Karate / Martial Arts / Self Defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ssar

Bencher
Hiyas,

Complete newbie to Martial Arts here.

As a family (mid-30's age wife, 3.5yo son, & myself late 30's age) looking at getting into some kind of martial arts, mainly for:

1) Some fitness & exercise,
2) Learn some self defense,
3) Enjoy a challenging, progressive activity as a family,
4) Some reasonable education about confrontation techniques, balance, coordination, etc. especially for the boy as he grows,
5) Improvement on some self discipline and something healthy, productive & active to focus on.

Prob looking at getting into something 1 night a week during whatever season (if they even have "seasons"), with a view to giving it a good somewhat regular go over the coming years if we all enjoy and find we are getting a fair bit out of it.

We may find some karate type of activity more enjoyable, or some Tae Kwon Do type of activity more enjoyable - don't know.

Only something pretty casual, I cannot see any of us getting into it seriously.
However I personally would like to achieve some reasonable level of beginner's self defence at some stage.

In the Newcastle NSW area I see:

1) Tae Kwon Do - southerncrosstkd.com.au - has some weekly classes at certain suburban locations.

2) Kumiai-Ryu Martial Arts - krmas.com - at the Broadmeadow PCYC have weekly sessions including Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Kata Class, & Karate-based Old Style Okinawan/Kyusho Jitsu/Ju-Jitsu/Kali etc. (instructors accredited thru AKWF & MAIA) (Whatever all that means ;)

3) HVMAC - huntermartialarts.com.au - Chitokai/Chito-Ryu Karate

As well as some other places.

Any advice on how we might get into this type of thing, what I should be considering & looking for?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a black belt in Origami :)

Seriously though, give a few a try and whatever feels like a good fit for you and the crew go with.

I'd think they are all reasonably good as far as fitness goes if yuo get right into them.

ssar, if you can find an organisation that does or incorporates a form of Wing Chun, that is what I would recommend.

Karate, kickboxing etc styles rely enormously on toughening up the body which will result in endless hours of pounding each other and objects, bruising and pain. Taekwondo has a huge emphasis on kicking and training up to breaking blocks but has probably the most practitioners worldwide so at least you could continue this style no matter where you are.

A style like Wing Chun looks at fitness, speed, counter attack while defending in the one motion and is friendlier. This style was originally developed by a nun so is good for all sexes.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2