Lack of Pace

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Lets make 1 thing clear - the way we are getting skittled up the middle, its tough to create chances out wide.
Is it too much for Lyon & Matai - well its a hard call because we wouldnt know if they are carrying injuries to boot & playing busted as the team hits desperation stakes.
Even with limited chances they are not really even winning man on man combats atm & look a few yards slower than they were.
Stewart & DCE are the only 2 backs who look up to the pace against quick opposition.
Its time young Tom Trjobovic starts the next game & stays in the top grade from there - thought he was near our best in recent games??
Also that spark up the middle - glad Ballin took a few scoots but Hodges needs at least 10 minutes each half to add zip to a sluggish ruck area.
Though there are plenty of concerns with the current team I think lack of pace is obvious & when you combine it with a dominated pack it makes the challenge extra tough.
To rely on the skills of a quality 7 is not the answer without the right balance & there were 3 - 4 opportunities DCE created tonight that were shut down by lack of pace out wide & lets admit it, great Brisbane defence.
The only way to inject the speed needed is both Hodges & Turbo - as there are not a great deal of other options to keep up with the slick young players who are thriving on the pace of the modern game.

The amount we are relying on individual brilliance from DCE to create opportunities atm is disgusting. So little attack offered from all of our forwards.

The amount we are relying on individual brilliance from DCE to create opportunities atm is disgusting. So little attack offered from all of our forwards.

Not hard to see why the original reason behind him signing with the Tits was that he would play behind a better forward pack.

Other than Horo, Leary, Jake T, Burgess and Sao, the rest other than Matty Ballin's 54 tackles were passengers tonight. Mason and Lui may as well have watched from the stands for all the good they were out there. 6 runs for 54 metres between them.

As for the lack of pace.....the only Manly players with any pace are Snake, Turbo Tom and Gutho. Snake though isn't as fast as we'd like to remember, Tom didn't play tonight and Gutho is out with a bung knee.

Not hard to see why the original reason behind him signing with the Tits was that he would play behind a better forward pack.

Other than Horo, Leary, Jake T, Burgess and Sao, the rest other than Matty Ballin's 54 tackles were passengers tonight. Mason and Lui may as well have watched from the stands for all the good they were out there. 6 runs for 54 metres between them.

As for the lack of pace.....the only Manly players with any pace are Snake, Turbo Tom and Gutho. Snake though isn't as fast as we'd like to remember, Tom didn't play tonight and Gutho is out with a bung knee.
I would whittle that list down even further to Leary, Horo, and Jake T based on tonights action. Burgess does not run with any venom at all. We really struggle getting out of our own half this year.

Yeah I won't really argue with you MWSE. Burgess has been ok, but a number of games this season has shown why he was the one Burgess brother who couldn't crack a regular first grade spot at Souffs.

Well, it's not as it 2V and Teflon Johns didn't know that Tom Turbo and Jason Hodges are the two players Manly needs to score points! It's been obvious all this season that we've lacked pace, youth and enthusiasm. Unfortunately age and injuries have caught up with Lyon and Matai. Ballin is no longer an 80 minute player.
So, I can understand why 2V will probably be replaced. He won't make the tough calls on selection.
And what has Johns brought to our skillset? Nothing.
He's an idea: How about we try something different with kick offs, or from a scrum?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6