Just my opinion.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
In the old days opinion was given face to face, in a pub or at work or school or on a bus or wherever.

In group discussions if you didn’t have the knowledge to have an opinion you listened and learned because if you jumped in too early or spoke crap then your ignorance would be shown and you would face the consequences or at least stand there looking like a tool.

Then cue the internet - Instant access to any fact - you can even change Wikipaedia to suit your argument if you want – if it’s on the net or in the paper it must be true?

Too many people come over the big “I am” because they’re invisible, anonymous and don’t have to account for their actions or posts – they can simply log out or sit quietly out of harms way – I’ve PM’d enough of them to discuss things in private or debate them on their “false facts” and not had a response from them to know that.

There are some who enjoy stirring the pot but then run away when they are taken to task for the crap they post or are made to look silly..Why would you do that, do you not have more important or constructive things to do with your lives? GO AWAY!

More importantly, they would never dare do it or hope to get away with it in a face to face situation.

To many (especially those who live out of town or can’t get to chat with mates at the ground) forums like this are the new natter in a pub or talk with your work mates and as such they are very important and provide a vital link to the team and happenings around it.

There are some very well informed people who love the club and want to see it do well and post some good points.

Unfortunately there are also the anonymous keyboard warriors who are Genghis Khan on line but often Norman Gunston in real life.

You can tell the people who are genuine - they may not always agree with each other, but much of their discussion on the game or players or officials or club happenings takes place in a face to face spirit and debate is done with knowledge, respect, factually and is well intentioned and invariably constructive.

Each to their own of course and everyone is entitled to an opinion that is what makes life interesting.

However, again, you wouldn’t dare say some of the nonsense posted on here to someone’s face and hope to get away with it.

You wouldn’t slag off someone’s mate or favourite player or family member or someone they respect in front of them without being mindful of the consequences

You can on forums and I’m concerned that there’s an increasing lack of respect for people at the club (players and officials) and other supporters creeping on to this site which is not good for the site, the club or its supporters.

This is not a “true supporter” or rose tinted glasses argument – rather, there are things said on here that the writer would never, ever have the balls to say face to face.

I was in Townsville on the weekend so off the site but come back to see that Dan has had to put a general warning on the site and threatening bans – I seem to remember a similar situation happening on the official site a while ago and looked what happened there?

There has recently been press from Melbourne about their club taking legal action against a fan who posted alleged derogatory comments on a forum.

It’s not beyond the realms that we could be targeted because as we all know not everyone in the NRL or the media likes us?

We all know there are loons and trolls get on this site, some posters even create new “forum id’s” to throw bombs or bait us (we all have our suspicions as to who some are), but it’s up to our own intelligence to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Over the years of being a member you notice certain names crop up on this forum or you get to meet them at games and you read what they write even if you disagree with their argument because they talk knowledgably.

They may have a rant when we lose but you know it’s because they care (or have had a few to numb the pain!). And you can think, I could happily have a pint with this lad (or lass).

There are some who are dead set knobs – hence Dan having to set up an ignore function

Maybe that should be the criteria for taking someone serious, "would I like to have a bevvy with this poster?"

Personally, there are many on here that I would (or have) BUT (and I’m hearing similar from others) there are some I wouldn’t drink with …even if it was their round.

Just my opinion like.....

you make some good points mate.

I think if you get credit when its due and conversley give constructive critisim when you feel its need.

But you need to play the ball not the man.

I think some posters run the little agendas too far.

Our ceo is a perfect example of that I'm quite open to the fact i was critical of his appointment but hes given our club his 110% and has had to give it away because of his health some of the posts last week since his resignation have been disgraceful. I get the feeling that he would save someone from a dog attack and certain blokes on here would be calling on the RSPCA because he was cruel to animals.

Theres been same agendas being waged aganist Choc and now Rose.

Why do we need it, we are fans arent we? I'm not saying we shouldnt criticize but it should be constructive not an out and our personal

Good points. I felt I almost crossed a line in one thread but still went with it because it is my opinion on what I consider an important matter. Being on here on Saturday night that first 25 minutes after the game was like watching chaos theory in action, with crazy threads opening up one after another in what looked like an aerial view of a riot spreading. But I can understand the passion. I hope I am still down for a beer with most on here :)

<resists putting in a smart ass comment>

I agree with what you are saying Vidmar, however the internet is the internet and this forum is no different from the thousands of others out there.

We have been lucky over the years that we have somehow been able to avoid the various politics that play out on other forums. That is changing a little but by an large we still have a good community with a good feel to it

While Dan does a great job and i love the site and dont wish it any harm

When the official site closed, the manly website directed manly fans and members to this forum as it was convenient for them at the time.

Ive always read this site but never joined up due to all the aggro and lack of respect shown at times, back then and now. Nothing has really changed

But i agree vid many go way too far, but unfortunately that is the world in which we live, that is what a public forum is about and you cant punch everyone out , no matter how much you wish

Let them get sued, let natural selection take care of the rest, use the ignore button and set your own standards. It works for me

I totally agree with what you are saying Vid.

