Kite firms as good fit for Bellamy's Origin playbook

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stiffi

Reserve Grader
THE carefully structured dynamics of the NSW team have catapulted Manly prop Brent Kite into contention to play for the Blues in State of Origin II.

Gold Coast prop Luke Bailey had been considered a walk-up replacement for injured prop Ben Cross for the game at Suncorp Stadium on June 11, but Kite's mobility may give him the edge.

The Herald understands that Kite - who was left out of the Blues team when it was picked for Origin I despite playing for Australia against New Zealand a few days earlier - may be favoured to take the position ahead of Bailey.

Another contender is Sydney Roosters prop Mark O'Meley, who has impressed selectors with a return to form in recent weeks. After the Blues defeated the Maroons in Origin I, the Herald revealed elements of coach Craig Bellamy's plan that successfully shut down the Queensland players he coaches at Melbourne.

Part of the plan was to balance the forward pack with enough quick and mobile players to block runs from dummy-half by Maroons hooker Cam Smith. For the plan to work, it was imperative that props Cross and Brett White, and Willie Mason were never on the field at the same time.

If selectors opt to maintain that balance, Kite or O'Meley may get picked in front of the smaller Bailey. The team will be named on Tuesday, and the race is so tight that form in this weekend's NRL round will have a big bearing on which of the three is selected.

Cross was named as a starter for Origin I, but ended up coming off the bench, with the quicker and more mobile Sydney Roosters second-rower Craig Fitzgibbon starting at prop after being named on the bench. Whoever replaces Cross could be named as a starter, but it is just as likely that Fitzgibbon will start in Origin II.

Barring further injuries, the loss of Cross, who has had an operation to repair the broken thumb he sustained in Origin I, is expected to be the only change to the NSW side. Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley would have been a big chance of being named in the 17-man squad had he been cleared to play this weekend, but he is still recovering from a fractured cheekbone, and without being able to prove his fitness - particularly following a serious facial injury - he becomes too much of a risk.

In any case, Brisbane's Peter Wallace, who took the halfback spot earmarked for Gidley, did a superb job in Origin I, and St George Illawarra utility Ben Hornby did everything asked of him when he came off the bench.

If Kite's mobility gives him the edge, why wasn't he picked ahead of Cross in Origin 1, who is about as mobile as the Queen Mary?

From memory we play the chooks before the next SoO

They should be missing Mason, Fitzgibbon, Tupou and Myles, and possibly O'Meley if he gets this spot

I've got to say I really can't fault the selectors on their team selection in game 1. Its unfortunate that kite didn't get picked but you gotta admit, belamy picked the best team to suit his gameplan.

Do we really want to play the chooks at half strength?
I just want to know how we would fair if we played them full strength. Rather know now than in the semi's

Canteen Worker link said:
[quote author=DVS Matt link=topic=177575.msg185569#msg185569 date=1212040842]
hopefully Kite is out and we can roll the chooks at Brookie
Why do you want Kite out?????
[/quote]

Out of blues squad ;-)

There's a very high chance we'll lose Lyon to SOO as well given Gasnier has done his hamstring.  So that'll be up to 3 players out.  Let's hope Bell is back in time and even Bani!

hoax1210au link said:
Do we really want to play the chooks at half strength?
I just want to know how we would fair if we played them full strength. Rather know now than in the semi's

At this stage we're only two points ahead of 11th spot on the ladder.

I'll take the win at this point in the year to be perfectly honest. At least it will give us a chance to see how we'd go against them in the semis.

Last night on the Footy Show there was a segment with Lady Luck at Manly training. It showed Bell doing some heavy lifting. My guess is that he is fit to play, considering he has an elbow injury. You don't tend to lift with bad elbows!!!!

I hope that Kite and Lyon don't get picked.  The premiership is all.  Who cares about were people were born or played their first footie. Way to many injuries come out of these TV games.

I tell you who cares - the players. They love representing their state and playing at the top level. It is important to them and getting players picked for rep helps attract players to the club.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7