Large Hadron Collider team sent death threats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
SCIENTISTS about to conduct one of the world's biggest physics experiments have received death threats amidst fears they could destroy the world.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a giant particle accelerator built by European science organisation CERN, will start its atom-smashing activities tomorrow in an experiment it is hoped will uncover some of the secrets of the Big Bang.

When the accelerator is fired up, two parallel beams of particles will be blasted around the underground ring in opposite directions.

At four locations on the circuit, superconducting magnets will bend the beams so that groups of protons smash into each other in a giant chamber rigged with equipment to record the collisions and their aftermath.

By doing this the LHC team hopes to recreate conditions similar to the Big Bang and find answers to some of the biggest questions in physics, such as how to explain mass, gravity and dark matter.

Despite the expected scientific benefits, some fear the experiment could create black holes that will eventually swallow the Earth. German chemist Professor Otto Rossler even led a last-ditch legal attempt to stop the experiment.

While recent studies have disproved the doomsday scenario, CERN scientists have reportedly received death threats and pleas to stop the experiment.

Professor Brian Cox of Manchester University told the British Telegraph newspaper that LHC scientists had been receiving threatening emails and phone calls demanding that the experiment be halted.

But Prof Cox, ex-keyboardist for 1980's pop group D:REAM, dismissed the hysteria in rock-star style.

"Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a t---," he said.

The LHC experiment will be several times more powerful than anything else of its kind.

Scientists expect to find the theoretical Higgs-Boson Particle, or the God Particle, and gain a better understanding of things like antimatter, parallel universes and dark matter.

Yeah I have been eagerly awaiting this since they announced it a few years back

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178362.msg196229#msg196229 date=1221002943]
Yeah I have been eagerly awaiting this since they announced it a few years back

nerd
[/quote]

Coming from you Mr Chemist!

Its some interesting ****, and could finally give us the "Dark Matter" that has been searched for, another nail in the theist coffin

I'm a nerd when it comes to the LHC. These are exciting times and although results cannot be guaranteed and could take a long time this is one of the greatest commitments by mankind to solve the almost unexplainable. Some one should start up a burn the witch burners movement.

Dan might know more about this than me, but I thought the Higgs was seen on the last model when they turned everything up to 11, but not clearly enough to be certain of it? Might have seen it in New Scientist at some point

The Gronk link said:
Dan might know more about this than me, but I thought the Higgs was seen on the last model when they turned everything up to 11, but not clearly enough to be certain of it? Might have seen it in New Scientist at some point
As far as i know the Higgs Boson is still "elusive". Which we all know is science speak for, we may have seen it but can't be sure.

From teh articles I have read, and I havent picked up new scientist since last trying to explain an article to Leanne and coming out the other side.

From everything I have read, parts of what they believe is the Higgs Boson have been observed but as yet the Higgs boson has not.

Fark me - I can remember glancing at a new scientist article 18 months ago - what day it is though I have deadset no idea. 

The Standard Model stands at 16+ particles and theoretically works and is used succesfully  in calculations.

What is hoped from the LHC is that we can see what causes mass to work. That is the E=MC2 works both ways, 'breaking; mass gives us energy but more importantly 'breaking' energy gives us mass but we don't know how it is held together. The only constant is the speed of light and a unifying theory needs to look at the inter-relationship between relativity; gravity (and there are some theories that this isn't/hasn't always been a constant; electro-magnetic forces; and quantum mechanics.

If Higgs bosons do exist, which the Standard Model does show to be a high probability, we are currently a long way off knowing whether it is one or more.

Full testing at the LHC is a year away. The LHC can produce energy levels 5 times greater than anything ever produced and we are so close to looking at conditions mirroring the Big Bang which will give us the insight to how matter (and their possible types) and mass inter-relate.

But articles in new scientist are worth remembering, days of the week are not as important

My mother in-law... god bless her stupid soul, rang (how she hit the right numbers is beyond me) last night to tell Theresa she should be drinking every bottle of wine she has in her rack... becauses the world was about to explode, you can't let a drop go to waste.

As for the colider, its very exciting times. This whole Blacke Hole garbage is just rediculous. Even if in the unlikly senario that it did happen, its life would be so short that it's not even worth worrying about.

Surprised no one has swapped the d and r in the name and said "I have a large Hardon collider" boom tish

And Flip I have a rather naive mate who has been ringing me all yesterday as well and when he first heard about it a few months ago.
Even if it does end the world, someone else telling you about it isn't going to stop it from happening!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4