I came onto the forum at about 1am Saturday/Sunday and it was not a good sight.

I believe everyone has an opinion as long as it is constructive. Saying a player should be removed from the team due to 1 bad incident is not fair, especially a certain player with limited games under his belt.

Mouthing off about the CEO is also unacceptable when he hasn't done a bad job and is currently not in a healthy state.

If you have fair reason to make your comments and they make a good point then I will listen to it. However, I am getting a bit sick and tired of the non-constructive criticism that is popping up on this board as of late.

PS, Cambo, I'd fix the punctuation in your post as that was really hard to read.

god even i have had a beer with you fluff, but you had had a fair number before that so you may not remember :)

And as someone mentioned when MWSE closed their forums the inmates migrated here en masse, but that one has been done to death as well.

Theres nobs in life, theres nobs on the net, nothing written in stone that says they are to be taken with anything more than a grain of salt, don't like what they are saying, don't read it.

The internet is a big place, anyone can start up their own site if they done like this one.

jbb/james said:
But i agree vid many go way too far, but unfortunately that is the world in which we live, that is what a public forum is about and you cant punch everyone out , no matter how much you wish

It's not about "punching people out" James...it's about letting people know what is and isn't acceptable in civilised society - even in a public forum like ours.

I'd like to think that we all try to respect and repay Dan's hard work by having some level of ownership and duty of care with the site and, as he rightly says, that we foster a community spirit - hence my post

The more we let these people think they can get away with it the more they are encouraged.

I'm all for a bit of banter as you know (and of course often kick it off when in face to face situations!) but when I see decent people slagged off constantly by some of the numpties that post from the relative safety of hyperspace then I question their integrity or motivation for being on here and so challenge it.

ps. I’ve had a beer with you Fluffy (but I’m wary of being seen with you in your pimp coat?)

The ignore function is great but it doesn't filter out the trolls when other people respond to them and quote them i guess that's the only downside. It also can't stop the negative vibe being generated as most threads turn into arguments about the staff and players which as you said are not constructive at all in most cases with people on ignore usually the ones who start them.

vidmar said:
jbb/james said:

It's not about "punching people out" James...it's about letting people know what is and isn't acceptable in civilised society - even in a public forum like ours.

I'd like to think that we all try to respect and repay Dan's hard work by having some level of ownership and duty of care with the site and, as he rightly says, that we foster a community spirit - hence my post

The more we let these people think they can get away with it the more they are encouraged.

I'm all for a bit of banter as you know (and of course often kick it off when in face to face situations!) but when I see decent people slagged off constantly by some of the numpties that post from the relative safety of hyperspace then I question their integrity or motivation for being on here and so challenge it.

ps. I’ve had a beer with you Fluffy (but I’m wary of being seen with you in your pimp coat?)

This is correct. It is my hope that everyone on the site feels a sense of ownership with the site. I have always said a community is a sum of it's members.

As such I feel that every member on here should feel as though they are a valuable part of the community and own a part of Silvertails. This is our site for Manly fans, we are all Manly fans and as such should be looking to build a strong base amongst ourselves.

We all have differing opinions and thoughts and I have no problem with those, what does get annoying is that some with a stronger sense of their opinion sometimes over step the mark in communicating that.

Everyone should feel safe enough to voice an opinion, no matter how outlandish without fear of having to be victimized by others. No-one should also have to wade through post after post of crap.

I by no means want the site also to be a conga line of agreement on every issues. It is the passion and debate that makes this place entertaining. I just sometimes feel that it is at times the communication of differing sides denigrates to a point that is somewhat childish.

Really the sense of ownership is the thing I want fostered. I want every member to feel they have the right to say what they want about Manly and to stand up and say something when the don't agree with what has been said, including what I say as well.

/out

Glad you didn't talk fast, Vid. I would never been able to understand you in that long rant.

Non-Manly Warringah residents have few to talk to but love the Manly-talk and rightly so, can't get enough of it - hence the Forum.
Love the arguments between posters but really gets boring, when it's the same old thing post after post after post.
The same as bagging some players. That gets boring, too.

Then again, reading poor grammar & consistent spelling mistakes makes life more interesting/ boring as it may be.

Nice sentiments Vid but I don't see things improving anytime soon. I recently posted a reply in a thread that discussed an incident involving Ricky Stuart here in Canberra during his playing days. After giving it some thought I regretted making the post and deleted it. Not because it wasn't true but more so out of respect for someone else and his family that I mentioned by name. My point here is that I should have made the effort to think about the post before I actually made it - not after it.

On another matter - never refuse a free round!

vidmar said:
Each to their own of course and everyone is entitled to an opinion that is what makes life interesting.

We all know there are loons and trolls get on this site, some posters even create new “forum id’s” to throw bombs or bait us (we all have our suspicions as to who some are), but it’s up to our own intelligence to sort the wheat from the chaff.

The two part answer to this for me is in the bolded bits.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7