Laurie Daily's congratulates the NRL on tough stance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
dan not posting this as a news story as this arsehole has no place on the front page of this great website.

Laurie Daley says the NRL are to be congratulated on this tough stance
From staff writers
March 11, 2009 Fox Sports rugby league commentator Laurie Daley believes the NRL board has acted appropriately in protecting the game by suspending Manly full-back Brett Stewart for five matches after he was charged with sexual assault.

The NRL has taken quite a hammering since the story broke and, in an exclusive one-on-one interview with foxsports.com.au, Daley says the firm action by the governing body needs to be applauded.

What is your opinion of the five-match suspension handed out to Manly full-back Brett Stewart by the NRL on Wednesday?

I think the NRL had its hands tied (with the issue) and are to be congratulated on this tough stance. The landscape had definitely changed from Tuesday night when Manly indicated that Brett Stewart was going to play (in the opening round against the Bulldogs on Saturday night). At that time, it was only allegations (of sexual assault), but now charges have been laid and I think the NRL has done everything they possibly could.

Has the severity of the fine ($100,000) issued to Manly for the behaviour at their season launch surprised you?

I don’t know about what happened at their (Manly’s) season launch - it’s under an independent investigation by the NRL. In hindsight, yes, they (the Manly players) probably shouldn’t have been drinking alcohol at midnight. It wasn’t the right start to the season and it probably wasn’t the most professional thing to do to leave them (the players) on their own. They (Manly) have to pay the consequences, which is that one of their players has been stood down from the opening five rounds and the club has been hit with a fine of $100,000.

Do you think the NRL has acted with impunity?

I think regardless of the type of issue, the NRL treats them all very seriously. (With this) there is the presumption of innocence which they need to be careful of - and they’ve certainly distanced themselves from the Brett Stewart case. Stewart being stood down is in no way showing whether he is guilty or innocent of these actual charges. It’s actually to do with bringing the game into disrepute. The headlines which have been negative to the NRL over the past four or five days continue to hurt our sponsors and at the grass roots level - it’s just bad publicity.

Are alcohol-related incidents among players a bigger problem now compared to when you were playing?

Well, I’d say it would be, given the fact that over the past six or seven years there have been all these allegations. But having said that, I think the players are quite responsible and 95 per cent of them do the right thing. I think if you went into every workforce in Australia there would be someone who would have committed an offence or something that has brought their company or sport into disrepute. It’s not just rugby league players but society as a whole.

The RLPA (Rugby League Player’s Association) has backed Stewart, do you see them taking the issue further?

They would have to support their player – he’s part of their union. But having said that, the NRL are in charge of the game and they make the rules. If you want to play in this competition you have to abide by them.

Re: Didnt take long for the big nose C@## to lay the boot in

This from the guy he committed an unspeakable act with the Gladiators trophy back when Canberra won the title

That big nose must come in handy for him when sniffing up peoples arses.

How about showing some respect to Brett Stewart's rights Mr Daley you brown nosed twat.

Where was daley when Meninga was up for assault in a canberra nightclub in his playing days

Pittwater Legend link said:
That big nose must come in handy for him when sniffing up peoples arses.

How about showing some respect to Brett Stewart's rights Mr Daley you brown nosed twat.
never forget the day blocka carved him on the radio
"laurie do u smell things even before they start to smell"

The Wheel link said:
Where was daley when Meninga was up for assault in a canberra nightclub in his playing days

Mate, I DJ'd at the Private Bin in Canberra for a number of years and I can tell you for a fact (as in I've seen with my own two eyes) that both Mal Meninga and Laurie Daley were far from angels out on the drink in Canberra....them and plenty of other Raiders...total tossers who loved to throw their weight around and got themselves into trouble frequently.
I laugh at the hypocracy of it all everytime Meniga or Daley make a comment

The Goose Daley was on Fox Sports News last night and wouldnt say where he stood on suspending Stewie, this proves he now has no balls and simply wants to be gallops love child, an absolute fu@#witt. Fu@# you big nose pr#$k

I'm even more livid that the player to grace NRL of fox tonight is none other than Cameron Smith.

Give me a F**king break.

Lets 'ALL' pounce while the chips are down. 1up for News Limited tonight.

Daley is just another News Ltd puppet.  Wouldn't have expected anything else.  I think the club should not have any players turn up for their spots on any Fox program..Hypocrites all.  This will make us stronger.  I hope the club demand apologies from all these wankers when the facts are out.  

As far as i can gather from the police media release, stewart has been charged with 'assault'. Im not so sure on how these things work but it struck me as bizzare that it wasn't defined as 'sexual' assault. I would have thought that would be the terminology given it was a media release.

Chances are this really is turning out to be a drunken stumble.

Well ****. Dunno what to say tbh. If he did it, servers him right to get whatever comes his way.

If he didn't, i can see so many lawsuits against so many people/companies that we won't need to worry about where the finances are going to come from for the stadiums and leagues clubs.

Speaking of money, bet that water pump company is just thrilled to have jumped on board right about now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7