Jordan McLean hearing.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
I really hope he isn't suspended. I think the guilt he would be feeling is enough without any suspension. A suspension of any size could destroy him. A suspension should not be required to deter similar tackles in future games. The injury to Alex surely has already done this. There are dozens of worse tackles every week going unpunished.

Completely agree, but the NRL have made a rod for their backs by saying that they take into account injury sustained when deciding on a suspension. He did lift (albeit minor) and he did put his hand between his legs, one wonders if the family of Alex or indeed Alex have made any representations on behalf of Jordan. It is an unfortunate accident with devastating consequences, not at all with any intent.

I don't agree Bones. I said earlier I found it really difficult to think about this whole scenario, and still do, but what I currently think is this.

The tackler lifted contrary to the rules (I watched it number of times on the night, don't want to again)
As a result the tackled player may never walk again (but hope he will one day)

Any malice? Of course not. But the reason lifting tackles are illegal is precisely for this danger.
Other players involved? Yes, but that doesn't make it less dangerous, it makes it more dangerous.

I'd put him out for a year. It's highly unfortunate, and yes he'd be unlucky, but not as unlucky as the player he lifted.

As for concern about McLeans' own mental state, guilt feelings etc, well that is tough but I'm sure the league community would rally around him, as they should, the same as they are trying to do for Alex McKinnon.

I don't think rugby league can afford to say an illegal lifting tackle resulting in a broken neck is just part of the game.

Unfortunately, broken necks are a part of the game lately.
-David Williams
-Sam McKendry
-Richie Fa'aoso
-Ben Ross.

The way the game has evolved is to blame, not kids like Jordan McLean.

Don't think injury is relevant until sentencing.

The panel has to first be satisfied the player is guilty of the charge. The panel can't even find him guilty using presumptions either. So was he lifted over the horizontal? Looked to be right on the borderline.

I feel sorry for the bloke, to the letter of the law he's guilty but there's been worse that's gone unpunished. Unfortunately Joe public will want to see Mclean punished and the judiciary will be pressured to set an example.

The NRL is partially to blame as well, they had plenty of time to outlaw wrestling, grapple tackles etc. from the start but didn't.

This guy would be suffering knowing he was part of a tackle to could see Alex paralysed for the rest of his life. I think that is punishment enough.

My view is that was terrible accident and it will most likely happen again.

https://twitter.com/newscomauHQ/status/451274452211228672
news.com.au ‏@newscomauHQ 3m

RT "@LeagueWeek JUST IN: Jordan McLean found guilty of a dangerous throw. Sentence to follow... #nrl"

Looks like they want a heavy penalty.

https://twitter.com/LeagueUnlimited/status/451278777780154368

Steve Hart ‏@SteveHartFOX 6m

NRL counsel asking it to be graded a 3 or 4 Dangerous throw .. Panel to decide on penalty for Jordan Mclean soon after finding him guilty

League Unlimited NRL ‏@LeagueUnlimited 1m

According to the #NRL website, Dangerous Throw accrues 525 demerit points for Grade 3, and 725 for Grade four. #McLean #Judiciary

#NRL JUDICIARY UPDATE: @NRL counsel are seeking a Grade THREE or FOUR Dangerous Throw charge for Jordan McLean

According to the #NRL website, Dangerous Throw accrues 525 demerit points for Grade 3, and 725 for Grade four. #McLean #Judiciary

If the #NRL grade Jordan McLean’s tackle as a Grade 3 he will miss FIVE weeks, if it’s a Grade 4 he will miss SEVEN weeks

Sounds about right @Berkeley_Eagle. I thought the work of the other two Storm tacklers had a major impact on the outcome; and about six weeks works for me.

Agree young McLean would be doing it tough mentally, too...I'd give him minimal time out, if
any suspension at all. Certainly NOT twelve
months.

Nothing will make Alex Mac's situation better,
and I doubt he'd want McLean run out of town either.

Tacklers lifting a bloke with one leg are outlawed for the very reason they are dangerous. Whether the tackler is a good bloke or is doing it tough is immaterial. If it is not a heavy suspension it will be a joke. Ritchie got a big holiday after lifting inglis remember. The gradings mentioned are absurdly low. Smith should go too.

When the nrl first clamped down on these sort of tackles 8 or so years ago it had a big impact and cut down on pile drive tackles. They have gradually eased back on suspensions for these and other dangerous tackles and we are seeing more and more of them creep into the game. The nrl need to start imposing more appropriate suspensions to warn players off taking stupid risky tackles. It is unfortunate that this is happening to a young player and I agree the other 2 players contributed and should be held somewhat responsible. Whatever charge he/they receive pales in comparison to the penalty the innocent Alex has been dealt

https://twitter.com/DanGinnane/status/451282851141406720

Dan Ginnane ‏@DanGinnane 1m

Mal Cochrane, Bob Lindner and Chris McKenna deliberating now. They don't have to take the NRL counsel's recommendations #nrl

Richie's lifting tackles were ironically more reckless and potentionally more dangerous @shoe1.
You see similar semi-lift type efforts ten times a game and it's just good luck more injuries don't eventuate.
Perhaps some deterrent now will have benefit...
I think the injury to Alex is a pretty big wake-up call for every player in the league in itself.

Was merely saying I feel this was as much an accident, as anything reckless or malicious.

I don't know the kid, but of course he'd be feeling bad. A suspension might be best for him in the long run too......and hopefully now players will stop the lift in tackles altogether.

Shoe1 said:
Tacklers lifting a bloke with one leg are outlawed for the very reason they are dangerous. Whether the tackler is a good bloke or is doing it tough is immaterial. If it is not a heavy suspension it will be a joke. Ritchie got a big holiday after lifting inglis remember. The gradings mentioned are absurdly low. Smith should go too.

Richie's tackle on Inglis was 10 times worse than the McLean tackle. The outcome however was a billion times worse in the McLean one. It's just tragic.

You get the feeling the NRL are wanting a sentence that speaks to the whole of the code and not just treat it as a NRL charge.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I don't agree Bones. I said earlier I found it really difficult to think about this whole scenario, and still do, but what I currently think is this.

The tackler lifted contrary to the rules (I watched it number of times on the night, don't want to again)
As a result the tackled player may never walk again (but hope he will one day)

Any malice? Of course not. But the reason lifting tackles are illegal is precisely for this danger.
Other players involved? Yes, but that doesn't make it less dangerous, it makes it more dangerous.

I'd put him out for a year. It's highly unfortunate, and yes he'd be unlucky, but not as unlucky as the player he lifted.

As for concern about McLeans' own mental state, guilt feelings etc, well that is tough but I'm sure the league community would rally around him, as they should, the same as they are trying to do for Alex McKinnon.

I don't think rugby league can afford to say an illegal lifting tackle resulting in a broken neck is just part of the game.

The guy has unintentionally put someone in a wheelchair and will live with that for the rest of his life. The NRL is more at fault than this pawn, they should fine themselves 5 million and give it to the victims family for creating an environment where this sort of thing can happen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7