Kicking for touch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Boofhead

Reserve Grader
Can you still use a place kick to kick for touch after a penalty? Could be a good option for Steve Matai, has a long kick and can find touch without trying.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
Matai had a kickoff at Shark Park one year hit the crossbar on the full & went through the posts. So that shows he could kick a goal from halfway.

Matai should take over the in goal dropouts :idea:

Imagine the length he would get, especially against Parra, with all that emotion being channeled to his kicking foot :D

HappilyManly said:
Matai should take over the in goal dropouts :idea:

Imagine the length he would get, especially against Parra, with all that emotion being channeled to his kicking foot :D

we need someone who can kick it to near the half way line regularly.
its like we still have ox taking the drop outs

Could. be handy. Ok, so its the GF. 2 mins to go. Score 18 all. Manly vs Storm. Manly get a penalty 48 mtrs out in the middle of the field through a shameful B Slater indiscretion. Who takes the shot ?

The shameful indiscretion by Slater was on Matai who has to leave the field. Beaver comes on to replace him in his return to Manly on a $5.00 contract. Choc sees that Cam Smith has his back turned, takes a quick tap and tramples over the top of Smith. The cover defence is swarming so he basketball passes to Beaver who fires a flat ball out to Jorge and he is off down the wing. Grub is coming in to take out Jorge with a flying Karate kick but Jorge fires a perfect no look pass to Beaver who strolls over to score under the posts! Brent Kite converts as the full time siren sounds.

(I was going to have Joe G slot the conversion with his good leg but thought that might have been too much).

Shoe1 said:
I reckon he could kick a penalty goal from half way easy.

A mate of mine kicked one from in his own half to down Qld in the early 60s or late 50s.

Bronc Jones.

Boofhead said:
Can you still use a place kick to kick for touch after a penalty? Could be a good option for Steve Matai, has a long kick and can find touch without trying.

Since the drop-punt has replaced the torpedo punt there's no accuracy benefit in a place kick. They drop-punt goals from outside 50 metres regularly in Aussie rules, so no benefit in distance either. Could be a way to tick down the clock?

Yeah I remember Ross Conlon doing it - at Balmain when they were running into a strong wind & just wanted to waste time.

When snake took a drop out against the Cowboys I nearly fell off my chair - thought that had snapped hammy written all over it. Good sign he is feeling OK again I guess.

Rex said:
Boofhead said:

Since the drop-punt has replaced the torpedo punt there's no accuracy benefit in a place kick. They drop-punt goals from outside 50 metres regularly in Aussie rules, so no benefit in distance either. Could be a way to tick down the clock?

Just an aside, did Andrew Walker use torpedoes for distance when kicking for touch. Apologies if I've got that wrong, but it was one of the few highlights during the early 00's, watching him make massive metres with his kicks for touch when we were awarded a penalty. Pretty much guaranteed a set starting in the attacking half.

On the AFL, the 50+ metre goals with drop punts are generally on the run. Most having a genuine crack at goal from on, or just outside the 50metre mark from a free kick, will use the torpedo.

Hamster Huey said:
Rex said:
Boofhead said:

Just an aside, did Andrew Walker use torpedoes for distance when kicking for touch. Apologies if I've got that wrong, but it was one of the few highlights during the early 00's, watching him make massive metres with his kicks for touch when we were awarded a penalty. Pretty much guaranteed a set starting in the attacking half.

On the AFL, the 50+ metre goals with drop punts are generally on the run. Most having a genuine crack at goal from on, or just outside the 50metre mark from a free kick, will use the torpedo.

HH, I still think its a small percentage would actually use a torp in the AFL outside of 50m as a set shot. Its used more these days in kick ins from a point more than anything else to try and get over the top of a zone.

Back on league and in particular the Sea Eagles, DCE's kicking for touch is exceptional. I would say he is the games no 1 atm for that particular skill.

Torpedos' aerodynamics are useful for high bombs, for distance and for skidding. Just difficult to get the accuracy right.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4