Key players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Everyone knows forwards win the big games. And each of our main rivals has big strong forward packs, but we have shown we can match them, and more. Having said that, for me the key men might be:

Chooks – Jake Friend. This bloke seemed like a dickhead early in his career, but from the few matches I've seen from him this year he has really blossomed. I think he is the key for the chooks, and he needs to be shut down.

Bunnies – Sutton. Has had his best year behind a dominant forward pack but I'd say he still might have a few lingering self-doubts about playing on the biggest stage. It wouldn't have helped the way he was dicked around with Origin selection. He has to be pressured at every opportunity.

Storm – Finch. Widdop's fitness means he cannot be a serious option, which leaves this bloke in a key position. He has plenty of experience but will be massively targeted, as he was last week and he came up short. He might be the weak link in the Storm machine.

I agree with Jake Friend but not the other two. Each club relies on its hooker - Luke for Souffs and Smith for Melbourne. We saw how insipid Melbourne were when Smith was quiet, and I've been saying for some time that Luke is the spark in Souffs which ignites their forwards and backs.
Three hookers who play like running halfbacks. . . .
I wouldn't say that Ballin is our key, though. I believe it's DCE, although we have a lot of great players. We've shown that we can win without our most active forward (Choc). but are not as successful without Snake. Fortunately, DCE has played all bar one match since he debuted.

The Who said:
I agree with Jake Friend but not the other two. Each club relies on its hooker - Luke for Souffs and Smith for Melbourne. We saw how insipid Melbourne were when Smith was quiet, and I've been saying for some time that Luke is the spark in Souffs which ignites their forwards and backs.
Three hookers who play like running halfbacks. . . .
I wouldn't say that Ballin is our key, though. I believe it's DCE, although we have a lot of great players. We've shown that we can win without our most active forward (Choc). but are not as successful without Snake. Fortunately, DCE has played all bar one match since he debuted.

I thought DCE has played every match as they don't count being selected for SOO as missing a match much like Mat Balin since 2008

For the chooks I'd actually go JWH. I think it's his aggression and ability to bend the line (as well as hit in defence) which is their strength this year.

Souths - Reynolds (remember in the semi when they looked like beating the dogs, then he got injured and the Dogs trounced them>)

Storm - Smith.

Storm - Finch is far from being the Storm's key player! Smith every day of the week. When he plays badly Storm look hopeless.

Roosters - Friend

Souths - Inglis. Totally different team with him at fullback.

Manly - I have to go with Foz. Whilst DCE has the big boot to carry us out of trouble it has been Foz this year setting up the boys outside and running the ball hard at the line. We were average last year when he was injured and DCE was on his own.

Forgot to put in our key player. I think Snake. Whilst we are far from a one man team, Snake is the difference between a Top 4 finish and a Premiership ring. The space he provides to the wide men (Matai/Killer) as well as the lines he runs for his halves just adds so much to the team.

If we lost any other player I think we could cover them. We've seen it in the forwards, we can cover. We lose DCE or Foz, Killer steps into the halves. We lose Killer or Matai you can bring in Hiku. (same for the wings). Whilst those players might not be quite as good in the positions as those they are replacing I think they do a good enough job to get by. We lose Snake and whilst Hiku is some kind of replacement to have, we still drop significantly as a team.

No Snake no premiership.

Killer03 said:
Forgot to put in our key player. I think Snake. Whilst we are far from a one man team, Snake is the difference between a Top 4 finish and a Premiership ring. The space he provides to the wide men (Matai/Killer) as well as the lines he runs for his halves just adds so much to the team.

If we lost any other player I think we could cover them. We've seen it in the forwards, we can cover. We lose DCE or Foz, Killer steps into the halves. We lose Killer or Matai you can bring in Hiku. (same for the wings). Whilst those players might not be quite as good in the positions as those they are replacing I think they do a good enough job to get by. We lose Snake and whilst Hiku is some kind of replacement to have, we still drop significantly as a team.

No Snake no premiership.
I'd say the same applies to Killer.

