Johnson is brilliant … but not the world’s best

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Dan Nicholls – December 22, 2014

There is always plenty of discussion following the crowning of the Golden Boot each season, but nothing like we have already seen this season.

The general consensus seems to be that while Shaun Johnson is amongst the elite in the rugby league world, he isn’t the world’s best player.

To be honest I thought Sam Burgess had the award absolutely parcelled up.

Man of the Match in the Grand Final, after a super season, including a Dally M lock of the year award. Seemed like he, or co-Dally M medallist Johnathan Thurston were the only genuine contenders.

The only argument, at least in my mind, could come in the form of big James Graham , who had one of the best seasons I have ever seen for a front rower.

One thing I certainly did not see happening was the award being presented to the Warriors superstar number seven.

I don’t begrudge Johnson the award. I am a huge fan of his, except when he’s playing in a side opposing the one I am supporting, and there can be no argument that he is one of the most exciting players in the game … but I wouldn’t put him in the top five.

Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis , Jarryd Hayne , James Graham and Sam Burgess were the top fivers players last season.

For mine Thurston, and Hunt were better halfbacks than Johnson last season.

There’s no doubt Johnson had some amazing games. His Four Nation’s tournament was incredible. That being said, he just didn’t show the level of consistency required to be crowned what is effectively the best player in the world.

The Warriors did not make the finals. Johnson did not finish in the top 10 of the Dally M medal count. The New Zealanders only JUST beat a severely understrength Kangaroos side.

Surely the side, containing the world’s best halfback, would have made the Top Eight? Surely the world’s best player would have claimed a top few spot in the Dally Ms, which to be fair is a subjective award? Surely the world’s best halfback would have led his side to a big win over a third rate Kangaroos side?

It seems as though his performance in the Four Nations won him the award, which is an absolute laugh in itself. Thurston, who was in my view the most dominant player of the season, would not have even been considered due to him not taking part in the tournament. Hilarious.

Thurston or Burgess should have been presented with the award.

While looking at the supposed best in the world, how about the World XI?

Dean Whare ? Manu Vatuvei ? Kevin Proctor ?

How about the fact Thurston was named as five-eight in the World Team XI, despite the fact he played his best football when he returned to wearing the number seven?

OK, so the last comment was nit-picking, but I don’t understand how those tasked with selection the World XI came up with the side they did.

Am I way off here? Was Johnson really as consistently good as Thurston and Burgess?

My World XI would have been.

1.Jarryd Hayne

2. Ryan Hall (I don’t rate the ESL anywhere near the level of the NRL, but Ryan Hall is a special winger and arguably the best winger in the world right now)

3. Jamie Lyon

4. Dylan Walker

5. Josh Mansour

6. Johnathan Thurston (despite the fact he played his best footy at halfback, it seems the popular thing to do is to name him as a five-eight)

7. Ben Hunt

8. James Graham

9. James Segeyaro

10. Jesse Bromwich

11. Aidan Guerra

12. Simon Mannering

13. Sam Burgess

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/johnson-is-brilliant-but-not-the-worlds-best-16101/#ixzz3MZtjXFow

I think that team is a bit closer to the mark than Middletons team.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Dave-Middleton-s-Rugby-League-Annual?pid=624127#pid624127

So I read this title, and given that its summer thought it was about Mitch Johnson. (and was going to say how i disagreed with the title :) )

Damn off season.

Jamie Lyon is the best all round footballer I have ever seen. Tough, smart, fast, alert and a great leader. A top bloke on and off the field. A role model for every young footballer, no matter which team the play for, or in which position they play.

Jamie Lyon and Steve Menzies. Enough said.

I think Shaun Johnson on his day is one of the most scintillating players in the comp, and he owned the 4 nations. However, for me the best player in the world has to have had a great season. And I think he had a good season, and then topped it off with a brilliant 4 nations. So to be named the worlds best is a little bit too high an accolade for me.

And @mozgrame....If I could have a billion liked that post I would have.

Eagles2nv said:
So I read this title, and given that its summer thought it was about Mitch Johnson. (and was going to say how i disagreed with the title :) )

Damn off season.

Well you could certainly be forgiven for thinking it is about cricket, given he keeps talking about the World XI...

Kiwis, led by Shaun Johnson, played attractive, unorthodox footy in the 4 nations.

SOO is predictably boring 5 hit ups from 1 pass out or dummy-half - then kick & chase.
Repeat.

NRL somewhere in between.

Reckon SJ fairly close to best player going
around, but I wouldn't swap our halves.

cheers.

Fun fact ;

Since its inception in 1985 (they chose a winner for 1984 at the start of 1985) no prop has ever won a golden boot. The list is..

1984 - Wally Lewis - Five eighth.
1985 - Brett Kenny - Five eighth.
1986 - Garry Jack - Fullback.
1987 - Hugh McGahan/Peter Sterling - Second row, Halfback.
1988 - Ellery Hanley - Five eighth.
1989 - Mal Meninga - Centre.
1990 - Garry Schofield - Five eighth.

1991 thru 1998 - No awards given.

1999 - Andrew Johns - Halfback.
2000 - Brad Fitler - Five eighth.
2001 - Andrew Johns - Halfback.
2002 - Stacey Jones - Halfback.
2003 - Darren Lockyer - Fullback.
2004 - Andy Farrell - Lock.
2005 - Anthony Minichiello - Fullback.
2006 - Darren Lockyer - Five eighth.
2007 - Cameron Smith - Hooker.
2008 - Billy Slater - Fullback.
2009 - Greg Ingliss - Centre
2010 - Benji Marshall - Five eighth.
2011 - Johnathon Thurston - Halfback.
2012 - Kevin Sinfield - Lock.
2013 - Johnathon Thurston - Five eighth.
2014 - Shaun Johnson - Halfback

I find that amazing, since it depends a lot on the efforts of you big men, how good of a game a halfback/five eighth has. As the old saying goes, forwards win the big matches.

As captain of New Zealand, Marshall was an automatic selection for the NRL All Stars in 2010.

In March 2010, Marshall scored two tries against the Parramatta Eels to become the highest try-scorer for the Wests Tigers, breaking the record of 43 previously held by Daniel Fitzhenry. For the 2010 Anzac Test, he captained New Zealand at five-eighth in their loss against Australia. Later that year, in a match against the Titans, Marshall kicked a 51-metre long field goal, considered to be the longest in NRL history. 2010 was the first season that Marshall had played without missing a game due to injury, and his form was thought to be close to his career-best. He played in 34 games in 2010, the most of any NRL player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benji_Marshall#2010

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6