AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly is demanding answers from predecessor Eddie Jones after full back Chris Latham suffered a potentially season-ending knee injury on Saturday. Preliminary scans found Latham tore both his anterior cruciate and medial ligaments at Queensland Reds training on Saturday. Latham was apparently hurt after scoring a try in a game at training. The Reds said today early reports indicated Latham would require a knee reconstruction and be out for the entire Super 14 season. The 31-year-old will visit a specialist on Wednesday. Reds head coach and ex-Wallabies mentor Jones said Latham was the victim of a "freak accident". "It was just one of those freak accidents that happens in sport," Jones said. Connolly said Latham had only just finished with a Wallabies three-day training camp in Canberra. "We're going to ask for a report out of Queensland about how it happened because he was in the 22 RPA group supposedly staying out of all contact," he said on ABC radio. "It happened on Saturday the day after he'd had a three-day camp at the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) with us. We've got to get a full report out of it to understand exactly what happened." Connolly said although Latham faced a lengthy rehabilitation, he was still hopeful he would be available for the Rugby World Cup, which starts in France in September. "We haven't got the full picture yet," he said. "He's seeing Peter Morris, a specialist, again on Wednesday but yes he has to have his ACL done and it is very disappointing. "We have got six months, so we have to make sure we find the best rehab for him and get him back on deck, but these things do take time." A veteran of 72 Tests and 110 Queensland caps, Latham has become a mainstay of the Australian backline for several years and a key figure in the Wallabies' Rugby World Cup hopes. The Super 14 season starts next month and ends in May. Australia plays Tests in June against Wales and Fiji before the Tri-Nations series with New Zealand and South Africa. Australia's backline depth has already been weakened after the decision to allow Mat Rogers to return to rugby league with NRL newcomer Gold Coast Titans. The Wallabies' opening Rugby World Cup game is against Japan in Lyon on September 9. Australia's Rugby World Cup campaign had already started off on the wrong foot with Lote Tuqiri among four players sent home from the training camp in Canberra after failing fitness tests. Wingers Tuqiri and Mark Gerrard, hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, and centre Morgan Turinui returned to their home states early to undertake fitness programs after failing to meet the required fitness levels. Latham's injury could be a chance for league recruit Clinton Schifcofske to make his mark for Reds at full back. The 31-year-old ex-Canberra Raiders and Queensland State of Origin custodian could be a Rugby World Cup bolter, with his goalkicking skills a bonus.