Kevin, please stop speaking in Ruddles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Kevin, please stop speaking in RuddlesBy Dr Neil James
April 23, 2008 02:41am

DURING the Prime Minister's recent stay in China, much was made of his mastery of Mandarin.

Yet Mr Rudd speaks another language he might do well to improve: English. For, during his early months in office, his speeches and interviews have hardly been a model of clarity.

In particular, Rudd tends to speak in officialese, an unnecessarily complex style that buries his main message.

He will never do things soon, for example, but is "committed to implementation during the course of the year ahead".

A good solution is not enough for a Prime Minister who is "in the process of implementing world's best-practice instruments".

Nothing ever started recently, but "in recent times prior to the commencement".

This is the language of policy-speak, a professional jargon he no doubt mastered during his days as a diplomat.

It can bewilder anyone outside the public service.

The Prime Minister seems to recognise this, but he compensates by tossing in well-worn cliches that only add muddle to the mix.

At recent press conferences and doorstops, he spoke of giving the world economy a shot in the arm to remove major sticking points, and of putting our shoulder to the wheel while tightening our belt to keep a lid on the inflation bottle.

While time is ticking away, we apparently need to get into gear and embrace the future because progress is not in the bag by any stretch of the imagination.

He even has the dubious distinction of adding two new cliches to the Australian lexicon: "working families" and "in due season".

But does it matter that Mr Rudd uses such an odd hybrid of policy speak and cliche? Perhaps speaking like a policy nerd simply reflects his competence to do the job.

It matters because policy competence is not enough. A prime minister also needs to communicate clearly with the people he represents.

How can we understand his new direction in foreign policy, for example, when he speaks of making "some form of conceptual synthesis" out of a "natural complementarity", as he did in his speech to the Brookings Institute?

The Prime Minister's language is also important because it sets an example.

When the bureaucracy hears officialese in its master's voice, it will more readily lapse into the kind of government-speak that hampers every public service.

And it is only a short step from technically dense policy-speak to deliberately deceptive prose.

Kevin Rudd would do well to heed to words of Aristotle, who advised the ideal orator to think like a wise man, but speak in the language of the common people.

Until he masters this tongue, our Prime Minister will continue to speak in Ruddles.

Dr Neil James is executive director of the Plain English Foundation and author of Writing at Work.

Obviously you've never heard him speak or such a die hard labor voter not to notice his cliche driven waffling.

The next three years are going to be very painful for you Byso if this is the best you can find. Rudd is a politician and no different to most of them.

I suppose Brendan Nelson is the epitomy of leadership, marketing and inspiration. :) :) :)

Nelson has nothing, hopefully Costello takes over.

Rudd is nothing more than a used car salesman.

Costello won't do much better, Labour voters don't trust him

Costello is writing his memoirs, preparing to desert the sinking ship. He didn't have the guts to stand up to JWH when it was his time and who would want to sit as opposition leader for at least the next six years.

byso link said:
Good to see you all agree that Rudd is nothing more than a used car salesman.
No just better to ignore idiots than get into slanging matches with them!!  One may or may not like Rudd but the used car salesman jibe is not worth the time of day. As said before it will be a long 6 or 9 years for you.

better a used car salesman than the other option.

Hoenestly, how could you miss that cretin?

I just dont get it. He mislead many with the interest rate ****e, luckily those with 1/4 of a brain or more woke up to it the second time.

He was a damn good politician, but he is gone and the best leader for the country for where we are right now is in power.

Build the bridge

I had to put up with you Muppet's bag Sir Johnie for years.  ;)

So don't whine about me pointing out the obvious on your cliche King, Rudd.

but there was substance for me to whine about rather than a few cliches.

Thats up there with Fro's spelling and grammar whinges.

The word is that poor Johnny was not granted a knighthood by the Queen as it was felt enough of the Australian public had already given him and his party the sword.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7