King ruled out of Manly NRL opener

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly will have to dig even deeper into their ravaged front row stocks for Saturday night's NRL season-opener against Melbourne after co-captain Jason King was ruled out with his ongoing shoulder prob
jason-king-115x1151.jpg
lem.

Unheralded off-season signings Josh Starling and Dunamis Lui are now battling it out to partner Brenton Lawrence up front against the Storm pack at Brookvale Oval.

Former South Sydney fringe prop Starling is likely to start, with former Brisbane player Lui to come off the bench.

Last year's grand finalists are also without winger Jorge Taufua, due to a shoulder problem, and fellow try-scoring flyer David Williams remains in doubt with a knee injury.

Williams trained separately from the team at Narrabeen on Monday, but still hopes to prove his fitness.

Peta Hiku and Parramatta recruit Cheyse Blair trained outside Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai on the flanks on Monday, suggesting they will get first crack against the Storm.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey, re-signed by the club through 2016 last Friday, had hoped King would be fit for Round 1 after missing the majority of the past two seasons.

Manly's prop resources were decimated in the off-season with Brent Kite and George Rose leading the long list of departures.

But Toovey is confident Manly will stand up to be counted against Rose and the Storm on Saturday.

"We've got our own issues there but we've been training hard," the coach said.

"We're a bit shy there. You never know we might pick up someone along the way. We're still open to signing (another prop).

"I think there's always pressure on those clubs that have performed the year before and we're no different.

"We've got our targets set high and hopefully we can achieve those targets. We're pretty confident with the playing squad we've got, we've just got to keep everyone fit and healthy."

Starling only played seven matches for the Rabbitohs but is confident he is capable of stepping up for an entire season if required.

The 23-year-old says the high standards set by Manly's forward pack over the years presents a significant challenge.

"They've got a very good reputation of being a tough forward pack here and I don't want to let them down," Starling said.

It was initially feared Williams may miss the entire season, but it turns out his knee suffered only deep bruising rather than structural damage at the Auckland Nines.

"I haven't run with the boys yet but it's only early in the week," he said.

In good news for Manly, the Stewart brothers Brett and Glenn have had their first injury-free pre-seasons in some time.

By Ben Horne
AAP

http://www.nrl.com/king-ruled-out-of-manly-nrl-opener/tabid/10874/newsid/76532/default.aspx

Manly will have to dig even deeper into their ravaged front row stocks for Saturday night's NRL season-opener against Melbourne after co-captain Jason King was ruled out with his ongoing shoulder problem.

Unheralded off-season signings Josh Starling and Dunamis Lui are now battling it out to partner Brenton Lawrence up front against the Storm pack at Brookvale Oval.

Former South Sydney fringe prop Starling is likely to start, with former Brisbane player Lui to come off the bench.

Read More

Jethro said:
Manly will have to dig even deeper into their ravaged front row stocks for Saturday night's NRL season-opener against Melbourne after co-captain Jason King was ruled out with his ongoing shoulder problem.

Read More

I would have Lawrence and Josh Starling and Jake Trbojevic and Dunamis Lui as my props, I would be more concerned If Lawrence was injured.

Don't care who wears the Manly colours, the magic of Manly will infuse them all :angel:

All the best to Kingy, teach them young guns!

Good opportunity to get the young guns hungry to show their wares in game 1! I'm sure they will be going nuts to nail down a permanent spot.

I think Josh Starling will be the new star in the front row, has waited for his opportunity and will take it

I reckon Hasson will be our 'find' among all the props. He played really well for Ireland in the World Cup and mixes ability with a streak of aggression.

I can't say that I'm surprised by this development. It is a worry because he has had an enormous amount of time to get it right. I can only assume he has aggravated it during training because on the pre-season show on Fox he looked to be working out pretty strongly.

I want Tyson Andrews to play so I can pretend the commentators are calling out my name in a Manly jersey... so long as they use the first name and nothing about being a prop cos i'm about as big as a blade of grass

Hasson and Lawrence could really revolutionise the shape and how Props play in the NRL. Hasson is almost a carbon copy of Lawrence (the commentators always get them mixed up), and is exceptionally athletic like Lawrence. Not sure if he is as quick....although I don't think too many are as quick.

It really could be a move towards quicker, fitter more mobile props....Tooves may be seen as the great innovator!!

Eagle Rock said:
Jethro said:

Read More

I would have Lawrence and Josh Starling and Jake Trbojevic and Dunamis Lui as my props, I would be more concerned If Lawrence was injured.

I am hearing Jake will be one of the main props this season

What the hell are we gonna do without him.

He missed a big part of 2011 and 2013 and we went ok.

I was expecting King to be firing but as usual he's injured, I feel for this guy he always seems to be sidelined with some sort of injury. Time for the young bulls to rip in and cement there spot in the side.

Im expecting a break out yr for hasson. He has showed some promising signs.

I think starling will also show he was a good buy.

Shame kingy is out but a really good opportunity for a young guys.

NRL 360 reporting King is out indefinitely. I reckon he has had full contact training and the shoulder just isn't up to it. He may be out for a while yet.

mickqld said:
NRL 360 reporting King is out indefinitely. I reckon he has had full contact training and the shoulder just isn't up to it. He may be out for a while yet.

It's a shame but I'm getting the feeling this will be Kingdog's last NRL season. Just hope we can get about 15 or so games out of him.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6