Roosters - Jake Friend. Agree with this one, this guy had blinders in both games against us this year and their go forward is off the back of his quality service and decision making.
Souths - Adam Reynolds. Simple fact is his kicking game is quality. I have faith in our defensive line but would like to see the 2nd marker working a bit harder to put more pressure on him.
Storm - Cam Smith. Probably had his worst game of the season last week and we found ourselves up 20-nil. 2008 we won 40-nil, no Cam Smith. Coincedence???? Nup, he's a great player and Melbourne rely on him.
and for the mighty Sea Eagles......
Snake. Our attack looks so much better when he is on the field. Left, Right, up the middle, we have so many options. Last week we saw his combo with Glenn on the right side, if Brett didnt play that try would not have been scored. He's a tryscorer, he's an extra ballplayer, he's a communicator at the back in defence, he's a defender.....he's a legend!! Without him, we wont win the comp.

Manly - B. Stewart by a mile - his ability to communicate from the back make the front line close to impregnable in defence & because most tries are scored by the 3/4 line which he is often involved in, many miss his constant support up the middle & on the edges even when he does not get the ball. Imo the best all round player in the NRL atm & will show this in the finals.

Storm - Smith - without him would struggle to make the 8...heart & soul of everything good in attack & defence for them.

Souths - Inglis - Hate or HATE him is a freakish talent , Manly handled him better than anyone this season in the last game but can create something out of nothing. Can be lazy & drift out of games at times.

Roosters - Cordner - The glue in this side & his presence for them is massively underrated but been shown up in recent games. Stay away till 2014 please.
Maloney will cause headaches as 1 of the best hole runners in coming weeks but only if JWH can steamroll a platform.

Sharks - its the foward pack but not enough quality outside backs to be genuine contendors....

Sharks - its the foward pack but not enough quality outside backs to be genuine contendors....
[/quote]

Yep, the Sharks pack absolutely monstered the Roosters when they beat them. I can't recall seeing the Roosters dominated so badly this year.

I would say Lyon is our key player. I know as centre he is not always involved, but when he is out injured, we really struggle to win. It is his presence and his captaincy that makes a big difference.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Storm – Finch. Widdop's fitness means he cannot be a serious option, which leaves this bloke in a key position. He has plenty of experience but will be massively targeted, as he was last week and he came up short. He might be the weak link in the Storm machine.
I think Finch proved my point this afternoon. So much that I doubt he'll even be selected next week.

For us there are a few....Snake, DCE, Fozz, Gifty (almost our entire 'spine'). But of them I'd say Snake is the key. Despite Manly getting better when he's not out there, we are almost unbeatable when he is.

Souff$ - Everyone goes on about GI, Reynolds, Sutton and the Burgess boofheads. But for mine its Issac Luke. Over the past couple of months his form has been outstanding for the Bunnies and he's the main reason they've finished 2nd. I'd be surprised if he didn't win the Dally M Hooker of the Year.

Roosters - Money Bill? Mitchell Piss? Shoe thief Maloney? Nope, like the Wabbits its their hooker. Jake Friend has been their best player this year IMO. If Luke doesn't win the Dally M HotY, he will.

Storm - Out of their 'big 3' I'd probably go with Slater over Cronk or Smith. Sure they control Melbourne's game.....but Billy is the class that tops it off for them. He's almost as important to the Storm as Snake is to us.

Sharks - Carney. Next question? Ok, maybe Fifita, but without Carney the Sharks may as well not bother.

Cowboys - Almost as easy a choice as the Sharks. JT is far and away their best player, though a fit and firing Matt Bowen is always a danger, as is Matt Scott.

Dogs - Who cares?

Knights - I'd say Jarrod Mullen or Darius Boyd. Uate is always a threat but he's down on confidence I think. The bagpipes can't be ignored either.

For what its worth, that's my opinion of the key players in the top 8 sides.

I pick Kite is Manly's key man. If he steps up they way he did against Storm then we'll beat the Chooks (and go on with it). All our stars really depend on us at least holding our own in the forwards, and we're coming up against some pretty good forward packs.

Locks arent key players but they are related

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4