems to be that he can do what he likes irrespective of others.@:rolleyes:
Think of the Kiddies!

Packer may still be deported, so his NRL return may be cut short.

I actually have some sympathy for Hoppa here. Whoever at Manly thought this was a good idea in the first place actually set him up big time. Not saying that the nrl are right,wrong, hypocrites or whatever but there was no way they were ever going to give him the green light

I actually have some sympathy for Hoppa here. Whoever at Manly thought this was a good idea in the first place actually set him up big time. Not saying that the nrl are right,wrong, hypocrites or whatever but there was no way they were ever going to give him the green light
It was a poor appointment and the NRL were right to act. You cant have someone coaching youngsters who has never been able to set a good example for them and has form in abusing officials at youth level. Manly have to do better!

Listening to TB this morning on BSB he has a very high opinion of Hoppa and according to him is very good with younger players. TB even said that if any of the players parents have any concerns that his door was open to discuss any issues. Also sounds like that even though he is blocked atm it isn't a shut case. Agree he would not be my first choice, however i only go off how he is portrayed in the media. From memory they can depict anyone in any light they want.

On a side note TB mentioned that the squad had a few changes to get used to such as new staff & facilities. Anyone know about these new facilities?

Listening to TB this morning on BSB he has a very high opinion of Hoppa and according to him is very good with younger players. TB even said that if any of the players parents have any concerns that his door was open to discuss any issues. Also sounds like that even though he is blocked atm it isn't a shut case. Agree he would not be my first choice, however i only go off how he is portrayed in the media. From memory they can depict anyone in any light they want.

On a side note TB mentioned that the squad had a few changes to get used to such as new staff & facilities. Anyone know about these new facilities?
@SeaEagle21 there was a story recently that the Sea Eagles have upgraded facilities at Narrabeen Sports Academy including an area dedicated to the team. It might have been part of an interview.

I'm not so down on Hoppa as many on these forums, though I do understand the concern. But though Hoppa has been an idiot with some of his behaviour on and off the field, he is apparently a well regarded family oriented man and quite committed to the youth in League.

Sure his reputation is not what we need in encouraging parents to allow their children to be coached by him. But all people have different facets of their personality. Hoppa maybe a dickhead in certain aspects of his personality, but my understanding is he is quite responsible when it comes to kids.

I know some will point at Jamal and say what about that son, but then Will turned out OK and his other sons are apparently good kids. Of course I dont know Hoppa personally, but remember the family interest Grandma Hoppa showed to members of the team only a few years back. There's good and bad in us all.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6