Just an FYI - Some site maintenance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,

Gearing up for the season, I am running some site maintenance at the moment, over the next few days there may be some quirks to the site, including the theme changing to a messy one for a while whilst I build out the newer version of the theme and system.

I am finialising the setup of this years tipping competition as well and will have that open for registrations by the weekend.

Please bear with me whilst I complete all the work between managing both kids and a busy workload :)

Hopefully the iOS app is ready soon for you all too.

Dan

For the geeks here thought I would show you our current backup server, this lives in my house, it logs in remotely to the Silvertails server and takes a database and file backup every day. Incremental backups every other day.
image.jpeg
It's just a raspberry pi and is currently living on top of the outlet upstairs in my room, until I find a better location that won't see it unplugged by the cleaner again grrrrr.
image.jpeg

Once the backup is taken a secondary pi gets a backup inside my network and once a month those backups go to another storage location based in the US.

This way we should never lose much data if we are hacked again.

The secondary pi is also a staging server for Silvertails but is sllllloooowww.

Anyway geek stuff

@globaleagle this is your sort of stuff

For the geeks here thought I would show you our current backup server, this lives in my house, it logs in remotely to the Silvertails server and takes a database and file backup every day. Incremental backups every other day.

It's just a raspberry pi and is currently living on top of the outlet upstairs in my room, until I find a better location that won't see it unplugged by the cleaner again grrrrr.

Once the backup is taken a secondary pi gets a backup inside my network and once a month those backups go to another storage location based in the US.

This way we should never lose much data if we are hacked again.

The secondary pi is also a staging server for Silvertails but is sllllloooowww.

Anyway geek stuff

@globaleagle this is your sort of stuff

Mmmmmm.....pie!

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I love it when you talk dirty @Dan

Not a clue what you are talking about but sounds very impressive!!
I like how Silvertails fits in the palm of my hand when backed up. If I am ever back in oz and on the NBN Silvertails will be hosted of a cluster of those little machines

I like how Silvertails fits in the palm of my hand when backed up. If I am ever back in oz and on the NBN Silvertails will be hosted of a cluster of those little machines

Amazing technology, just to think I saw the Qantas computer system in about 1980, it was about the size of a basketball court !!

Amazing technology, just to think I saw the Qantas computer system in about 1980, it was about the size of a basketball court !!
Yup these are pi model b's I am going to get some pi twos as well which are more powerful than the first computers I owned!

They make great little media centeres too

Yup these are pi model b's I am going to get some pi twos as well which are more powerful than the first computers I owned!

They make great little media centeres too

My first ever computer, bought in 1982, which ran the accounting side of the business had an amazing, unbelievable 10Mb hard drive.

AND, cost about $10k ( which is about $25k in today's money).

Raspberry pi :)
Awesome little device. Until I got a new QNAP system I used to use one as a media centre.

I've since given it to my nephew as an introduction to computing. Budding little programmer there.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8