Keep Origin for Aussies, says JT

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MAROONS ace Johnathan Thurston is adamant foreign stars should not play State of Origin despite fears the code’s new eligibility rules forced Sam Burgess out of the NRL.

The NRL’s interstate guidelines came under fresh examination yesterday after Souths co-owner Russell Crowe claimed Burgess may have stayed in the game if he was permitted to play Origin.

Read More

MAROONS ace Johnathan Thurston is adamant foreign stars should not play State of Origin despite fears the code’s new eligibility rules forced Sam Burgess out of the NRL.

The NRL’s interstate gu
405409-daly-cherry-evans1.jpg
idelines came under fresh examination yesterday after Souths co-owner Russell Crowe claimed Burgess may have stayed in the game if he was permitted to play Origin.

Souths hardman Burgess will leave the Rabbitohs at season’s end to take up a lucrative contract with Bath in the hope of representing England at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Crowe argued a NSW jumper could have been a key inducement to prevent Burgess, one of the NRL’s most marketable players, walking out on rugby league.

Former Maroons halfback Adrian Lam, born in Papua New Guinea, and ex-Kiwi prop Craig Smith both represented Queensland, but Thurston baulked at the notion of Englishmen playing Origin.

“I’m pretty happy with the way it is now,” said Cowboys skipper Thurston as he prepares to launch his 2014 campaign this Saturday night.

“It’s State of Origin, that’s where it all starts, we’ve built the rivalry over few years now and the fans are passionate as ever about it.

“There is no room for (non-Australian) internationals to play.”

Under fresh interstate rules introduced last season, prospective Origin stars must meet several requirements, including residing in NSW or Queensland before the age of 13.

The beefed-up guidelines allowed Kiwi defector James Tamou, who moved to Sydney aged 12, to play for NSW, but the current rules have black-listed Burgess from the Origin arena.

The Rabbitohs enforcer attended last year’s Origin opener at ANZ Stadium with brothers George, Tom and Luke and later admitted leaving the venue “jealous” of Thurston and his Origin contemporaries.

Thurston’s stance was backed by legendary Souths forward John Sattler, who believes New Zealand-born Tamou is fortunate to be wearing the sky blue jumper.

“I’m sorry, but no player with English or New Zealand bloodlines should play State of Origin. Fullstop,” Sattler said.

“The term State of Origin sums it up. If you aren’t born in Queensland or New South Wales, you shouldn’t be able to play Origin.

“A perfect case in point is James Tamou. I have nothing against James, but he simply should not be playing State of Origin. Somewhere out there, a true-blue Aussie is losing out. If you aren’t born in NSW or Queensland, then you don’t play Origin. Case closed.”

Thurston, meanwhile, will appear for the Cowboys for the first time this year in the club’s final trial against the Titans at his old stomping ground in Toowoomba.

The Test playmaker was snubbed by Broncos scouts as a teenager and is eager to fire on familiar terrain after sitting out the Cowboys’ historic NRL Nines triumph.

“I had my first job at Coles in the butcher shop (in Toowoomba), so you have to start somewhere,” he said.

“It will be good to go back to the ground I played footy at and see a few old faces.”

Peter Badel

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/maroons-ace-johnathan-thurston-says-foreign-players-should-not-be-able-to-play-state-of-origin/story-fniabjcr-1226831939250

If he was that keen to play SOO he could have taken Australian citizenship.... it's all about the bucks, the reason he joined Souths in the first place. He got a better offer, suck it up Russ.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6