Kite at peace again after anger over being released

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
by Michael Chammas - SMH.com

Brent Kite has known for most of the season this would be his final year at Manly but not until his last game at Brookvale Oval did he realise he was angry with the clu
Brent-Kite-6107466.jpg
b for letting him loose.

Kite, who joined the Sea Eagles from St George Illawarra in 2005, has been forced out of the club he won the Clive Churchill Medal with in 2008 because of salary cap restraints.

Since signing a two-year deal with Penrith in March, Kite has been understanding of the predicament the Sea Eagles find themselves in trying to fit all their star players under the salary cap.

But as the curtain closes on his nine-year stint at the Sea Eagles, the Tongan front-rower admits anger was his strongest emotion at his final game at Brookvale Oval in round 26, ironically, against the Panthers.

''Most of the year, I was pretty diplomatic about leaving, knowing because of the salary cap I had to to move on but the last game at Brookvale and even maybe the Roosters semi-final, I was starting to feel a bit angry and a bit hurt,'' Kite said. ''It was a funny feeling because I had made peace with it and we were real happy to go to Penrith. It's a great opportunity there, but maybe the realisation coming to Brookie - I realised I had just put it to one side.

''I was asked to say a few words after the [Penrith] game but I didn't have much to say. It was like breaking up with someone. Even though you've had good times there's still an element of hurt there. I don't think it's wrong.''

The 32-year-old has only missed one game in two seasons and has been one of Manly's most consistent performers this year, despite carrying a wrist injury.

His strong form is one of the reasons he was upset about being offloaded. He reflected on the Des Hasler era, when the players who weren't performing were the first to be sent packing.

''You can be diplomatic and understanding but sometimes you think to yourself, 'Well, why do I have to go? They could've shoved somebody else out','' Kite said.

''Dessie won't like [me saying] it, but he always had a feel on the go. Whoever he didn't want next year, whoever was going the worst got booted and the better one got to stay.

''I was feeling a bit of that and thinking, 'Why am I going, then?'. Just that realisation that you are expendable is not a nice feeling.''

However, leading into Friday's preliminary final against South Sydney, Kite insists he's again made peace with the move after a conversation with a close friend.

''This week I'm not sad any more,'' Kite said. ''I'm back to making peace with it and understanding and being grateful. This club has been awesome for me and my family and looked after us financially and I hope we were worth the cash. We understand the club has to do what they have to do with the massive roster there. I'm just glad I got to stay as long as I did.''

Manly coach Geoff Toovey has named Brett Stewart at fullback, expecting him to play for the first time since round 25. Peta Hiku has been named on an extended bench and is on standby in case Stewart succumbs to a hamstring injury.

The Rabbitohs have also named an extended bench, including former Storm winger Matt King.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/kite-at-peace-again-after-anger-over-being-released-20130924-2uc99.html#ixzz2frMxharf

by Michael Chammas - SMH.com

Brent Kite has known for most of the season this would be his final year at Manly but not until his last game at Brookvale Oval did he realise he was angry with the club for letting him loose.

Read More

Found that a really good read. Congrats BK on an outstanding career with us and he deserves to finish on a good note as much as any of our previous greats. I'd have no problems if a "Lets do it for Kitey" became a theme for us, much in the same way it was for Beaver in 08.

Good thing Brent wasn't playing for Canberra when making these forthright comments. He would have been fined for telling the truth.
Brent has been a wonderful player for Manly, and to continue to guts it out with a broken wrist is remarkable, but I think the club has made the right decision. It reflects not on Brent; rather, it looks to the future and planning for Manly to be in a further nine final series in a row.

It must be tough after such a long career at one Club and given your all. Financial consideration are not everything but he may look back in a few years time and think it was very beneficial to him and his family. What if he only got another year at Manly but ends up getting 3 at Penrith.

With two years at Penrith he will join the 300 NRL games club. Not many of those 300 gamers have the full prize list of National (x 2 countries) and State representative honours, 2 x Premiership rings and a CCM.

He can remain a manly fan forever though. So it's not all bad!

Go Kitey!

So..this is the second time he's found peace since being released? I hope he doesn't get angry again before game time. ;)

mozgrame said:
So..this is the second time he's found peace since being released? I hope he doesn't get angry again before game time. ;)

Not before game time, but if he could get angry during game time (preferably while taking a hit up) that would be great!

Club legend
More heart than Pharlap who is playing his guts out like he has done every season.
Penrith or no Penrith, I will alwyas be a fan of the big man.
NYEagle

MadMarcus said:
mozgrame said:

Not before game time, but if he could get angry during game time (preferably while taking a hit up) that would be great!

Agreed. There's nothing better than an angry Kite. He kicks ass!!

It's a shame that we have to let legends like Kitey and George go due to cap restraints but it's better than cheating, like Melbourne.
Next year Kite will be a Sea Eagle in a panthers jersey.

It is a shame that the cap does not reflect long service, and by that I mean realistic long service, within the NRL

You would think anything over 7 years at a club deserves some break

Maybe Brent and George will be the only away players we will cheer and not boo when they run onto the field next year ?

lsz said:
It is a shame that the cap does not reflect long service, and by that I mean realistic long service, within the NRL

You would think anything over 7 years at a club deserves some break

It does and the club uses it. But it's capped no matter how many players meet the requirement (which is 8 years IIRC) and given the relatively large number of players we have that qualify, it's a bonus that dries up quickly.

It's a grey area I'd like to see more discussion about between the clubs and NRL. I don't agree with the junior waivers (to much imbalance there) but long-service needs to be better rewarded.

A real great role model for any youngster who wishes to play the game.
A great clubman and will be sorely missed.
C'mon Manly give Kitey one more premiership ring.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6