Leave me out after unmanly decision

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
THIS is an open letter to Manly Sea Eagles management from Jeff Collerson, a News Limited journalist since 1968 but a Sea Eagles fanatic since 1951.
"As a member of the Sea Eagles football club (membership No.1061) and of the Leagues Club for 36 years (No.13221) I am sending back my tickets and severing all ties with the club following the shameful decision to axe Peter Peters.

I began following the Sea Eagles as a six-year-old in 1951, when Ken Arthurson was halfback.

My 14-year-old brother Barry and I would trek from our home in Harbord watching our beloved Manly-Warringah play at venues like Henson Park, Pratten Park and Cumberland Oval.

We queued for hours outside the Sydney Cricket Ground to snare tickets to Manly's grand final appearances and during the mid-1950s and early 60s watched with pride as our cousins, George Hugo and Bill Denoon, played in the maroon and white.
Over the years I believe five legends, through their enthusiastic efforts on and off the field, have emerged from this club.

They are Ken "Arko" Arthurson, Bob "Bozo" Fulton, Cliffy "Napper" Lyons, Steve "Beaver" Menzies and Peter "Zorba" Peters. What right have these officials, who have no real history or affiliation with the club, to punt a Manly icon like Zorba?

I suspected there was a hidden agenda when Peters was stood down for his innocuous "you're a good sort" remark and I've been proved right. At this stage I won't be attending another Manly game, although I reserve the right to change my mind if I can sit on the Brookie hill with Zorba."

I'm with KE.

He is only some journalist, not like he comes from a professional background.

Geez that's all a bit over the top.

Afterall Zorba is 66 and has had a great run.

As many others have said the real disgrace in this decision is the timing.

Pathos personified - Zorba crying on the shoukders of a Woman is the Manly Daily's front page. He is also the photo on the backpage and two more pages of Zorba Supporter stories! His Media Management is finaly being applied! Too bad that the Team he loves is not mentioned.
DCE is the future, the health of Kite, Wolfy and Brett is also news worthy, along with a Finals Game.

The supporters of Zorba should answer this question - when is it the right time for him to retire? Not at 66? Well then, 76? How about 86? Even 106? We can argue the toss about timing, but when did the imminent sacking of a media manager anywhere else in rugby league, attract as much attention as this one? Now his supporters in the media and elsewhere (and presumably some of his enemies) are generating this into a much bigger deal than it really is. It won't stop us from winning this week.

The man is at an age when most people, who have had the opportunities at a decent remuneration like Zorba has had, are well and truly into their retirement. Don't feel sorry for him, he'll still have other activities to keep him afloat.

HappilyManly said:
Pathos personified - Zorba crying on the shoukders of a Woman is the Manly Daily's front page. He is also the photo on the backpage and two more pages of Zorba Supporter stories! His Media Management is finaly being applied! Too bad that the Team he loves is not mentioned.
DCE is the future, the health of Kite, Wolfy and Brett is also news worthy, along with a Finals Game.

I agree timing wasn't great and I love Zorba however we really don't know whats been going on behind the scenes and what sort of job he was doing. The clubs financial situation is not great and Perry is obvously keen on a clean out, he will live and die by the results so at least give him a chance. Its common for a clean out in any organisation when a new CEO takes over. I think you will find that Zorba will still be involved somewhere.

To be fair that argument doesn't hold Phantar. Warren Buffett is 81 and still working. If you love what you do then people keep doing it.

It may well of already happened but Zorba may need to quell the media in the 4 weeks he has left as the Media man to stop this silly crap the media is spinning now

Sorry matey. This is the professional era. No more jobs for the boys.

*as much as i like Zorba

ManlyBacker said:
To be fair that argument doesn't hold Phantar. Warren Buffett is 81 and still working. If you love what you do then people keep doing it.
Mr Buffett is self-employed MB. As I said in my piece, Zorba still has other gigs to keep him going. If he's still working at 2KY in the year 2026 at age 81, good for him! I'm not suggesting he needs to retire fullstop. But obviously the board felt he needed to move on. I think we can all agree that there are a lot of 'undercurrents' around this event and we will probably never know the full story.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
It may well of already happened but Zorba may need to quell the media in the 4 weeks he has left as the Media man to stop this silly crap the media is spinning now

Are you that naive? Where do you think this media drivel is coming from now?

Zorba'd be loving it.

The biggest issue manly have had these last years is not the boradroom scuffles or difference of opinions. That happens when 2 or more wills collide, but the leaking of these issues from private meetings and from behind closed doors

Now im not suggesting Zorb was the culprit but if i were Perry i would have no doubt that changes needed to be made to ensure everyone is on the same page and share the companies mantra, and I dare say the axeings should not be limited to 1

At times over the last few seasons the club has been diabolical in its conduct toward the Manly club, regardless of the many good things they also do. Unfortunately many have set the bar too low

In saying that Zorb was a top bloke, its sad for him and for many other people in the organisation , but being made redundant after 200 years service when no doubt they could have found other options is as good a handshake as one can ever expect, especially as the club is exposed to a large financial loss

Good luck Zorb,you have had a stellar career at manly and we wish you the best

Zorba aint no Warren Buffett. I wish he was, as he could have donated a few billion towards the upgrade. Jbb/james says it all.

Volley said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

Are you that naive? Where do you think this media drivel is coming from now?

Zorba'd be loving it.
In Zorba's own words, Manly-Warringah is of course otherwise known as "God's Country." In that spirit (pun intended), he's been on the blower to the Big Guy (not Arko or Bozo - the real Big Guy) upstairs and requested some high-profile (very high) cover from his former teammates, Ken Irvine and John O'Neill. Both of whom have been living in penthouse suites at the "Hyatt Heaven Resort and Spa" since 1990 and 1999 respectively. Expect to see their "beyond the grave" booster pieces about Peter appearing in a Phil Rothfield or Dean Ritchie column very soon. And if God can tee up 1972 GF second-rower (and 1980 1st-grade coach) Allan Thomson as well, that would apples!

Perry was employed to make the hard decisions and this is a hard decision,but he made it and full marks to him.
Cast your minds back to 1989 when Vautin's contract was up, the club made the unpopular decision to only offer him reduced terms, which he rejected, had two bad years at the Roosters and finally retired.
These sort of things happen in every field of employment, sometimes people just don't know when its time to move on.

From The World of Rugby League:

Justified: Well, it didn't take Peter Peters long to prove what was stated in this column only weeks ago when he made the outrageous claim that Darren Lockyer wasn't an Immortal: he proved himself to be a moron. Peters was stood down as the Manly PR man after making a misogynistic and stupid remark to a female journalist trying to get a quote at the judiciary hearing of Glenn Stewart, telling her she was a "good sort". Peters will now leave the club at the end of the year not in disgrace but in what can only be considered humiliation. It is no surprise that Peters would make such a moronic statement. He is a beast from another time who is as belligerent as he is out of touch. Perhaps 2KY will see the light as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4