Just how commercial is Manly making this GF?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
We made the GF for the first time in 10 years and the first thing the club does is put up an auction with a starting price of $800 to have your photo taken with the team on Monday morning.

Now this little gem pops into my email box:

EXCLUSIVE PRIVATE GRAND FINAL AFTER PARTY AUCTION

This is an amazing once only offer that will go to a very lucky highest bidder. After the Grand Final, Players, Coaching Staff and VIPs will return to the Manly Leagues Club for a Private Grand Final After Party Function and you could be coming along!

The winner of this auction will receive a double pass to the Private Grand Final After Party Function which includes all food and drinks for a set period* plus the chance to rub shoulders with Sea Eagles players past and present.

This exclusive and private function is not open to the general public and we will not be selling tickets.

Its mind blowing to think how sensational this function will be when we come home as 2007 Premiers**.

A once in a lifetime experience.

Well that is just great. In 1996 after our first GF win in 9 years I came home on the club bus from the SFS and the Club forced me to wait in the rain for 1 1/2 hrs before they let me in. Despite that I did get to share the moment with all the other faithful and well remember standing on a landing chanting 'Dessie is a legend' with 50 other joyous supporters. The best part was in the auditorium where I, and my brother-in-law, held aloft the Winfield Cup flanked by the team and is probably one of my most cherished memories and we partied with them for most of the night.

BUT THIS YEAR???
Probably consigned to the Corporate set who would be looking for their Coronas stuffed with fruit.

Are we going to be made to bid for every moment of any glory our team has? Just how far are they willing to sell the supporters another piece of something that we should, in my opinion, be able to take as right considering the **** we have put up with this decade?

I got the email. It is the world we live in MB and we have emerged from the pit of despair. Of course the club will try to milk everything it can get from this week.

Wait till we win and then see what you will get.

Here, Here!

Also will the club be allowing Leagues club members watch the game at the auditorium?

I have no problem with the club seeking every dollar they possibly can out of the GF, with one proviso, don't forget the average punter.

We will be heading back to the Leagues Club on Sunday night, with just one objective, to share the moment (win or lose) with the team. The supporters are owed that much at least. After that the team, staff and management are then entitled to enjoy the remainder of the night.

My wife is pretty upset with the auction for the child to lead the team on.

She suggested it would be more egalitarian to hold a lottery of $10-$20 entry per child with the winner drawn. And would probably raise the same amount.

An aboriginal kid running around West Dubbo should have the same opportunity as some rich private school only child darling living in a Northern Beaches mansion?

I am along the same lines as Pete. I guess my point is that the game is no longer held at 3.00pm and in 1996 and 1987 the team didn't get back to the Club until about 9.00pm (forgive me if the exact time is a bit hazy). If the game is at 7.00pm, they will have finished the victory lap and photos by 9.00pm, then they will get together and celebrate (of course), have a shower, 45 mins travel time and then a private function. The club has a closing time of 2.00 am and I guess I wonder how much time there will be for the fans.

The club has a closing time of 2.00 am and I guess I wonder how much time there will be for the fans.

The club won't be closing on Sunday night at 2.00 am that's for sure. I am pretty sure that the club either has a 24 hour licence or can apply for special dispensation for one.

Just something else for the those going to the game to think about. In 1996 we came back on the Manly club bus from the game and were forced to wait a long time to get in. The reason I guess is that everyone on the peninsula wanted to be there and by having a waiting line snaking around the building it deterred some attempting to do so. We were forced to wait 1 1/2 hrs in the rain that time - so be prepared for some uncomfortable time if there is a repeat.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2